Riding weather and clothing - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Lance
Premium Member

Default Riding weather and clothing

It's still riding weather in So. Calif., went out for a short spin today, a couple twists of the throttle on some straight aways got up close to 110mph, before a turn came up, ahhhhhh, motorcycles and speed.

It was a nice way to blow some of the 'politics thread' out of by head...

Hopefully some of you are still having some nice riding weather.

Another part of this thread, how many of you are nicely equipped for 'all weather' riding? I'm not.

Is there a consensus as to a GREAT riding suit for rain and cold?? One piece, two piece, etc.
1974 BMW R75/5
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Pckrfan

Tell you what I do......I have ridden in 29 degree F weather but that was on my XR. It had a heated seat. I had heated grips and both were on. Had winter gloves, no holes and a little bulkier that normal summer duty gloves. Full face helmet with or without the balaclava..... Neck wind blocker, heated jacket liner under my leather jacket. Draggin jeans and lined chaps. I had forged bars so I also used the OEM soft lowers to keep my feet warm.

Wet weather, depending on the temp, rain gear over my leathers and soft lowers kept me pretty dry. Wear latex gloves under my leather gloves so the hands stay dry... There ya have it.....
XC/XR heated tour seat & bag bars
Ness derby covers & Rad III mirrors
Avon heated grips, air horn and lotsa blacked out stuff. (Green Goblin artwork by Bad Boy Designs in Peoria AZ)

Artificial intelligence is absolutely 100% NO match for natural stupidity!
Pckrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
marconewt

I have a set of Frogs Togs. I keep them in my saddle bag. they are waterproof and they breathe. Not bad for $60.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
TNXR

I wear a pair of insulated coveralls, winter riding gloves, layers of shirts and a scarf under my chin of my full face. Great thing about my XR compared to my other bike is I actually have a place to put all this clothing when/if it warms up during the day!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconewt View Post
I have a set of Frogs Togs. I keep them in my saddle bag. they are waterproof and they breathe. Not bad for $60.
Im year round Virginia seaboard so wet and sorta cold...

Gortex pants or chaps for with leather jacket/gloves for cold down into the teens, add gortex jacket for rain. Installed hard lowers but if I had to do again, I would go soft lowers for certain. I also use face mask below 45 just to keep the chill out.. I will buy a full face one of these days.. lol...

I ride with 2 riders that both have FrogTogs, put them on my christmas list this year because as stated, they breath! Gortex does not but I already have it for work so cuts down on what I have to carry.

For what its worth, I used a one peace dry suit for about a year... wont ever again.. Just my 2 cents...

Safe ridin
Tim
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
BanditSRT8

For rain gear, I was so confused. A LOT of choices, and a wide price range. At first, I thought all rain gear was fairly equal, but I was wrong.

I needed something that would comfortably go over my clothes, not be constricting, allow me to be able to put the pants on WHILE still wearing my boots, and not flap around like mad in the wind as I ride. I had a hard time finding any gear that actually did all that, and didn't cost $250.

Until I read a great review about the Joe Rocket rain gear. I took the chance and bought the RS2 Rain Suit and am very pleased with it.

I didn't want a flappy mess, and look/feel like a tool going down the road, and I didn't want anything that interfered with operating the bike. I found that the RS2 suit fit the bill for me.

Here's the review: http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...c,73610.0.html
Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8 View Post
I didn't want a flappy mess, and look/feel like a tool going down the road, and I didn't want anything that interfered with operating the bike. I found that the RS2 suit fit the bill for me.

Here's the review: http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...c,73610.0.html
Bandit,
I know the OP is on a CR which may have a little more wind like my TC does but curious. Have you used this gear on your new Glide Ride with the fixed fairing and if so are you getting enough ventilation on the in between weather where its not cold but not dry either? Im curious to the ventilation while behind a fixed fairing..(as I said, two guys I ride with got togs but I think I like the RS2 better looking at it and its similar priced).
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
BanditSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_04V92TC View Post
Bandit,
I know the OP is on a CR which may have a little more wind like my TC does but curious. Have you used this gear on your new Glide Ride with the fixed fairing and if so are you getting enough ventilation on the in between weather where its not cold but not dry either? Im curious to the ventilation while behind a fixed fairing..(as I said, two guys I ride with got togs but I think I like the RS2 better looking at it and its similar priced).
I've only had the need to wear it once, and it was a very short ride, but the suit "breathes" in a strange way. You don't overheat in it, which is what you'd expect in a big piece of plastic (more or less).

The way my bike is set up, if I keep my legs/knees in a normal position, I am tucked in a pocket of stillness which is great... and if I spread my knees outward a couple of inches, they catch the wind from the outer edges of my fairing, travel up my thighs and throws the wind into my chest, so it's like adjustable air conditioning. So I can make it cooler or warmer overall just by making a slight adjustment.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Well I think you sold ME on the RS2, not sure about Lance.. lol.. I was just horsing around with what your talking about on the Vision tonight on the way to work... I think it will get better with the HWY pegs installed as well. So, if I get the TOGS then I wouldn't be differnt with what my GoldWing buddies ride in.. .lol... I have to get the RS2's because no one I ride with has them and I ride a Vision.. Of course...hehe Thanks for the feedback Bandit and glad to see you keepin up on the forums... ya traitor... lol.. Im kiddin of course...

Be safe bud

Tim

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Is there a consensus as to a GREAT riding suit for rain and cold?? One piece, two piece, etc.
There are many. For decent cold/wet weather gear I've found that Tourmaster and Firstgear both make decent products. A lot of hardcore types with lots of money like Aerostich stuff. I've read they leak and require spraying some chemical on them. No thanks. Better made stuff in Europe, but unless you've got a trip there you aren't likely to get your hands on it.

For near freezing temperature cold, go electric. I rode too many years without it. Now that its readily available and reasonably cheap, it's insane to ride in the cold without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement