Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Madstad Brackets!

21K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  orbiker 
#1 ·
I wrote a little bit about this upgrade a couple weeks ago on another thread, but now after riding with them in some Oregon winter weather for several hundred miles and after listening to guys talk almost everyday about their frustration with upgrading their windshields, I thought I owed it to some of you to mention these brackets again!

I came to the XC after riding some very nice sport tourers that are excellent at wind management (think bikes close to Goldwings) and am used to that kind of ride.

When I first rode my new XC with the upgraded Ness Flip screen, I thought all was well until I got above 70... At 70 and above, I was overwhelmed with dirty air bouncing my head around like a bobble head doll.... At first I couldn't believe I spent $20K for a bike that I couldn't ride the Interstate with.

After reading about the Madstad (thanks Johnah5!) on the Forum, i thought I'd give it a try as (at $100) it was less than most wind screens.

I installed it and some soft lowers that I bought off ebay and I have to say that wind management on my XC is perfect for me--no issues up to over 100mph, I can hear my stereo fine, my head doesn't bounce around and my wife says all is good and doesn't ask me to slow down!!!! I put my Ness Flip as low as it goes in the bracket where my field of vision is right over the top of it--perfect with the rain we have here! I am 6'3, almost 6'4 and usually wear a half-helmet.

Madstad sells their updated bracket for our bikes. It fits in the stock fairing holes and uses the stock wind screen holes--no drilling, no added plate; 10 minute install. It has two round finger adjustable set screws that loosen/tighten it up roadside for adjustment (takes about 10 seconds). It adjusts a few inches up/down/forward/rear with whatever screen you attach to it. I've been using my Ness Flip but will put on my stock screen once it warms up a bit out here.

If you use a dark screen and keep it below your field of view, you don't even see the brackets which look much better in person (you forget about them) than they do in pictures...

Anyway, I just shake my head when people say how bad the wind management is with the XC; it's obvious to me that those folks who criticize it have never used a Madstad!

I understand that wind management is very dependent upon your body size, style of helmet, etc., but if you haven't found your sweet spot yet, give this thing a try!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm fairly short at about 5'8". I currently look through the stock xct shield. I really have to crane my neck to see over it. This sucks when the fog whites out the shield!

It sounds like this bracket will allow me to adjust so I can more easily see over the shield right?

Sent using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Yes, but you will need a new windshield too, because the stock XCT uses a different bracketing system. I would recommend an 11" shield for your height. There is a Klockwerks shield for sale in the classifieds section for $100 shipped that would work well for you I think. Just make sure you have rubber washers on both sides of the shield.

#5 ·
It doesn't appear that you would be able to adjust lower then stock height. I replaced the stock shield on my XCT because I was not happy looking through it as well, I'm 5'10" and the Klock Werks is perfect for me, but I bet you could find a stock XC shield and this setup for less then a KW with out cracking issues.

#9 ·
If you're trying to end up with a screen that you look over as opposed to through, I would start by trying to find a screen that, when installed w/o Madstad, is comfortable for you to see over by an inch or so. That way, you would be able to adjust it down for rain or up for long distance touring... (BBob, do you agree with this statement? You've probably tried more shields on your bracket than I have)
Yes. That's a very fair statement IMHO. I'm 5' 9.5" and look over a 13" shield perfectly without the Madstad bracket. Using the same shield on the Madstad bracket I can adjust it with it at its lowest position to tilt back and look over it the same way and about the same angle as it was without the bracket or I can tilt it up and forward to both raise the shield height and change the angle so the wind is directed higher over my head and whomever I might have on the back. I can raise it high enough to barely look over the top or high enough to look through it for maximum comfort in either cold or extreme hot weather. We desert rats have learned to keep as much wind off our bodies as we can on super hot days so we dehydrate slower.

IMHO the Madstad bracket is a must-have item for any XC or XCT rider. Besides the fair price; the results are fantastic. One time I hit a strong head wind with the shield as vertical as I could make it. My gas mileage dropped as much as 10 mpg so I just reached up, while still riding down the road, loosened the two top adjusting bolts with knobs on them and leaned the shield as far back as I comfortably could and gained back 8 mpg or so.

Only the Vision, in the Victory line up, has an adjustable height windshield. This is a close second for height adjustment and even better for angle adjustment.

IMHO, even if someone does not care for the looks of them, at the price they are still a must-have for touring because conditions change all the time on the road. With the Madstad bracket; we can adjust to those changes easily just like closing or adjusting the various crash bar lowers available or stock like on the XCT.

#14 ·
About the only downside I can think of with the Madstad brackets is using them with shield that has a recurve or flip at the top because of the distortion of the area in the flip. If they shield is tilted up to the point of needing to look through it; that distortion would be unbearable IMHO.

This would only be a downside for someone wanting to look through the shield at times. Otherwise it would not be an issue for someone who never wanted to look through it.

The plus is that the flip sends the air flow higher, obviously, so the need to look through it might be negated.

I guess I need to find a flip shield and experiment with that or just trade with someone who has one for a day or even just a few hours.

#16 ·
I did the Madstad brackets and I don't have bugs and debris plastered on the inside of the shield. No more wind turbulence behind the windshield either.

Here is a view from the seat with the Klockworx shield and the Ness Modular Bars.

#17 ·
Looks like my bike without my cool mirrors but with your cool bars... How do you like the Ness bars? Are your hands still protected from cold wind by the fairing?

Have you done a multi hr trip yet in our winter weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#19 · (Edited)
Orbiker

I have the original Klockwerks shield and was looking for a couple of inches of more height. I want to look over shield but wondering if more height with the Madstad system would give the passenger more protection???thumb up

#20 ·
Orbiker

I have the original Klockwerks shield and was looking for a couple of inches of more height. I do not want to look over shield but wondering if more height with the Madstad system would give the passenger more protection???thumb up
I haven't ridden on the back to know if there is wind back there. I don't think there is. With the Madstad brackets you can adjust the height and angle of the windshield. I have tried different adjustments to see what works. While riding; I would reach around with my hand to feel where and how much wind was moving.

#21 ·
Orbiker

I really like the look of those bars. Did you have to purchase any cables etc to get them to fit. How do you like them over stock?

Thanks

#22 ·
I did not need to purchase any cables or extend the wires. The brake is a tad tight and I am hoping I can just get a 45 or 90 for the connection to the master-cylinder.

Check this thread for lots of feedback on the bars from me and BBob.
KEN

#23 ·
I've been toying with both the Klock shield and odom blade on the Madstad brackets and here are my opinions.

1) OEM blade only was ok, but was tiring after full day ride.
2) Klock shield only was horrific and unusable over 60 mph.
3) Klock with Madstad was better, but shield tilted back was to close to my face and too uncomfortable to ride with. Tilted up and it was to uncomfortable to see through while riding.
4) OEM blade with Madstad was simply terrific with some slight adjustments.

I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam just so you can gauge. And all this is my .02.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#25 ·
I just added the Madstad brackets but since I have an XCT I had to order a windshield as well. After reading several riders weren't happy with the Klockworks windscreen, I went with a Madstad screen and am completely happy with it. I was concerned with the 11" being too low but even at it's lowest setting, I have a nice pocket of stable air. The tilt forward really helps. I have it about half way with the angle/tilt.

#24 ·
I just received and installed my Madstad brackets yesterday. I have the Klockwerks shield on now and noticed the brackets helped alot in the quick ride I took before I realized my rear tire had a nail in it and had to head home!:mad:
I have the Blade wind shield but sort of ruined it trying to make it "smoked":(. I have the tall touring shield if anyone wants to trade their blade :)

#26 ·
I'm still lovin' my Madstad Brackets.

Very little water sneaks under the the windshield. Here is a picture with the Klockworks flip all the way at the highest level.

#27 ·
Hey Ken, is your gps attached to your bars or to your Madstad bracket? Been thinking of fabricating a bar between the Madstads to hold my GPS in lieu of it's current place...

#31 ·
Thank you so much for the info and quick response! Would you mind me asking
why the Klockwerks was taken off? Was it not stable enough? Another bad
point to the 7 Jurock for me is that it is set up for the tour 6 hole
configuration. I am thinking maybe I could drill a couple holes in there to
make it work though. Anyone have any experience with that?

#33 ·
I took the Klockworks shield off because it created extra wind turbulence behind it with the Madstad bracket. Also the top was bugging me when I happened to have to look thru it.

#34 ·
When I bought my bike (demo model) it came with a Klockwerks flip windshield and the high OEM shield. Since I am very vertically challenged the flip shield gave me distortion right at my line of sight so I didn't like it.

I ordered the Madstad brackets and their 9" shield and it still proved to be too high so I cut the shield down another 1-1/2" (VERY easy to do, as I did it a couple of times on my last bike too).

I like looking over the shield and once I tried different angles and heights I found the perfect sweet spot for ME. I know would like to fabricate some brackets that mimic my settings so I could rid of the fugly Madstad brackets.

#36 ·
You could make a bracket or use some spacers, BUT

If you were riding and it started pouring cats and dogs or worse, you have an option to raise the shield to block some or most of that rain.

#35 ·
I have them on my xct with the 13madstad shield. Works just perfect. Cust service is outstanding. The first shield I got when opening it had a milky white stain in the shield. I called and they sent another asap no questions no need to return. They are great.

#37 ·
I installed the brackets yesterday on my CC and then went for a 200+ mile ride. All buffeting was completely eliminated all the way up to 90mph. (that's as fast as I pushed it). I have the victory flip I put on shortly after buying the bike. I'm 6' and at the lowest setting I look thru the shield. It's ok for now but when temps go up I want to look over the shield as we have those nasty places where your shield instantly fogs up. I still have my original shield; being the cheap bastard I am I'll try that first. I did notice I get some wind noise from the setup. But the wind was blowing pretty good yesterday so I'll try it again on a calm day. Just wish the shield would go down another one to two inches.By the way I have a Cee Bailey 13 inch I would like to sell.

#41 ·
ok,just looked at my brackets. The knobs are on the inside, and the vertical slider is as far down as it will go. Can't see any othe adjustment except the "attack " angle of the shield to the wind. I had it set at a low angle. I increased the angle which put the bottom of the shield closer to the fairing. I still look through the shield. The shield is 11" from the top of the middle cutout. Any ideas ??

#42 · (Edited)
Rich - You say your 6 foot tall but you are still looking through the shield so I need to ask... "How long are your legs"? That may not be as weird a question as it may at first appear. You see I am 5'10 and EASILY look OVER the shield myself even on my Ness that has a (marginally) lower seated height than the stock XC. Part of the reason may be due to the fact that I have short legs and a long torso (so my head height is typically that of a 6' person). My head is typically significantly higher than most other men seated next to me on airplanes (I travel a fair amount) and there is alway PLENTY of room between the seats for my short legs. If you have the opposite body configuration (e.g. something like 34" legs) then you are essentially "loosing" 4 inches to me when you sit down and that may explain why you look through your windscreen when few others would.

I have the Madstad system and their 11" shield. I typically have about an inch of space under the top position of the mounting. In other words, I could push the screen DOWN an additional inch or so but don't need to.

The ony other question would be "where" are you "looking" specifically because the only time I look THROUGH the screen itself is when I am looking DOWN at the road some 15 or 20 feet in front of me. Of course, you are not supposed to be looking there when riding unless it is slow speeds in parking lots and such as you are suppose to be looking WELL beyond those distances under normal operation to ensure that you are looking DOWN the road, not down AT it.

#44 ·
ndabunka, my inseam is 31', and no I don't look at the ground in front of me I look down the road. Been riding for over 40 years. Rode the bike to work this morning and still look thru the shield. My brackets are pretty substantial, with 2 grooves, the bottom one curves at the bottom end. At the knobs which are also big there is a groove for changing the angle of the shield. Had unexpected company last night so didn't get to take pictures. Maybe tonight. I think I will call Madstat today if there is a phone number on the web page.

#46 · (Edited)
I wasn't trying to offend. I have a 30-inch inseam (it's actually more like 29.75 inches) and am 5'10" tall in bare feet.

Here are some pictures and measurements for your reference. The Madstad is at 8.25 inches from the top of the plastic dash. From where my seat meets the tank it is 30.75 inches to the tip of my nose when riding normally (see my thumb in the pic). That means my eye line is about an inch & a half higher than that so my sight line would be approximately 32.5" above the point where the tank meets the seat. Hope this helps!

Attachments

#45 ·
Maybe this has already been said, so I apologize if it has before hand. But I use the stock windshield from my cross country with the Madstad brackets; without any issues.

The bike came with the Madstad brackets and I believe their 11" windshield and the stock XC windshield from the dealer. The madstad shield was too tall, but the stock works perfectly and doesn't flex too much in the wind. I look right over it; and just FYI I'm only 5'7".

Just food for thought if Ya had the standard stock windshield (not touring) to give it a try.

I intend on buying the 9" madstad down the road when I have extra cash, but this setup works for now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#48 · (Edited)
That may simply be the camera angle. Trust me. I can extend the shield a LOT further up than what is shown. I'll edit a brighter, closer picture for reference. Regardless, I looks WELL OVER the shield as it is shown. Just trying to help the OP get an idea of what I ride with daily and where my head position is so that he can measure his body positions to get an idea of what works (or not) for him.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.