Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

The Vision is not a Cadillac......

10K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  KingpinRider 
#1 ·
Having just picked up a 2012 barely broken in with under 1700 miles and riding it home from Tucson to Phoenix, I have to say that "Cadillac" may be an understatement! After 2.5hrs in the saddle & 150 miles, I felt like I had just ridden around the block a couple times & could easily go another 300 miles! thumb up
I had ridden a Vision once before but not on a straight run like this at 80mph. This is bike #10 over 40 years of riding & I must say, it is a "perfect 10" for sure! dance 1
Perhaps the "Rolls Royce" of motorcycles is more like it?
My previous ride was a 2011 XC, but like someone else has said before, even with improved wind management, you can not make an XC or XCT into a Vision. Now I am already looking forward to a run to Sturgis. :)
I am happy I found a 2012 as Ma Vic has cheapened up the '13's & done away with the lighted badges. As an added bonus, the bike already came with the upgraded air deflectors, stage 1 & HID. I was planning on all 3 anyway. The icing on the cake was finding out the bike had been lowered 1" in the rear. It handles way better than stock
Can anyone tell me if I need new bag inserts with the 1" drop? Me dealer is recommending it but I think the key is to make sure I maintain proper air pressure in the shock.

One more thing, I think Ma Vic should have named this model "Victory Comfort". It is the closest thing to a Lazy Boy on 2 wheels!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats Wayne! I saw this bike for sale and thought it was a great deal for such a nice bike. I'm glad you were the one to score it!

I still think your XC turned XCT is a first class bike though. I hope you don't feel the extra heat on the Vision too much during our mildly hot :)D) Summers. ;)

Good luck on the sale but at the price you are asking; it should go in a minute.

#13 ·
Az "Dry Heat"

Congrats Wayne! I saw this bike for sale and thought it was a great deal for such a nice bike. I'm glad you were the one to score it!

I still think your XC turned XCT is a first class bike though. I hope you don't feel the extra heat on the Vision too much during our mildly hot :)D) Summers. ;)

Yes indeed Bob. Everything comes at a price & I believe my summer rides in Phoenix stop & go rush hour traffic may become a little warmer. The secret is to keep the bike moving for the lowers to do their job. You got to realize, space ships are designed to travel in very cold atmosphere's! :ltr::ltr::ltr:

#3 ·
Having just picked up a 2012 barely broken in with under 1700 miles and riding it home from Tucson to Phoenix, I have to say that "Cadillac" may be an understatement!
Gorgeous. That's my favorite of their color schemes. It seems to be fairly rare as I can't ever remember anyone posting a pic of one with that paint job.

#4 ·
paint scheme

Evidently, must be a popular color since it has been held over for '13. At first I thought the graphics were decaled on but they are part of the complete paint upgrade. Previous owner detailed the crap out of this thing! thumb up

#5 ·
Jokerman
yes add air. I'm 210 and run with 40psi less some railroad crossing I will bottom. I did crack my inner bag and repaired it with black silicon so it doesn't leak.
Keep you eye out for railroad crossing and deep pot holes.
Vision is the one bike I can ride day after day and don't feel the pain like that other v twin

#6 ·
i just can't get by the looks of a vision, hell my xr took me a month to get used to, someone at the biker rags swap meet today said it looked like a space ship.

#9 ·
Spaceship

Yes indeed. When I bought my XC new I was told that the Vision was the ultimate ride but as I told the dealer at the time, I don't want to have to dress up like Flash Gordon when I rided :ltr:
I flat out said that "that bike is just not me". However, after 2 years & obtaining my AARP card, comfort has won hands down over looks. Plus, I have the cover plate to install when I remove the "space pod". I plan on having a 2 season bike like my XC. Use the trunk in winter when I carry extra gear & mothball it in summer to enhance the looks & performance. :)

#7 ·
If I was looking for a Vision, that red one would be my choice. Beautiful bike. Good luck and ride safe. Wonder why a person would get rid of a new bike like that. Whatever, you picked up a beauty.

#10 ·
Congrats! I think you got one great lookin ride! Told ya it would really become a better ride after 300-400 miles in the saddle. I have got the space "ground control to major Tom" more then once. Could care less because this bike is a blast!

#11 ·
Well Wayne congrats !! thumb up,yes I've heard that the Vision looks like a spaceship more times than I have fingers and toes ! I do call my Vision my Bently to all that asks . As for those hd guys that call it a spaceship,all I can tell them is I'll be on Mars while there still gettin thier buttsores healed up! :ltr::ltr:

#12 ·
Who----

Who cares what the Harley people say? If we did none of us would be riding the Victory anyways. When I got my new Triumph in 05 I put up with a lot of people turning their noses up at my bike, so what! I enjoyed the bike and it was a very good bike. Even had one guy on a Harley call it a wanta be Harley. Let me see a Triumph parallel twin is suppose to look like a v-twin engine in a Harley, through his eyes I guess, get real guy, or should I have told him to buy some new glasses,ha,ha. Lots of bikes out there have v-twins powering them and there has been in the past, Harley was not the only company to use a v-twin. V-twins are also used for industrial engines for example Kohler has several models.

#14 ·
My Vision is identical to yours, same year and color scheme. I've posted in another thread that this bike get more admiration than any other bike I've owned. People have actually waited for me in parking lots of stores and restaurants to talk about my bike. Most people like the way it looks.

#15 ·
Sunset Red!

Jokerman, congrats on the new ride!! I really like it, of course I should.......I have the twin of that in my garage.

On Nov 17, this year I picked up a 2012 Sunset Red VV, 1200 miles, with HID (aftermarket), backrest, trunk luggage rack, passenger back rest, and rear rack. I love it so far and have lots of plans to "improve" it along the way.

I will be adding CycleOps deflectors in powder coated black, upper and lower. Will also be looking for tidy ways to mount my Zumo and V1 detector, so any and all ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Can't comment on the lowering; mine is stock height. At 6' height, I am comfortable with the ride height and the low speed handling and stability is awesome.

Enjoy the (s)miles!:D

#16 ·
Just picked mine up today. Love the bike. Don't like the trunk so Thai is coming off unless long overnighters. Also need to get the bike lowered. I am 5 10 and one inch would make a world of difference. Have to wait for Ness pipes. Stock pipes suck. was all set to go XC but Jokerman's review and a few others helped me go Vision

#17 · (Edited)
Pics Dave Pics!!!

Did you trade the Jackpot?

What do you think of the difference in it handles compared to your Jackpot?

Give the Vision a chance before you go lower it and screw it up. I'm only 5'7" with the short legged body of a gorilla and I got no problems with the seat height.

#18 ·
So I am all set to get the XC then I try the Vision. I am a little on the nonconformist side of things so it fits my personality. Like the look, ride, etc but that trunk has GOT to go. Pics coming

#19 · (Edited)
I am going to mess with rear shock a liitle. I think it is set up for someone much heavier than me. I did trade the JP in. I wanted to buy from my local dealer but they don't do trades. I got a really good price considering the bike has 35,000 miles on it. Plus there was a $1,000 in accessories so getting the Ness pipes. Weird how when you ride a quiet bike you notice sounds you never heard befire

#22 ·
Congrats a little late. I just got a Vision an 09 Midnight Cherry and it is Cherry. I bought it and rode it 462 miles home. This thing is a dream on the hyw. I'v owned Moto Guzzi's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Harley, two Goldwings GL1500/GL1800 even triked the 1800, XCT and now a Vision. I've liked most of them some more than others but when the Vision came out i did not like the look. But over the years it has grown on me and I wasn't even looking to buy one this time but I got a great deal on it, and could not pass it up. Glad I didn't it's a great riding bike.

#23 ·
First off I lowered the front end by loosen the pinch bolts on the triple trees and sliding the forks up till they hit the handlebars.
It only lowered the front end about a 1/4" or more.
What it did was really make the front end more stable when behind semis and bus's. It did not change the handling one bit.
Later on I lowered the front end more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.