"marbles in a tin can" noise - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
09nessjackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
Sometimes high test sits a long time since not many people buy it... just because the pump says "93 octane" doesn't mean the gas is any freakin' good.

I ride a bike with 11.2:1 compression. There are several stations where I cannot buy gas or the bike will rattle like hell. I carry Amsoil octane booster for such ocassions...

Is it the fuel? Wanna find out? 5th gear @ 2200 rpm and roll the throttle open. If it rattles, it's the fuel. Either that or something is loose on the bike.
I'll give it a try tomorrow, may not get the rpm's exact, no tach, but when coasting in 5th in the past and cracked it, she always picked up very well with impressive power. Are you saying it might be the engine pinging? Because it def doesn't sound like it's a ping, engine runs strong. But I will give the Amsoil octane booster a try anyways if I can find it. I can also buy racing fuel locally, forgot what the octane rating is but it was over 100, always thought it might be too much for the bike, but several have told me it would be fine to run

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Corbin seat with 2 removable backrests
Kewl Metal 45 degree rake kit
Lowering kit
Kewl Metal LED Bullet signal lights
Cycle Sounds 200 watt amp & speakers
Sony Walkman
09nessjackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09nessjackpot View Post
it def doesn't sound like it's a ping
Nope... it sounds like a couple of small pieces of gravel flying around in the primary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09nessjackpot View Post
I will give the Amsoil octane booster a try anyways if I can find it. I can also buy racing fuel locally, forgot what the octane rating is but it was over 100
Maybe just try a couple of different gas stations where the fuel is fresher. Maybe try the 91 or 89.

It still might be something on the bike vibrating at a certain frequency. Take something rubber and tap around... see if you can make anything resonate (pipe heat shields, etc).

5th gear ~55 mph?
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
gibson
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Nope... it sounds like a couple of small pieces of gravel flying around in the primary.

Maybe just try a couple of different gas stations where the fuel is fresher. Maybe try the 91 or 89.

It still might be something on the bike vibrating at a certain frequency. Take something rubber and tap around... see if you can make anything resonate (pipe heat shields, etc).

5th gear ~55 mph?
Sounds like shields to me too..
gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
09nessjackpot

Quote:

5th gear ~55 mph?
Gravel in the primary? That's a new one! Maybe fragments of gears, but gravel, really!

I'm thinking it's my belt hitting the cover, it's been doing it for about a year now so I doubt anything has been loose for that long and hasn't showed itself. The bike was lowered, not sure why that would create a clearance problem as stated previously but the sound is coming from the right side of the bike. I'll probably wait for riding season to end here in CT and take the pipes off to access the cover and see what's what. And tighten the belt a hair!

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Lowering kit
Sony Walkman
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Pop

Garage

Chassis Ears. Google it.
Buck and change on the interwebs.
Short money for good data when noises are driving you crazy.
If you go that route the wired set rocks. It's clunky to work with on a bike but the wireless version is junk.
Use tape and zip ties to keep everything tidy while riding. You can't have the wires flapping around. Vinyl electric tape isn't as much of a sticky mess as duct tape on your finishes.
Sometimes it doesn't sort out the exact culprit but it does eliminate most of the guesswork.
Pop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
09nessjackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
Chassis Ears. Google it.
Buck and change on the interwebs.
Short money for good data when noises are driving you crazy.
If you go that route the wired set rocks. It's clunky to work with on a bike but the wireless version is junk.
Use tape and zip ties to keep everything tidy while riding. You can't have the wires flapping around. Vinyl electric tape isn't as much of a sticky mess as duct tape on your finishes.
Sometimes it doesn't sort out the exact culprit but it does eliminate most of the guesswork.
I don't have a clue what you are talking about!
Mechanic's stethoscope is all that came up when I googled it.

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Lowering kit
Sony Walkman
Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Pop

Garage

http://www.steelmantools.com/06600.htm

Chassis Ears is a stethoscope like a C5A is a haywagon.

You use it in motion to isolate noise origin while underway.

If you can replicate the noise at a standstill then a stethoscope may work fine. Heck, a piece of hardwood dowel may work fine. If you need to be moving to make it happen then Chassis Ears is a
handy option.
Pop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
g9volt

I hope I am not repeating something some else said, but try grabbing the rear rotor and shaking it, these are floating discs and sometimes the rivots loosen up a bit and it rattles when hitting bumps or even when dragging the motor down low and puttin some of that Vic torque to work and chugging up to speed.
2007 GSXR-1000
2003 HD Low-Rider
g9volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
09nessjackpot

Thanks g9volt, I did shake the rear rotor and nothing until I torqued it towards the rear of the bike and heard a clunk, this is with the rear wheel on the ground, will get it on a lift and see how loose it really is then get the torque specs and tighten it up!

But that wasnít the noise I described, it was coming from the drive belt hitting the front cover, there is wear on the right top side of the belt, looks like it is hitting the cut out or boss where the top bolt on the cover is. When riding season is over Iíll take the front cover off to confirm it and probably install a open cover from Witch Doctor.
Thanks for the info mentioned in post #2 from Kingpin50. Thanks for the heads up info!

On another note: Whatís with the squeak sound when I let the clutch out, not first gear, but most of the other shifts. What is in need of grease??? Or is this normal and I'm still used to riding an HD?

2009 Cory Ness Jackpot
Dynojet PCV by Fuel Moto
S&S Performance Intake
RPW Slash pipes
Lowering kit
Sony Walkman
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Got any pics of it. Sounds like a nice lookin' bike.

Sorry. Don't have anything to offer for the noise. I'd need to see it in person for this one.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement