Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Dented gas tank

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  saddlebag 
#1 ·
My daughter is a proud owner of a 1983 Honda CB. I was loading it the other day on the trailer and it fell over and dented the gas tank. Do any of you auto body types have any tricks on removing the dents out of the side of the tank?

Thanks

#2 ·
Not seeing the tank its hard to say.
There are so many of thoes bikes in junk yards and maybe even on ebay you could replace cheaper then fixing it.

#3 ·
I was told that if you remove the tank, fill it with water completely, and put it in a freezer the expanding water as it freezes wil pop a dent back out. You'd need to keep an eye on it so you don't burst it. YMMV
Dave

#5 ·
if its small, bondo, if its large glass.

#6 ·
I do paintless dent repair for a living and gas tanks can be a real paint in the butt , if the dents in the right spot it can be fixed right without having to paint it, look in your area for a paintless dent repair guy ( DDR ) , find a good one thats been doing dent for years and you might get lucky. Just search the internet for either PDR or even dent repair, door dings , you get the idea.

With most dings and dent location is everything, the dent has to be accessable from the back side. Check out my website www.dentdave.com to learn more about PDR. Good Luck

#7 ·
How about the can of air and hair dryer trick? Blow a can of air onto the dent can upside down, it freezes then you heat it with a hairdryer

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
I once bought a Ding King at the "As Seen on TV" store in Tennessee. It has a couple of suction cups with threaded stems that you fill with some type of epoxy. Once it sets, you put a fixture around the stem and with a butterfly nut, screw down. This causes the suction cup to lift and eventually the epoxy breaks free. It usually takes a few applications as the dent disappears a little each time.

The "As Seen on TV" store in Tennessee is now gone so you're on your own finding one. You may find it next to the "Thigh Master" on a Google search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.