Votes: 32 46.4%
  • Battery Tender Plus 1.2amp

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • Other type of tender (Please post)

Votes: 12 17.4%

Which battery tender do you use?

13K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  BlueVegas 
#1 ·
Well, now that I have a need for a tender I am not sure if bigger is better or which way to go. Thought I would solicit some input from those who have been using them.

I ride my VV daily (year round riding here in VA) with my TC getting a weekly outting for the most part. Was thinking of buying 1 tender to keep on the TC primarily or use on the VV should bad weather really hit.

Will the Tender Jr. 750ma be sufficent or should I go the 1.25amp as I really am not sure if I need to. To be honest, I am begining to think my truck needs it more than the bikes.. lol.. Thanks in advance for your inputs??

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I use a craftsman tender with the male/female connections. Came with one battery post permanent connector that is on my Suzuki. Autozone sells extra ones though and picked up one for my XR.

#4 ·
There's everything else, then there's

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G3500/specs

It's got a power port connector (optional) if you don't want to bother wiring it in and yeppir, it will charge your truck just fine. The thing that I don't like is that it's a lot smarter than me.

Reactions: joseph
#5 · (Edited)
Something to think about, probably not as big an issue on a bike, maybe the new Visions, with some of the electronics. A buddy of mine has a Z06 that he keeps on a battery tender. Lightning struck his house and it apparently fried his ABS module. Cost him a pretty penny and he replaced it himself. He still has to take it to a dealer because it has to be programmed with a TECH II. He is not sure how much they will charge for that. Anyway, the moral is might want to think about a good surge suppressor if you leave your bike connected to one.

#7 ·
A buddy of mine has a Z06 that he keeps on a battery tender. Lightning struck his house and it apparently fried his ABS module.
Never thought about that before. Though with lightning, I'm not sure there is a man made product guaranteed to ward off the force of mother nature.

I had lightning hit a tree next to the house once and in addition to the tree, it took out most every electrical gizmo in the house. Damn glad it hit the tree and not the house!

#6 ·
Well, now that I have a need for a tender I am not sure if bigger is better or which way to go.
Depends how fast you want to recharge the battery I suspect. I've used the little ones for years though they didn't used to be called a "Jrs." Since I just use them to trickle charge the bikes during winter, I see no rush.

I change a set of the included connectors over to the male heated gear style connectors so I can plug them in directly without taking the bike apart to get at the battery terminals. I also keep the terminal clamps for charging batteries on the tractor and lawn mower.

#9 ·
If your only letting the bike sit for a week or so at a time I really don't see the need to do anything for a charger, you shouldn't be having any issues in that short of time, if you are, its something else. If you plan to park it for several weeks or even months, then a maintainer would be a good idea.

Reactions: 53canuck
#13 ·
for sure anyone can use whatever they like!! and there is nothing wrong with the Tender Jr, Is just that the NOCO genius is way way better,is like comparing... and I don't like doing this :D, but is like comparing: a Harley with our bikes, yes the tender has been in the market for a while so does Harley!! cheers

#16 ·
i have only used the tender Jr on my TC. Its primarily for the bike when i'm off it and with the cooler weather here in Buffalo it cycles on and off keeping the battery up on voltage. i also have it on a surge protector which is plugged into a GFI in the garage, but I think if lightening struck it probably would fry everything anyway. :D

#17 ·
Check this out!

Turn Any 6V or 12V Battery Charger Into A 4-station Maintenance Charger

Published by Cyril Huze December 6th, 2012 in Accessories and Editorial.
With fuel conditioning, lubrication and oil change, routine battery maintenance (cleaning and tightening of cable ends and battery terminals) and charging is a big part of your motorcycle winterization plans.
And if you have several motorcycles or vehicles to care for, the QuadLink® 4-Channel Charger Multiplier is very useful. It is capable of charging batteries whether they are individually connected or joined with other batteries. This 4-channel charger is also very useful for maintaining the charge of multiple 6V or 12V batteries in 24, 36 & 48V series connected configurations.
The simple plug & play system charges the batteries sequentially in ten minute intervals and comes with four eyelet lug adapter cables & 5′ extension leads. Price $99.95. At PulseTech® Products.

#20 ·

Attachments

#21 ·
If your battery is in good condition the Jr will be on maintain within the day. It's all you need.

Cheap alternatives are not cheap. I tried that once and after one winter on a new battery I was buying another new battery. So much for saving $10 bucks.

#23 · (Edited)
Battery Tender Plus

Schumacher SEM-1562A 1.5 Amp Automotive Battery Maintainer and Charger:

Specs:

Unique automatic battery charger maintains both 6 and 12 volt batteries keeping them at full charge using float-mode monitoring. Perfect for charging small batteries. Great for maintaining small and large batteries kept in storage – motorcycles, classic cars, RVs, boats • 1.5 amp charger and maintainer • LEDs indicate: Charging, Charged and Trouble • Automatically switches from Full Charge to Float-Mode Monitoring • Quick-Disconnect Harness – Snap either connector into place in seconds – Use the 50 amp clamps or permanently attach the ring connectors…great for hard-to-reach motorcycle batteries • Reverse-hookup protection

I'm using the Battery Tender Plus and am using it outside and leaving it plugged in all winter. I really like the temperature compensation to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature feature, the 4-step charging program, the safe operations that are built into it and that it comes with a 10 year warranty.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/"]Battery Tender Plus:[/ame]

The Battery Tender Plus 12-volt/1.25-amp Battery Charger is the convenient solution to the challenge of keeping 12-volt vehicle batteries optimally powered when not in use. It is able to charge any lead-acid battery--including standard and sealed AGM and Gel Cell battery types and is also designed to be easy to use in difficult spaces, to utilize a 4-step charging program and safely function in a fully automatic mode.

Specs:

Safe, 4-step Battery Charging

The Battery Tender Plus 12-volt/1.25-amp Battery Charger is much more than a trickle charger. Powered by BTP microprocessor technology, it has a "brain". Utilizing a 4-step charging program (initialization, bulk charge, absorption mode and float mode), it allows you to simply connect the charger to a battery, either in or out of a vehicle, and forget about it until you are ready to put the battery to work. Like all Battery Tender chargers, at the end of the regular charger cycle the it automatically switches its output voltage to a safe, storage or float level that eliminates the need to worry about the damaging effects of overcharging, and the resulting need to check on the condition of the battery. If or when the battery voltage drops too far under load, output power resumes and the charging cycle begins again. The unit also features sparkproof connectors, short circuit and reverse polarity protection, an easy to understand charging status LED indicator, a quick connect harness for use in hard to reach areas and almost no current draw from batteries connected to.

Key Features:
  • Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).
  • Complete 4-step charging program (initialization, bulk charge, absorption mode and float mode).
  • Automatically switches to float / maintenance voltage after fully charging the battery.
  • If the battery voltage drops too far under load, full charger output power resumes.
  • Temperature compensated to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature.
  • Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger.
  • Spark proof and reverse polarity protected.
  • Includes quick connect harness for use in hard to reach areas.
  • 10 year warranty.

#24 ·
I currently use the Megaboost Pro Series 4000. Was using the welbilt but it took a nose dive on me in the middle of charging.

#25 ·
I have been using a cheap Black and Decker 1-2 Amp for several years now and through 3 bikes. I just replaced the battery in my XC and now when I plug in the tender, both yellow and green lights are coming on. I plugged in my son's charger (new and another brand) and no issues, green all the way. I'm thinking that perhaps my old Black and Decker is just shot ? any thoughts ?

#26 ·
I have two ... I use the one that works ....:wink

#27 · (Edited)
I got the Plus as a gift last year and plugged it in once a month over the winter and the lights changed in about an hour. Prior that I've always just used my battery charger. Same thing, just hooked it up once a month when the bike was idle. The charger can put out 6 amps but it monitors the load and adjusts it's output accordingly. Charging the battery drew about 1/4 to 1/2 an amp initially and eventually dropped to zero. I found better results with the charger as it will drive the charge deeper if needed.

The Tender is more convenient with the small plugs so I'll probably continue to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.