shock air pressure check - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Buster

I have a 2008 Vision Tour Premium, the shock went bad the first year I hade the bike. I was doing a Lake Superior Circle Tour with the wife.
when another bike passed me and pointed to the trailer I was towing. The chains were draging, no air pump at that time, so shortened the chains. When we returned I pumped up the shock and with in 2 days it was low again. The dealer replaced the shock and have not had any other problems with the shock. I normaly carry about 50 lbs all of the time because the wife is almost always with me and it is just easy to leave the pressure at 50 lb. I check the air preasure about 4 times a year, which when I put the trailer on the back and put about 5/6 pumps with the Victory gage into the shock. Mine holds up realy well. Not so for the fork seals, in the second time now for new seals.

Buster
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
RonBou

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbiker View Post
Hey, what brand air pump do you guys use? I just got my 2012 XC and, of course, Victory doesn't supply the air pump. Recommendations? Or are they all about the same?
Find one on EBAY which you will find is half the price of the Vic one. Just make sure you get one that screws on and off. Those don't lose air pressure when you disconnect them.

Just checked the air pressure in my shock on my XCT and it is the same as when I last aired it up in June.

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour (Stage 1)
2011 Victory Cross Country (traded in on XCT)
2009 Triumph Rocket III Touring (traded in on XC)
1998 Valkyrie Tourer (Hydralocked - sold as is)
1966 Honda 305 Dream (for sale)
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler (project)
1982 Honda CB900 Custom (need to put back together)
RonBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Gunslinger
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Hey, what brand air pump do you guys use? I just got my 2012 XC and, of course, Victory doesn't supply the air pump. Recommendations? Or are they all about the same?
The Victory shock pump is actually this Fox unit, but on Amazon, it's half the price that Victory sells it for.

Amazon Amazon

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
webbiker

Gunslinger, I was just clicking the "Buy" button on Amazon for the Fox pump when your response came in. Great timing!
webbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Milesx

Smile Pump

Quote:
I bought a foxx racing stock pump ( I think or something like that) from Amazon.com. It's actually a bicycle shock pump but it identical to the victory pump in every way cept for the logo. I got it really cheap. I forget what I paid for it now but Amazon had a deal sign up for a credit card and get $10.00 off so with shipping the pump was less than $20.00...
Milesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
mikiep

I ordered my pump off ebay. I think it's the same one HD sells but, I paid I think $20 - $30.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #17
XRStPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
The Victory shock pump is actually this Fox unit, but on Amazon, it's half the price that Victory sells it for.

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Sho.../dp/B001F212OK
Thanks Gunslinger, good call! Any recommendation on pressure for about 350 total lbs (about #220 for me and #130 for my rear seater)? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Term

I read this on another forum and I wondered if any one had heard anything like this. It's not a Victory forum but a general motorcycle forum about adventure riding, so you may can guess which one. This was in a thread about Victories.

Quote:
Interesting development. Brother of a close friend had a new XCT lose the air suspension and dropped the rear fender on the rear tire at about 80mph. Don't know how he kept it up (!?) but went straight to the Harley dealer and traded it as soon as it was fixed under warranty.

He does 25 to 30k miles per year and absolutely loved the Cross Country, but this incident was apparently a deal breaker.
Now I am always dubious of I heard from someone who knew someone, but I wondered. I searched the forum and found this thread. Losing a little pressure over time seems normal, but losing it all at once could be a problem.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
XKnight

I keep my shock air pressure at zero based on my weight and the owners manual recommendations. It definitely drops the bike a little which is how I like it. If I ever ride 2 up I'll have to buy a pump to add some pressure though.
XKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
dtmmil
Premium Member

Generally you will gain/lose 1 lb of air pressure per 10 degrees of air temp. So if you check your tires and its 80 in your garage you will lose 4 lbs if its 40 outside. I parked my bike in january with the tires at 40 and the shock at 7. I got it out the other day to get it ready for riding, tires were at 39.5 and the shock was at 6.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, thrush glasspack mod conversion(#24201),Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(8*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement