Surging Clutch??? - Page 4 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #31
Gunslinger
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeoBob View Post

I had not thought of the crows foot idea. Apparently the two techs at the dealer didn’t either. When using a crows foot the setting on the torque wrench would have to go up, right?
Not if it's perpendicular to the wrench!

If you orient the crows foot 90 degrees from the wrench, so that the total length from nut to leverage point remains constant, then there is no calculation necessary. Google crows foot and torque wrench for a better explanation.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
Mags
Premium Member

The crow's foot I was thinking of is parallel to the wrench not perpendicular...

The setting has to go down not up...

The torque values are in foot pounds and that is a leverage value.

Think 1 pound of weight on the end a bar 12 inches long... that applies a turning force on the fastener.

If a crow's foot is added the leverage increases because the bar is now say... 13 inches long giving a greater lever length.

There is a formula for crow's feet and/or tables around on the net.

Have a peek here...

http://www.norbar.com.au/calculators...alculator.aspx

Mags
Old 11-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #33
TNXR

That is correct, I found one of the online calculators and came up with 57.5 lbs for my cheapo HF torque wrench for the rear axle bolt.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #34
BeoBob

Default Fixed

Update on the clutch problem on my Victory XC.

I had my clutch finally give up the ghost at 22,000 miles… yeah, only 22,000 miles. Had it replaced and now this thing feels like a totally different bike!!! It’s like a brand new transmission. Even better than new because when the bike was brand new the transmission was kind of rough and clunky. The original problem of “high spots” in the clutch is now barely detectable when the bike is cold and completely gone when warm. The transmission is sooo nice and smooth now. I will say that again… The transmission is soooo smooth now. It takes half the shift force it used to take and makes half the shift noise. Shifting is now more comparable to the VN900 than a Harley, where it was originally the other way around. For the first time ever on this bike I can hold the clutch and go from 1st to neutral to 1st and not have the transmission complain loudly. This is definitely the way it was supposed to be.

It is obvious this bike had a defective clutch from the start. There was something out of spec, bent, warped, or something that was causing excessive clutch drag. The clutch drag was causing the transmission to work extra hard gnashing gears together. The hope is that there was no damage or excessive wear to the transmission during the 22,000 miles that the clutch was bad. It may or may not matter to me, but it might matter to the next guy.

So for the people that are experiencing high spots, clutch chatter, clutch surge, or whatever you want to call it… now is the time to talk to your dealer. Especially if you are within the 1 year factory warranty. Don’t let them tell you “it’s normal” or “they all do that”, because they don’t.

Mine did. The clutch burned out prematurely. I replaced the clutch. Now the problem is gone.

Don’t get burned like I did.
2013 Cross Country Tour: Stage 1 exhaust, Lloydz Hi-Flow air filter, cams (HOH-VM1-DR), timing gear (HOH-PTS), Power Commander V, Auto Tune module, Gustafson flip shield, OEM passenger backrest with Cycle Ops luggage rack, Vic HID, heel shifter.

2011 Cross Country: Burnt and Traded
BeoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #35
Gunslinger
Lifetime Premium

Which clutch plates/fibers did you go with, Victory or Barnett ?

Quote:

I had my clutch finally give up the ghost at 22,000 miles… yeah, only 22,000 miles. Had it replaced and now this thing feels like a totally different bike!!! It’s like a brand new transmission. Even better than new because when the bike was brand new the transmission was kind of rough and clunky. The original problem of “high spots” in the clutch is now barely detectable when the bike is cold and completely gone when warm. The transmission is sooo nice and smooth now. I will say that again… The transmission is soooo smooth now. It takes half the shift force it used to take and makes half the shift noise. Shifting is now more comparable to the VN900 than a Harley, where it was originally the other way around. For the first time ever on this bike I can hold the clutch and go from 1st to neutral to 1st and not have the transmission complain loudly. This is definitely the way it was supposed to be.

It is obvious this bike had a defective clutch from the start. There was something out of spec, bent, warped, or something that was causing excessive clutch drag. The clutch drag was causing the transmission to work extra hard gnashing gears together. The hope is that there was no damage or excessive wear to the transmission during the 22,000 miles that the clutch was bad. It may or may not matter to me, but it might matter to the next guy.

So for the people that are experiencing high spots, clutch chatter, clutch surge, or whatever you want to call it… now is the time to talk to your dealer. Especially if you are within the 1 year factory warranty. Don’t let them tell you “it’s normal” or “they all do that”, because they don’t.

Mine did. The clutch burned out prematurely. I replaced the clutch. Now the problem is gone.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
BeoBob

Victory... Hind sight is 20/20.
2013 Cross Country Tour: Stage 1 exhaust, Lloydz Hi-Flow air filter, cams (HOH-VM1-DR), timing gear (HOH-PTS), Power Commander V, Auto Tune module, Gustafson flip shield, OEM passenger backrest with Cycle Ops luggage rack, Vic HID, heel shifter.

2011 Cross Country: Burnt and Traded
BeoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #37
visionjohnny

I wounder if you have pulled the front pulley cover and inspected the pulley.

With crows foot torque dos not go up it stays at 65ft pounds

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #38
robvision
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:

Was it covered under warranty ?

It spooks me to read just how bad and difficult it is to get a Victory repaired.
I would have thought a new company like Victory would be bending over back wards to show that an American co. Can kick the competitions ass..... But I just don't see it. And it's to bad.
From what I have read even the dealers don't get much support from mother Vic. And I am not sure if its mother Vic or lazy ass regional managers that are not really interested in doing there job...........
All I can hope for is that they wake up soon because if they are trying to sway the Harley crowd they need to stand behind there brain washing adds.......

Rob
2013 XCT 2013 Suzuki KQ750 AXI Power Steerring
Victory Sport Touring Flag Ship
Lloydz Idle Air Valve
Lloydz PTW
40,000 km
Rear Rack
Passenger Grab Handles
Modified Heel Shifter
HID Hi and Low
Oil Temp Gauge
Ride-On TPS