did my own 500 mile service. - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 10-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
TNXR

Default did my own 500 mile service.

Nasty and rainy weekend so I figured instead of bow hunting on Saturday I would tackle the 500 mile service. I had taken my bike in for the 500 mile to my dealer but he just changed the oil and said the rest "should be alright". Instead of arguing and hoping he would do it right I downloaded the service manual and read up on it. Got all my tools in the mail this past week so I was good to go.
Got the XR on my cheap ol HF lift and put one strap across the seat and the other through the bike on top of the crank case and raised her up. Bike did want to tetor back and forth a little so I put some scrap wood under the front tire to help stablize it. I then spent a good part of the day working on the dang belt! It had streched some so I found the tightest spot and turned the adjusters till it was right at 32 mm deflection. The part that frustrated me was trying to center the damn belt on the pully. Followed the service manual, rotated tire backwards and tightened till belt came off right side and the forward and lossened till belt started tracking back to the right (using left adjuster bolt and making sure axle was pushed against adjusters). Everytime I thought I had it the stupid belt would just end up tracking all the way back to the right side of the sprocket. I messed with this a couple of hours more till I finally gave in. Belt was on the right side of the rear sprocket when I bought the bike and after hours of adjusting it is still on the right side. Took the bike for a quick spin down the highway and put the cruise on 55 and let go of the bars and everything was tracking pretty straight.
Everything else was fine on the bike except the throttle had too much play in it and was sticking on me so after adjustment and a little WD behind the 106 wedge it is working much better.

Last edited by TNXR; 10-29-2012 at 06:04 AM.
TNXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
vagabondjpm

Glad to hear you got it all taken care of.

My 500 miles was done by the dealer (trying to keep the relationship going) but he wouldn't adjust the belt as it needs to be cold for adjustment. (I rode 65 miles and waited for service to be completed.) When I tackled the adjustment on my own, thankfully it was reasonably close and lacked little adjustment. Since I often do my own maintenance, that experience helps when lining it up.

If your throttle still sticks, look for the throttle calibration procedure. Mine used to hang up when I canceled my cruise and it fixed it.

The WD-40 works well for spraying behind your display toggle switch to keep it clean and working properly, especially if you ride in the rain.

Ride safe.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Lem
Lifetime Premium

Was it the Service manager that told you just an oil change was all that was needed? If so I would complain to Victory about that, no need to have people skipping maintenance and (most likely) charging the full price of said maintenance. Vic would be especially interested should something like this happen on warranty/tsb/recall work, because then it is them footing the bill for incomplete work.

I am hoping all they charged you for was an oil change if thats all they did.

2009 Pearl Red V-Star 950
Sold
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
TNXR

I didn't get charged anything, made the 500 mile service part of the deal on the bike. I thought about complaining to Vic but decided to let it go since I don't trust anybody to work on my bikes, trucks, lawnmower, etc buy myself.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Lem
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNXR View Post
I didn't get charged anything, made the 500 mile service part of the deal on the bike. I thought about complaining to Vic but decided to let it go since I don't trust anybody to work on my bikes, trucks, lawnmower, etc buy myself.
In that case, if I were you I would find out what they normally would charge for the FULL 500 mile service, subtract the cost of an oil change, and then ask for a refund of the amount thats left. They essentially charged you for a full service if you bargained for it during purchase of the bike, so they owe you for that service. If you have to, go to the manager/owner of the dealer if the service department is screwing you like this. Bargaining the 500 mile service into the purchase agreement then them just doing an oil change and skipping out on doing it right is down right robbery in my opinion.

2009 Pearl Red V-Star 950
Sold
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
rainman123

Where did u get. The tool to check the belt with I will be doing my 5000 service this weekend
98 t-bird traded for rocket
73 sportster sold
72 honda 350 long gone
rainman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNXR View Post
Nasty and rainy weekend so I figured instead of bow hunting on Saturday I would tackle the 500 mile service. I had taken my bike in for the 500 mile to my dealer but he just changed the oil and said the rest "should be alright". Instead of arguing and hoping he would do it right I downloaded the service manual and read up on it. Got all my tools in the mail this past week so I was good to go.
Got the XR on my cheap ol HF lift and put one strap across the seat and the other through the bike on top of the crank case and raised her up. Bike did want to tetor back and forth a little so I put some scrap wood under the front tire to help stablize it. I then spent a good part of the day working on the dang belt! It had streched some so I found the tightest spot and turned the adjusters till it was right at 32 mm deflection. The part that frustrated me was trying to center the damn belt on the pully. Followed the service manual, rotated tire backwards and tightened till belt came off right side and the forward and lossened till belt started tracking back to the right (using left adjuster bolt and making sure axle was pushed against adjusters). Everytime I thought I had it the stupid belt would just end up tracking all the way back to the right side of the sprocket. I messed with this a couple of hours more till I finally gave in. Belt was on the right side of the rear sprocket when I bought the bike and after hours of adjusting it is still on the right side. Took the bike for a quick spin down the highway and put the cruise on 55 and let go of the bars and everything was tracking pretty straight.
Everything else was fine on the bike except the throttle had too much play in it and was sticking on me so after adjustment and a little WD behind the 106 wedge it is working much better.
I don't think the belts are all that sensitive. I adjusted mine for the first time at 12k miles when I changed the tire. The two adjusters were off about 1/2" from one another, so I moved the one furthest back up to tighten the belt a bit and called it a day. I noticed the tension when I pressed on it with my index finger (cold) and compared it to one sitting on a showroom floor and it seemed close enough. Even off a half inch for 12k miles, the belt shows no signs of damage or wear.

FWIW, I notice that mine sits to one side of the rear pulley too. I'll have to take a look at some showroom models to see if this is common as I really didn't notice whether it was like that before I changed the tire. Maybe that's why they put it on there crooked to begin with?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
ridealittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman123 View Post
Where did u get. The tool to check the belt with I will be doing my 5000 service this weekend
im not 100% sure, but i THINK the harley guage will work.
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
TNXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman123 View Post
I did the Amazon thing and got the motion pro belt adjustment tool (two kinds, got the cheaper one) as well as a 27mm crowsfoot because you can't get a socket wrench to fit plus you will need it to torque the axel bolt when your done. Also got a 16mm allen socket to check the front tire bolt.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
TNXR

FWIW, I notice that mine sits to one side of the rear pulley too. I'll have to take a look at some showroom models to see if this is common as I really didn't notice whether it was like that before I changed the tire. Maybe that's why they put it on there crooked to begin with?[/QUOTE]

The belt deflection was not off by much and fairly easy to adjust. Getting the drive belt/tire to align is a different animal, at least is has been for me. I am OCD over those kind of things so I got off a little early from work yesterday and started messing with it again. I read what posts on the subject I could find with most being Vision forums. One thing I did learn was that when you get the belt tracking to the left (per the service manual) that when you torque the axle bolt down it will move the axle enough to make your belt go back to the right. This is correct because I fiddled with it for a couple of hours yesterday. Kept loosening axle bolt, adjust left adjuster, and torque down axle bolt and then spin tire (forward). After about a dozen attempts I finally got the belt to ride off the right side pulley. Got on the bike and drove down the highway a few miles and back home and of course the belt is back on the right side of the pulley! I have about give up on the idea getting the belt to ride off one of the edges. Just gonna keep an eye on the belt sides to make sure they are not wearing abnormally and do the no hands test to make sure I am tracking straight. Side note, hit 1000 miles on the XR yesterday evening and plan on putting a couple hundred more on it today.

Last edited by TNXR; 11-04-2012 at 05:20 AM.
TNXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement