Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Throttle Body Separating from Manifold

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  gary mcclanahan 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced the throttle body separating from the rubber manifold section?

I have the Lloyds air cleaner kit on my 2008 Jackpot and noticed that while the bolts holding the throttle body to the mounting plate of the manifold are still tight, the rubber portion of the manifold has come loose from the mounting plate allowing the whole air cleaner/throttle body/mounting plate assembly to flop around.

I'm going to try to re-attach the rubber to the mounting plate with some sort of adhesive but I wonder what adhesive material would work best or should I just replace the manifold?

Any advice is encouraged!

#2 ·
Defective

I have an 08 hammer, and had the same problem. The throttle body adapter is cheaply made rubber. The only remedy is to replace the throttle body adapter. Once you order it you'll see what I mean by cheaply made.

When replacing make sure to get the right rubber seals for both the exhaust side and throttle body side, you will need them. These seals are tricky, look at them good and orient it correctly before install.

Also when you order check the flat surface of the assembly when you get it, mines was gouged and scored, I sent it back and got another one.

#6 · (Edited)
I have an 08 hammer, and had the same problem. The throttle body adapter is cheaply made rubber. The only remedy is to replace the throttle body adapter. Once you order it you'll see what I mean by cheaply made.

When replacing make sure to get the right rubber seals for both the exhaust side and throttle body side, you will need them. These seals are tricky, look at them good and orient it correctly before install.

Also when you order check the flat surface of the assembly when you get it, mines was gouged and scored, I sent it back and got another one.
Glad I saw this post, I knew I had a vacuum leak and just now I sprayed carb cleaner at the rubber part and the bike almost couldn't idle. I suspect that damn thing is cracked on my bike too. And I just put a full tank of gas in that sob.... ugh... :mad:

Anyone know a good place to get this part?

#3 ·
This is a common problem, especially on 2008's. I keep 2-3 in stock at all times for every Vic model as the older ones will crack over time, just like the rubber on a tire, although the 2008's actually had a production issue.

#4 ·
Sounds like this issue could cause a pretty bad vacuum leak...?

I'm chasing one now, didn't think to check below the TB before I put the tank back on. Generally speaking this isn't something I would expect to be a problem... darn it!

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I temporarily fixed it by using silicone caulk to glue the metal plate back on the rubber manifold. The rubber did appear to be dried out somewhat so I probably need to replace the manifold for a long term fix.

#7 ·
For anyone who might care, the part in question is the one in the red box below (how could victory makes this out of rubber?! wtf?!?!?!):

Attachments

#9 ·
That's really surprising. The tb seems to be pretty well made from what I saw. How hard (or irritating) was this job? It seems to be pretty straight forward and simple, but I have learned through the years that nothing ever actually ends up as simple as it looks.

#10 ·
Carried it to the dealer to put the boots on and thats when the cracked was found, had to wait a little bit for the throttle body and they put it on no charge for labor. The crack in the flaps was next to the control rod that works them it was small but you could see light between the rod and flap.

#12 ·
I have had to replace it as well. And all the time having to replace the small vacuum caps on the side of the throttle body. I have reinforced them with rubber electrical tape which helped them last longer. But the throttle body adapter has lasted now for about 15000 miles. Knock on wood!!! And now that I have said it, it will probably start leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.