Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Windshield for XR

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  abqhudson 
#1 ·
I just purchased a brand new 2011 Victory Cross Roads (not a mistype or a time warp, this thing has 0 miles) and am looking to add a windshield to it (not fairing), but need some advise:

1. Is there a good after market windshield for the XR? I've checked multiple sites and can't seem to find anything that fits. I was hoping to find a NC switchblade, but it doesn't look like there is one. To add to the confusion, Cruisercustomizing.com says it has windshields for the XR but then the XR doesn't show up in the fitment charts.:confused:

2. If I have to drop $ to buy the Victory windshield, is the one for the XR Lock & Ride?

3. Finally, what windshield height should I be looking at? I am 6'1" and most of it is body (ok, maybe belly :))

Thanks in advance for your advise. Merry Christmas!

#3 ·
I did, but can't seem to find mention of fit for the XR, only the Hammer, Vegas and 8 Ball. Do any of those bikes have the same fitment as the XR?

Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
The only aftermarket I know of is Cee Bailey's (http://www.ceebaileys.com/victory/crossroads_2010_ws.html) but you will still need to stock brackets. You are roped into buying a stock shield for the brackets. The only other option is a fairing from Victory or Wide Open Customs.

No lock and ride, just the four screws in your triple trees.

I bought a mid-height with mine. I am 6' 2" and found it perfect for my needs but always preferred a smaller shield. In my mind, I want something that I can hide behind in a heavy down pour but not one that calls attention to itself. I ended up buying a 15" Cee Baileys. Where the mid-height sent the wind up, skimming at my forehead, (I looked just over it), the 15" puts the wind squarely at my collarbone.

I hope this helps.

Ride safe.

#7 ·
I have the Victory mid-height model. I'm 6'1" with a long torso and it puts my eyes about 3" above the shield. It takes about a minute to take on and off by loosening 4 bolts. About as fast as the switchblade, but you'll need the 5mm Allen in your tool kit. It's a big hunk of plastic, can't imagine how big the tall shield is.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Thanks gents. I had a feeling that I would have to get the Victory one. They sure have no problem charging for it! I will def look at Cee Baileys after. Sadly with this snow, I'll have plenty of time to wait :(

#6 ·
I have the Victory mid-height model. I'm 6'1" with a long torso and it puts my eyes about 3" above the shield. It takes about a minute to take on and off by loosening 4 bolts. About as fast as the switchblade, but you'll need the 5mm Allen in your tool kit. It's a big hunk of plastic, can't imagine how big the tall shield is.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#11 ·
I got the factory short windshield for my 2011 XR. Very happy with it. I am 6'2" and I like the wind on my face, but not on my chest. I can duck down a bit if I get caught in the rain

#12 ·
I also got the short Vic windshield mainly because I hate the look of windshields and I thought the Medium was just too tall and didn't look good. I am 6' tall and the shorty works great and looks good on the XR (but not as good without a windshield). I am still getting dirty air from underneath and you will get that no matter how tall of a shield you get.

#13 ·
no matter what aftermarket shield you put on, you have to get one
from victory first to get the mtg brkts and hardware. no one else
offers the steel[chrome] parts. after you have those you can get the plastic from other vendors. i had 7 jurok make a custom sized one.
so far they are the only ones doing that.--irv

#14 ·
I appreciate all the input! thumb up Now to figure out the size, it looks like a split between the tall, mid and short..

I tried that 7JuRock site but I get an error.

bfp: I've sent you a message about your screen

#15 ·
I had the tall windshield when I first got my xr didn't like it was to tall couldn't see over it traded it back in for the mid size and is just right for me btw I'm 6 ft thinking bout getting a fairing by fall

#16 ·
How much windshield you like is a personal thing. I had to figure it out by trying a couple different heights on previous bikes. I am 6 ft and like to just see over the top in a normal, comfortable riding position. the 24" CeeBaileys wors for me.

Attachments

#17 ·
mmlanes, did the fork mounted lowers improve the turbulent air coming from below? I just put on the vinyl closeouts and hope to try them out later today but of course I'll have to take them off in late Spring because of the heat.

#18 ·
TNXR -- The fork mounted lowers significantly reduce buffeting. WIth those lolwers and that windscreen, I only feel turbulence if the winds are >20 mph, and then only on the top inch or two of my helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.