Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

XR windshield security?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TNXR 
#1 ·
I was looking at some things for Santa to get me and after reading threads on the saddlebags getting stolen I figured I would get the burkus bolts or go to HD and make my own. I then started to think that this overpriced windshield on the XR's ($550) can easily be stolen. Is there any kind of lock made for these? I was wondering if you could replace the allen wrench bolts for some kind of security bolts. I don't worry about it much on my Suzuki because I can get a new one for quite a bit less than for my XR. I know anything on a bike can be stolen but would hate to shell out over $500 for another piece of lexan if somebody wanted bad enough (or just being an ***hole).

#2 ·
You could replace the allen head bolts with Torx bolts. It wouldn't "lock" the windshield, but they would need a special tool that most people don't carry. The harder you make it the less likely someone is to steal it. But then again NOTHING is 100% secure.

You could also drill a hole in the bottom of the windshield mount and use a coupler lock for trailers like these:

#3 ·
Security head torx will work but make sure you get the flush or domed head bolts. If there's enough head to feel then there's enough head to grip with vise grips.

Like Goat said the harder anything is to steal the less likely it will be stolen. FYI though if someone wants something bad enough they will figure out how to steal it. The good part about the X bikes is that there aren't a lot of them around so your chances of losing parts to those who prefer not to pay is extremely low compared to other brands. Not knocking HD but they have had a lot of models over a large span of years that use the same bags so they are a lot more desireable to thieves.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I was on Brukus website messing around and saw their security stuff for HD windshields and that is why I posted. Odds are that my windshield will not get stolen and I don't know anybody who has had one taken but you never know. Meth is pretty bad in my part of the country and the people on will steal anything so they can get $25. Stealing truck tailgates and cat converters are the two worst right now (and I own 3 pickup trucks).

#6 ·
Taking off the windshield with the appropriate tool takes a few minutes. Hotwiring the bike takes even less time. If someone goes for the windshield steal, they're not the sharpest tool in the drawer by any stretch of the imagination.

#7 ·
I have been riding for thirty some plus years an have been to rallies an evens around the country and have never heard of any one having there windshield or saddlebags stolen.
That was the days I was riding a Harley. If any thing some one would get the hole bike stolen.
If your really thinking of doing something look into get a good alarm something that would go off if the bike is tampered with.
Park your bike in well light areas and with hight foot traffic.
I guess some one could take a mirror or pull a side cover and walk away with them.

#8 ·
I just thought it strange Victory supplies bolts for the passenger backrest to keep it from being stolen but the windshield which costs more does not have such security options. I am not to worried about it, been on a bunch of trips on my Suzuki and it has never been messed with at night in hotel parking lots, was just curious more than anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.