Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

running really rich

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  vindex1963 
#1 ·
Hi was hoping i can get some direction on what might be the problem.Both spark plugs are dry black!!!!I am talking really black!!!Now this is my first Fuel injected bike but from my carb days black means rich.Some guys are saying replace your throttle body adapter and i dont really understand that to me if you have a cracked tb adapter you would be taking in air and i would think that would be a lean condition?the bike is a 2007 hammer shot gun pipes and stag1 download i assume as i bought used.Had bad idle and cleaned TB which didnt even look bad to me but fixed the idle problem but still cant figure out why the plugs are so black.Any ideas would be great

#3 ·
Bike is running ok hard to start but i did a load test on the bat and i need a new one.Still plugs that black are goining to Foul I have always had a carb bike and could jet it no problem i know guys say vic run rich but that isnt right to me.a good running motor should be light brown or tan.Should be the same weather its a carburated bike of FI bike am i wrong?Bikes put away now but going to look into in the spring.

#6 ·
Yes, change battery, get a pair of new spark plugs, and add SeaFoam to your fuel. You never know what the previous owner ran on it - could have been high octane gas, and riding it like a granny, which causes excessive carbon buildup. Change the basics as they have to be changed anyway, put the right gas in the bike, and ride it the way it was meant to be ridden. Then check plugs, and report back.

#7 ·
crossroads are you saying not to run high octane?i usually run 93 from mobil 1.i have heard others say not to run high octane.vic says too.can you explain why you do that.

#9 ·
Not exactly. It just depends on how the bike is tuned.

With Vic's there is no adjustment of the timing. Well, there is now thanks to Lloydz, but the bike is tuned to run on premium. Also, with a Power Commander 5; there is some ability to advance and retard the timing.

I tried running lower octane just like some of our more knowledgeable Vic mechanics talked about and then all I found was I lost power and sometimes the motor would ping. Both of these are solid indications that this is probably not the best thing for the Vic motors.

Do what you want of course; but I am going to stick with premium gas.

As the saying goes; "your mileage may vary". :D

#12 ·
If you are running abnormally rich that downloaded tune could be way wrong for your bike.

Another possibility is one of the sensors not working right. But if that was the case, you probably would get a check engine light.

#14 · (Edited)
You need to take it to the dealer and have them do a TPS reset and calibration. You are indeed running overly rich. Some of the answers that were previously posted do not apply to your year of bike, given that it's open loop fuel injected and not closed loop fuel injected. The Power Commander 5 only works on 08 and newer closed loop FI bikes. The older (07-) open loop bikes have a throttle position sensor that the dealers software program (called Digital Wrench) can adjust. It has to be done properly by a good tech. While they are hooked up, they can also tell you exactly what base map you are running too.

Just as an aside, are you sure you don't have an auxiliary "Dobeck" style fuel controller attached, such as a Ness Bigshot, Lloydz VFC 2 or 3, or something similar? If so, you can easily dial those back yourself, as no doubt, if one is there, it's undoubtedly supplementing unnecessary fuel.

If it's there, chances are it would either be mounted under the seat, or behind the left or ride plastic side covers.

Anyway, just a thought on the fuel controller.

#16 ·
You need to take it to the dealer and have them do a TPS reset and calibration. You are indeed running overly rich.
Agreed.

If the throttle position sensor needs to be reset nothing you do will help. Mine ran like a new bike after it was reset and passed emissions where it failed before and my MPG went up also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.