Did folks here consider the HD Street Bob?? - Page 3 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #21
ftwflh

Send a message via Yahoo to ftwflh

First off I NEVER buy new when it comes to bikes or trucks.Let the first fool loose his butt and get me a good deal.That said I have test drove a Street Bob and the dealer pissed me off first thing.I rode in on my 1972 FLH and he had the nerve to ask if I was trading that Shovelhead in.Replied "I wouldnt trade that old bike for 2 brand new ones" " I am just looking to go a little newer "
Well the test ride wasnt bad 96in had decent power but hated the bars and controls.Hated the MFSP more.
Ended up with a 2004 V92TC for a third of what the HD was.Got a better all around bike with no payments.Still ride my FLH but when it comes time to travel the TC is hard to beat.
1996 GMC truck
2005 Trailblazer
ftwflh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
TNXR

My XR is the first new vehicle I have ever bought in my life but I knew that for my next bike I was going new and keeping it for many years. I do think the HD's are over priced but IMO Victory is not much better. I would have never given the $17k+ price that my XR MSRP + extras would have originally cost, the bike is not worth that much.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #23
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
No likey V-4s? I love 'em. From what I understand, they are complex and expensive to manufacture, hence their rarity.

I've ridden a V-Max and thought it was pretty comfy and handled reasonably well. It had atrocious on/off throttle response that would be deal killer enough for me. The fact that I could put more fuel in my pockets than it's capable of storing makes them completely useless IMO.

My favorite V-4 is the one in the old VFR 750s. Excellent sound, buttery feel, like a fine tuned triple that engine.

If he's wasting his time parading up and down Main St in some avian like display of plumage trying to entice the females, I'd question his kewlness. After all, kewl guys today pick up chicks by demonstrating their command of text message abbreviations and knowledge of cell phone apps.

Torque can be achieved through gearing. A lot of sport bikes are geared tall in first gear so they can take off during a race and keep the front wheel near the ground and in the high gear for top speed. Even my Duc STs had silly gearing like that (surely a parts bin thing). A couple of sprockets later, she's as "torquey" as you like.

And there are plenty of aftermarket gadgets to make sport bikes more comfy. My riding partner has a little Ninja 650 that he absolutely loves. He's closing on 60 and rides his Wing more now for the comfort, but last we talked, he was thinking of putting some peg lowering brackets and a new seat on the 650 to make his featherweight more geriatric friendly on our day long scoots.

Until some clever aftermarket guy makes some go fast parts for it anyway.

Starting to feel that Guzzi now aren't ya?

Better than living on the street I suppose.
Gotta admit, SB, sometimes your knowledge of bikes is impressive.

I bet we could have a nice long conversation over a couple of beers on the subject if we didn't live so far apart.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #24
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
No likey V-4s?
I didn't say that. Like the man was telling us, cool is about paint, chrome, and that badassed sound that 64 HP makes through drag pipes. The V-Max sounds like a Singer sewing machine on steroids so it will never be considered cool by the masses.

Quote:
Torque can be achieved through gearing.
Big torque comes from big displacement, hence the old saying "There's no replacement for displacement". Like the difference between a quarter horse and a draft horse, or a 350 Chevy vs a 454. The 350 can make the same HP, but it will never have the balls the 454 has.

Quote:
Until some clever aftermarket guy makes some go fast parts for it (that Guzzi) anyway.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #25
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post

Eyeyiyi, what are you waiting for?!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #26
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
I bet we could have a nice long conversation over a couple of beers on the subject if we didn't live so far apart.
There's always cyberbeer.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #27
GatorJoe
Lifetime Premium

Garage

HD doesn't have anything made lately I have any interest in .. Went through enough cash trying to my 09 Ultra at a decent rate of Power that should have been delivered OTD stock like Victory does .. However do have a classic EVO back when Harley built them right .. That ain't for sale and never will be ..

Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
jaysonL

FXR.... Possibly the best bike the MoCo ever made.
Kingpin tour tins
jaysonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
BanditSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
I didn't say that. Like the man was telling us, cool is about paint, chrome, and that badassed sound that 64 HP makes through drag pipes. The V-Max sounds like a Singer sewing machine on steroids so it will never be considered cool by the masses.

All bikes sound anemic stock. My Hammer S was super quiet, and I likened it to a sewing machine back when I first got it.

Here's what a Vmax really sounds like, just a set of cans:

And with a simple X-pipe, stock cans:

Pure and simple, one of the most powerful bikes out of the box. Aggressive musclecar looks that some find polarizing. Comfortable position and ride, and better than average handling for a "cruiser". It's one thing to judge one without riding one but, anyone who rides one and is not impressed might be a little crazy.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8 View Post
All bikes sound anemic stock.
I liked the sound of the stock bike in motion just fine. I didn't think the cans improved the sound, just made it more annoying. It doesn't have a real enticing idling sound, but so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8 View Post
Pure and simple, one of the most powerful bikes out of the box. Aggressive musclecar looks that some find polarizing. Comfortable position and ride, and better than average handling for a "cruiser". It's one thing to judge one without riding one but, anyone who rides one and is not impressed might be a little crazy.
It's got impressive comfort, power, and handling, but unless you want to challenge teenagers to races between stoplights, it's a fairly useless machine. And I don't need a $20k doorstop.

I'd love to see them harness that motor in a more useful steed, like say the FJR. I keep hearing they are going to put the inline cross plane engine in the FJR, but it seems the Japs are about finished with innovation these days, leaving it up to the Europeans. They are taking the Harley route of same bike new paint. Saves a lot of money on R&D, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement