New speakers, Plasti-dip airwings and headlight bezel - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Jagular
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 433
Default New speakers, Plasti-dip airwings and headlight bezel

Well, it wasn't all bad news for me this week, even with the crappy OEM center stand fiasco.

I had a couple of days to do some mods, as well.

I upgraded my front speakers from 5.25 to 6.5. I went with the JL Audio C2 650x speakers. I used the the 6.5' speaker adapter for HD from Cycle Sounds, http://www.cyclesounds.com/index.php...roducts_id=215, as the adapter rings. With my Rockford Fosgate mini-amp, these 6.5" speakers are noticeably louder and clearer. What would've been a 10 or 11 speaker volume is now a 6 or a 7 and I don't have any distortion. The fairing fit was tight but it worked.

Also, I used Plasti-dip spray on my airwings and headlight bezel. This stuff is amazing (and the fumes are friggin' toxic!). But they came out great. I've already ordered (back-ordered) the factory black headlight bezel and was tired of waiting so I decided to do my current bezel in black with the Plasti-dip. The great thing is that I can easily remove the black coating and return the headlight to chrome when my black one arrives so I can swap if I decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0185.jpg (27.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0187.jpg (30.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0188.jpg (46.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0190.jpg (40.3 KB, 50 views)
__________________
Four-corners of the contiguous US, 8,000+ mile trip. Blog is here: richfeather.blogspot.com

'13 Cadillac ATS, 2.0L Turbo Premium, blue with black interior

'12 Vegas 8 Ball - Arlen Ness HD cafe fairing, MBW LED signals, side-mount plate, factory cruise, heated grips, Corbin heated seat, more...

'12 Nissan Leaf SL - red

'10 Cross Country Tour, black, way too much to list now. Some videos are available here: My Youtube Channel Feed

'01 Honda Magna, black, too much to list
Jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
RedRocker
Lifetime Premium
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Eastern, CT
Posts: 863
Garage
Post

Looks great!
__________________
Dave
USCG Retired

2014 Sonic Blue/Silver XCT
Lloydz VM1-DR Cams/ATS/Air Filter/.25 Turn/PCV/Vic BlkTip Tri-Ovals/Tuned by KMC Powersports: 111/112 CR's H/L HID Kit/Glenda LED's/Hyperlites/Stebel Air Horn/Vic Black Billet Floorboards/Primary&Cam Cover


2011 XC-Traded
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
kmoulds
Member
 
kmoulds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney - Australia
Posts: 80
Default

Hey they look great. I'd stick to the head light surround with the plasti Dip. Thanks for for pics. A picture speaks a thousand words.

Cheers Kym
__________________
Cheers Kym
Sydney - AUSTRALIA
2012 Cross Country Tour
kmoulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
9secondsflat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sticks of Connecticut
Posts: 231
Default

do you need to remove the fairing to mount the amp or can you go in from the front headlight, plug and play? thanks


also you say you went to a 6.5" speaker but the ones you have listed are 6 3/4" according to crutchfield...what am I missing???


http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XLUbqu3...o-C2-650X.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagular View Post
Well, it wasn't all bad news for me this week, even with the crappy OEM center stand fiasco.

I had a couple of days to do some mods, as well.

I upgraded my front speakers from 5.25 to 6.5. I went with the JL Audio C2 650x speakers. I used the the 6.5' speaker adapter for HD from Cycle Sounds, http://www.cyclesounds.com/index.php...roducts_id=215, as the adapter rings. With my Rockford Fosgate mini-amp, these 6.5" speakers are noticeably louder and clearer. What would've been a 10 or 11 speaker volume is now a 6 or a 7 and I don't have any distortion. The fairing fit was tight but it worked.

Also, I used Plasti-dip spray on my airwings and headlight bezel. This stuff is amazing (and the fumes are friggin' toxic!). But they came out great. I've already ordered (back-ordered) the factory black headlight bezel and was tired of waiting so I decided to do my current bezel in black with the Plasti-dip. The great thing is that I can easily remove the black coating and return the headlight to chrome when my black one arrives so I can swap if I decide.
__________________
Past bikes from day 1
Sears 50 cc pull start
1978 Yamaha GT80 Enduro
1976 Yamaha RD350
1977 Suzuki RM125
1997 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1997 Honda CBR1100 XX
2000 Turbo Hayabusa
2001 Suzuki GSXR1000
2009 Victory Hammer S
2008 Yamaha Wr250x
2009 Kawasaki 650R
2010 Suzuki DRZ400SM
2006 Big Dog Mastiff
2007 KTM 950 SM

Current bikes- 2010 Victory XC and ZX14, Triumph Carpenter Rocket 243 rwhp/193 ft/lbs tq at the tire.

Last edited by 9secondsflat; 11-05-2012 at 05:11 AM.
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Jagular
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondsflat View Post
do you need to remove the fairing to mount the amp or can you go in from the front headlight, plug and play? thanks
Nope, you'll have to take off the outer fairing and that is really easy: remove the windshield, the front headlight assembly, the speaker covers, then remove something like eight screws, pull from the bottom to loosen the fairing, then pull from the top to unseat it, pop the connectors off of the turn signal cables and your outer fairing is off!

Quote:
also you say you went to a 6.5" speaker but the ones you have listed are 6 3/4" according to crutchfield...what am I missing???


http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XLUbqu3...o-C2-650X.html
A quarter of an inch.

You're right. They're 6.75". Even better.
__________________
Four-corners of the contiguous US, 8,000+ mile trip. Blog is here: richfeather.blogspot.com

'13 Cadillac ATS, 2.0L Turbo Premium, blue with black interior

'12 Vegas 8 Ball - Arlen Ness HD cafe fairing, MBW LED signals, side-mount plate, factory cruise, heated grips, Corbin heated seat, more...

'12 Nissan Leaf SL - red

'10 Cross Country Tour, black, way too much to list now. Some videos are available here: My Youtube Channel Feed

'01 Honda Magna, black, too much to list
Jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
visionjohnny
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 5,391
Default

Jagular
Say what do you think of the air wings. Do they cut buffeting way down. Are the good in the hot weather.

Your painting looks good glade you made the effort to be different.
__________________
2008 vision
35 different model bikes over the years. Member of Twin City Victory Riders. Sent from computer where I search before i ask.
Mpls,Mn. no orange in my county

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Jagular
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
Jagular
Say what do you think of the air wings. Do they cut buffeting way down. Are the good in the hot weather.

Your painting looks good glade you made the effort to be different.
The air wings work great in conjunction with the factory lowers. There's a particularly bad area of wind and traffic chop on I-580 here. If I leave the air wings open, with my lower windshield, the one in the pictures, I can still get some buffeting through that area (otherwise, I get clean air, without turbulence). If I shut the air wings in that area, I get zero buffeting. It's, frankly, amazing at how well they work.
__________________
Four-corners of the contiguous US, 8,000+ mile trip. Blog is here: richfeather.blogspot.com

'13 Cadillac ATS, 2.0L Turbo Premium, blue with black interior

'12 Vegas 8 Ball - Arlen Ness HD cafe fairing, MBW LED signals, side-mount plate, factory cruise, heated grips, Corbin heated seat, more...

'12 Nissan Leaf SL - red

'10 Cross Country Tour, black, way too much to list now. Some videos are available here: My Youtube Channel Feed

'01 Honda Magna, black, too much to list
Jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum