Fuel / gas gauge inaccuracy - Page 5 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #41
Milesx

Talking You spelled winners wrong..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvator97 View Post
How many of you whiners have RUN OUT of GAS? My guess is NONE....can't be THAT bad ,can it? (Fuel management is really quite simple!)
Keep looking real hard...you might find some other insignificant thing to complain about.
Not a lot to complain about on these Victories.. It would be nice if they had taken a little more time with the gauge and gotten it right but like most others, I was already used to the trip meter.. WINNER...
Milesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #42
drummer12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvator97 View Post
How many of you whiners have RUN OUT of GAS? My guess is NONE....can't be THAT bad ,can it? (Fuel management is really quite simple!)
Keep looking real hard...you might find some other insignificant thing to complain about.
Completely uncalled for. I asked a legitimate question and you come back with a smarta** response. Do me a favor and don't respond to my posts unless you have something constructive to add to the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
I am puzzeled!! how some guys are worried about the gas mileage they are getting!if you wanted great gas mileage buy a scooter!! how does someone buy a $20,000 bike and then worry how much gas it eats thats some funny shit!!!! I am not rich by any means but thats the last thing on my mind.my truck gets 18 miles per gallon now thats shitty not the 40 something our bikes are getting!! i had to throw my 2 cents in i just couldnt believe what i was reading. try a vulcan next time i heard they get like 58 mpg!!!!
Please read the first post when I started this thread. I am not commenting on the gas mileage, I am asking about anyone else experiencing fuel gauge issues.

As you put it I bought a $20,000 motorcycle; should I not expect the fuel gauge to be accurate?
drummer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #43
Hatchet

"Please read the first post when I started this thread. I am not commenting on the gas mileage, I am asking about anyone else experiencing fuel gauge issues.

As you put it I bought a $20,000 motorcycle; should I not expect the fuel gauge to be accurate?"

I love my new XC but like you was curious about the gas gauge also. It goes off when I still have alot left. Like others stated, the low gas warning light is enough warning and I rather have the range read the approx. miles instead. I'm getting great MPG and thats not the problem.

Traded in a 2009 Harley Electraglide Classic
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #44
Nodnarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblue View Post
Nodnard I believe I read in either the operators manual or the service manual you are suppose to clean the fuel pump pickup screen around 30,000 miles. I bet your pickup screen is getting dirty. Might be cheaper to take it apart now and possibly clean it, if that is the problem. If your pump is starving fuel I would imagine this could be hard on the pump and help cause the fuel pump to go out. My old bike I had to clean the fuel filter at about 5k miles,the inside of the tank coating was coming off a little at a time. I noticed the XRs tank has a coating inside of it, your bike may also.
Thanks, I'll check into this
Suede B&W
RPW Big Slash
Lloyds AirBox
Lloyds VFC3
95 HP
109 TQ
Nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #45
visionjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
"Please read the first post when I started this thread. I am not commenting on the gas mileage, I am asking about anyone else experiencing fuel gauge issues.

As you put it I bought a $20,000 motorcycle; should I not expect the fuel gauge to be accurate?"

I love my new XC but like you was curious about the gas gauge also. It goes off when I still have alot left. Like others stated, the low gas warning light is enough warning and I rather have the range read the approx. miles instead. I'm getting great MPG and thats not the problem.
They say there is a bad resistor in the sending unit and Vic is aware of it go to your dealer

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #46
drummer12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
They say there is a bad resistor in the sending unit and Vic is aware of it go to your dealer
Thanks for that information. I have sent it to my dealership.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #47
ChuglyXJ

So, not to dig this up but is there a common or known resistor issue? I've noticed a quick drop on the gauge too but I just watch the trip meter.

This weekend I had the light come on and off a few times, almost like the slow flash my Kawasaki would show, when off I had better then 55 miles until empty displayed.

I found this thread while doing a search for "range", I don't find it as an issue because if I have 50-60 miles left when the light comes on, easy to track no issue. But if there is a resistor issue it may be worth bugging the dealer and making another trip out there. It isn't an easy task as I work while they are open and when I'm off the tech's are typically off. Turning my "check out the bike" into 4 trips and needing 2 vehicles so I can drop the bike and come get it again later, what an expensive pain.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #48
dtmmil
Premium Member

My only complaint on the fuel gauge is when the low fuel light comes on the estimated miles left no longer is displayed.
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, thrush glasspack mod conversion(#24201),Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(8*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #49
drummer12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmmil View Post
My only complaint on the fuel gauge is when the low fuel light comes on the estimated miles left no longer is displayed.
That and as soon as I get to 1/4 the fuel gauge immediately drops (as in I am watching the needle move while sitting still) to bone dry empty. I have filled up multiple times within a few miles of the light coming on and I am adding between 3.8 - 4 gallons of fuel.

I did mention this a few times to the dealership but no resolution.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #50
Pckrfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer12345 View Post
I have put 450 miles on my new 2012 CCT and I've noticed that the fuel / gas gauge is very inaccurate. I've actually watched the needle move while sitting at a stop light.

The first time the fuel light came on and the gauge showed bone dry I was only able to pump 3.8 gallons into the tank. The second time I was able to get 4 gallons. This bike has a 5.8 gallon fuel tank!

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I didn't see any other posts mentioning this.

Thanks,

Kyle
I haven't seen that yet... 440 miles on the green machine. The low fuel light and display illuminated with 1.5 gallons left.......that is consistent with what my experience was with my XR....
XC/XR heated tour seat & bag bars
Ness derby covers & Rad III mirrors
Avon heated grips, air horn and lotsa blacked out stuff. (Green Goblin artwork by Bad Boy Designs in Peoria AZ)

Artificial intelligence is absolutely 100% NO match for natural stupidity!
Pckrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement