Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Ness modular apes for XC

19K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  orbiker 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone here has put these on their bike yet and how difficult it was and what was all involved. Thanks

#4 ·
I keep eyeing these apes too. I don't remember which forum it was (and I can't find my PMs) but I had asked another rider that had them if he had to buy longer cables....he said he did not.

#6 ·
Found it!:
I really like them. Used stock cables did have to alter (cut) the cruise control bracket. Just did 1200 miles in 3 days, from home to Colorado and back. They were great.
------------------------------------------------------

Was reading a thread about the HMD XC Bagger bars and saw your posts about the Ness modular apes. How do you like the Ness ones? Were you able to use your stock cables, or did you have to also buy those?

Thanks,
Justin

#8 ·
Nope, that was the extent of our conversation. After that happened I found out I had to get some orthodontic work done on my son so that's where my money is being directed right now. Ugh. Apes will have to wait a few months I'm afraid. :mad:

(I also sent you a PM)

#10 ·
Yes, please do! My hope is that someday I'll get a set of those, and when that time comes I'll probably need some help. :D

#11 ·
I have had these bars on for a couple months and like them, they do put you in more forward riding position if you have a short reach and or like a more leaned back riding position you may not care for them so much as they don't have a lot of pullback. The install wasn't that bad just take your time, stock cables and wires work fine for these bars.

#12 ·
Where at in Iowa are you? Can I come try them out? :rolleyes:

Did you have to do anything with the cruise control mount or anything?

#14 ·
modular bars

You guys are more than welcome to check them out, although you guys are quite a distance from me. I live in Charles City Ia, north central part of the state. As far as handle bar controls everything fits fine, there is one minor mod they suggest for the little bracket that your cruze controls mount to which involves a little grinding or cutting not a big deal explained in the directions that come with the bars.

#19 ·
To the comment "they don't have much pull back".... Can't you adjust them back at the bottom of the uprights ? That is the intent of them being modular, right ?

#20 ·
YES!! finally got them on last weekend. Luckily my buddies dad is a retired mechanic and has a heated FULLY loaded garage for us to work in. They went on pretty easily. no real issues to speak of. And they feel awesome. Put a little more strain on my shoulders from pullin my arms a little more forward, BUT They put my back in a much better upright position, which is totally a worthwhile tradeoff. Not to mention the fact that you look WAY more badass riding with them!!! ;-) Overall feels way more stable and controlled for riding.

#22 ·
+1

Would you say you'd be comfortable on a 300+ mile day with them? More/less comfortable than the stock bars?

#24 ·
Oh yeah, I'd have no problem with a ride like that. I would say more comfortable. I went out a couple hours yesterday and today and dont feel any fatigue like I used to with the stock bars.
Heres some pics of the process
Those look great! How hard was it to take the fairing apart?

#26 ·
Those bars look great. I'm wondering how different they are from the NESS apes they sell also? The apes are on my bucket list for my Cross Country. I've rode the Highball and loved the feel of the apes. I'm 6 foot 4 and I'm thinking the apes will be real comfortable even for the long haul.

#28 ·
Wow those are SA-weeot (as my teen would say)! At 5' 10" I am not sure how comfortable they would be for me. Originally I wanted to replace my stock bars with something that has more pullback. I wonder if there is anything out there that has both. I really, really like the look of those bars.

#30 ·
XC,

Is there more adjustability to rotate the grips more towards your body? I have the 2" extended bars from Vic which help with the pullback, but I want to have the grips in more of a wheelbarrow type position.

Thanks,
D2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.