"marbles in a tin can" noise - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
09nessjackpot

Default "marbles in a tin can" noise

Has anyone else heard a "marbles in a tin can" type of noise coming from the right side of the bike, possibly the transmission on my 2009 Jackpot?

It is not present all the time, it comes and goes, but it is an unsettling sound, possibly of impending doom, like the transmission is going to explode!

This may only apply to the 6-speed trans.
And then again it may not be coming from the trans.

Iíve checked for loose nuts/bolts and even removed the aluminum belt shield/gauge because I thought the belt may have been hitting it or rattling against it, not to mention it looks like $hit.
I also have changed the pipes for better performance, before doing so I thought the noise might have been a bad baffle or loose pipe!

If anyone has an idea what it might be please get back to me. The mechanic at the dealership took it for a ride and didnít hear anything nor has he heard of that issue before.

I attribute this to being the biggest issue with owning a Victory, most mechanicís at Victory dealerships in my area work on several different bikes, mostly jap bikes, so their knowledge of a Victory is only general issues, no Victory experts in my area that I know of!!!

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Corbin seat with 2 removable backrests
Kewl Metal 45 degree rake kit
Lowering kit
Kewl Metal LED Bullet signal lights
Cycle Sounds 200 watt amp & speakers
Sony Walkman
09nessjackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Kingpin50
Premium Member

I had a noise on my 07 Kingpin that ended up being the drive belt rubbing on the inside of pulley cover and engine casting. I had lowered my bike and this reduced the clearance. I took a die grinder and removed some material. Also check your belt tension, if it's loose, it may contact the cover/case.
Kingpin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
visionjohnny

Did you check the bolt on the front drive sprocket to see if its tight. Did you check the sprocket to see that the spines are not striped.
I remember a past post where something to do with it the sprocket having something bad there stripped splines or loose nut something like that.

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
09nessjackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin50 View Post
I had a noise on my 07 Kingpin that ended up being the drive belt rubbing on the inside of pulley cover and engine casting. I had lowered my bike and this reduced the clearance. I took a die grinder and removed some material. Also check your belt tension, if it's loose, it may contact the cover/case.

Did it sound like what I was describing? I just got back from a ride after reading what you wrote, it seems like it could be coming from the pully cover. My bike has a lowering kit on it as well, plus a 45 degree rake kit which lowers it even more. I bought it that way.

How does it reduce the clearance? I'll take the cover off and see if I see any signs of rubbing but the belt itself looks fine. So you removed material from the inside of the cover? Do you by any chace have pics of it posted on this forum? Either way I will check the cover for signs of rubbing. Thanks for the info!!!!

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Lowering kit
Sony Walkman
Old 11-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
09nessjackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
Did you check the bolt on the front drive sprocket to see if its tight. Did you check the sprocket to see that the spines are not striped.
I remember a past post where something to do with it the sprocket having something bad there stripped splines or loose nut something like that.
I didn't check the bolt but I did check the pully/sprocket for play.
The post you are talking about was a recall or bulletin about the rear pully/sprocket (but I could be wrong). I didn't think it applied to my bike because it was a stock one and the one I have is a Ness. If it was for the front then maybe that's the problem!
I guess I should research that a little more. Thanks!!!!

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Lowering kit
Sony Walkman
Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Put some decent gas in it....
airbox, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
09nessjackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
Put some decent gas in it....
I wish it would be that easy half_crazy! lol
93 octane isn't good enough for a Victory?
Never anything less than that!

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Lowering kit
Sony Walkman
Old 11-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
09nessjackpot

Maybe I should check the bike again and see if the guy that sold it to me mounted a small tin can with marbles in it somewhere! LOL!!!

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Lowering kit
Sony Walkman
Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Blueline

Instead of making yourself nuts, take a ride to Westerly RI and see Kyle or at least put a call out to him. Your pretty much on the money with multi line dealership techs not knowing a whole lot about Victorys.
116 Big Bore
"The Millinium Falcon"
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09nessjackpot View Post
I wish it would be that easy half_crazy! lol
93 octane isn't good enough for a Victory?
Never anything less than that!
Sometimes high test sits a long time since not many people buy it... just because the pump says "93 octane" doesn't mean the gas is any freakin' good.

I ride a bike with 11.2:1 compression. There are several stations where I cannot buy gas or the bike will rattle like hell. I carry Amsoil octane booster for such ocassions...

Is it the fuel? Wanna find out? 5th gear @ 2200 rpm and roll the throttle open. If it rattles, it's the fuel. Either that or something is loose on the bike.
airbox, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement