Exhaust pipes with less popping - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
ndabunka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmmil View Post
My plugs are pretty much black when I have pulled them out, so I am to rich for whatever reason. I haven't killed it at speed and pulled a plug yet though, mine has been after getting home, but its 25 miles of highway driving home for me.
ah, of COURSE they are black. You pulled your O2 sensors so the system simply pours in excess fuel. No mystery here, right?

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs, Ness Radius laydown license, Chrome CAM Tension Covers, Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Opener, Victory Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, Küryakyn Upper Fork Shrouds, Küryakyn Lower Fork Covers, Power Commander V Tuner
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
ndabunka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnail1 View Post
I took the plunge and modified the factory pipes on my bike by removing the baffles. It sounds great but had a little popping with shifting. So I was advised to have Lloyds install their fuel controller, high performance air filter and IAV ...
The IAV is the ONLY thing that addresses backfiring/popping. What have you done to change it's settings/adjust it so far?

Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs, Ness Radius laydown license, Chrome CAM Tension Covers, Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Opener, Victory Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, Küryakyn Upper Fork Shrouds, Küryakyn Lower Fork Covers, Power Commander V Tuner

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-02-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
cnail1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem View Post
If its just popping on decal in gear its fairly normal, just probably made louder with your mods. You can tune it to reduce the amount, but its pretty normal in higher performance engines, take a notice behind a corvette or Camaro or other manual sports car and listen to their exhaust when they come off the accelerator.

That being said, usually a properly adjusted IAV valve seems to reduce popping in our bikes, and from what I understand it works best with the O2 sensors plugged in.

The popping is caused by the fuel mixture in the exhaust cycle when you come off the throttle therefore stop providing optimal AFR as well as spark, but since the bike is still in gear the transmission keeps spinning the engine. When enough gas gets sucked in during the overlap between exhaust and intake valves being open at the same time it can ignite from the heat of the engine and cause the popping. Tuning the popping out is basically making it so the amount of gas coming in is either too much or not enough produce the AFR needed for it to ignite from the heat, but theoretically I believe that means the fuel then gets burned off by your cats instead, the downside to trying to tune it out is that you will not be able to get it tuned out for every rpm under every heat condition and air density condition all at the same time. That little decal popping is not harmful to the engine, a true afterfire can be a warning of something bad, but the decal popping can be avoided by simply pulling in the clutch if you don't tune it out. Some people like the sound of it though.

And shooter, its all about getting the right combination of components to do what you want to do, I have a stage 1 flash, thunder exhaust, and high flow intake, and lloydz adjustable IAV and my bike runs exactly how I like, small amount of decal popping from high rpms but that's just because that's how I ride. Oh and I have my O2's plugged in, there's no real valid reason to unplug them in my opinion, even with a PC fuel management you can leave them plugged in to let your idle maps remain close to factory, all unplugging them really does is richen up your mixture at idle and low rpm's where it doesn't really matter for actual performance.
Very good info here. However, the popping I am having is while shifting gears up when starting out. It's annoying.

1970 Honda CB350
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2012 Black Victory CCT
cnail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
Blueline

Did Lloyd set you straight? It's always better to shift around 2800 and maybe tweak the IAV a 1/4 turn at a time. The popping should at least be minimized if not gone altogether.
116 Big Bore
"The Millinium Falcon"
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Lem
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Very good info here. However, the popping I am having is while shifting gears up when starting out. It's annoying.
Popping while you shift is due to the same effect, however it can be reduced/eliminated by training your right hand to de-throttle at the correct time with your left hand that's pulling the clutch.

E.g. it will happen if you come off the throttle too soon before the clutch is disengaged enough.

2009 Pearl Red V-Star 950
Sold
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #16
cnail1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
The IAV is the ONLY thing that addresses backfiring/popping. What have you done to change it's settings/adjust it so far?
I'm not sure which way to turn it. Kyle told me if I did'nt like the way it cranked up cold to adjust the valve out a half turn, but it could cause popping. So...I would assume turning it in would help with popping. Am I correct?

1970 Honda CB350
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2012 Black Victory CCT
cnail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
Lem
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I'm not sure which way to turn it. Kyle told me if I did'nt like the way it cranked up cold to adjust the valve out a half turn, but it could cause popping. So...I would assume turning it in would help with popping. Am I correct?
Yes, but too far in will make it have a hard time starting, that's why the instructions say to start at 4 turns out I believe, some people run it as far in as 2 turns from what I've read, but if your bike has a hard time starting then its too far in. You can always adjust it during the colder months to give it an easier time starting with a little more popping

2009 Pearl Red V-Star 950
Sold
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
orbiker

Default Thundermax

If you are serious about performance issues for your motorcycle and want a high quality tuner for your Victory motorcycle this is what we need to do.
I have contacted Zippers to find out when they will be coming out with the Thundermax Tuner (CCU) for Victory. This is what they said.

"At this time there are no plans to develop a unit for Victory Motorcycles."

This is the BEST TUNER money can buy for a HD. It is a closed loop system that works all the time. I have on on my Road King and that bike has never missed a beat in 50,000+ miles. It get rid of decel pop and does it own auto tune. It is also very adjustable via a computer linkup that you can do your self.

We all need to email Zippers at:
zippers@zippersperformance.com

and request that they produce a Thundermax for Victory Motorcycles.

This is the best possible mod you could ever do to your bike. KEN

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
dtmmil
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
ah, of COURSE they are black. You pulled your O2 sensors so the system simply pours in excess fuel. No mystery here, right?
No, my plugs are black with the O2 sensors plugged in, the thrush mufflers installed, and the air strip removed. When I did unplug the O2 sensors it didnt seem to run any different, but I didn't run it that long, just long enough to get annoyed by all the popping, like I said it popped between every shift and on decel. I plugged the O2 sensors back in, the popping is pretty much gone, I get one once in a while now, but seems to be when the bike is cold, and the temps here have been cold.
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, thrush glasspack mod conversion(#24201),Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(8*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
ndabunka

Why not try it BOTH ways and see if one way resolves your issues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement