Riding weather and clothing - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
TNXR

I've got a tourmaster rain suit and it works really well, kinda hard to get over my riding boots though. And although the suit is made in China (like everything else), I did have the button pull out of the stirrup and emailed the company. They promptly sent me 4 extra stirrups which I thought was cool of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
SteveYacht

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveYacht

I have a Tourmaster Air Intake 2 which is a great jacket for all weather. No liner, great for hot weather. Water/Windproof liner makes it great to about 50. Add the thermal liner and good to upper 30's to low 40's. Add a pair of leather chaps, Tourmaster gortex winter gauntlets, HJC Balaclava, Rockport XCS Goretex Boots (wish they never discontinued these) and I am good to go.

Like others, I carry rain suit and over boots. However it is an ancient Dry Rider. I know that there are much better rain gear available now, but am a tad confused on what is the best bang for the buck. Don't give a crap about style or looks, just want the best protection for the dollars spent.

Suggestions?
U.S. Army Veteran
1968 Honda CB350
1973 Norton 750 Commando
1978 Suzuki 1000
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
1985 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country
SteveYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Roadrocket

Here in The Heart of Dixie we get a lot of 40 to 55-60 riding days in the winter. I've found a pair of flannel-lined jeans are just about perfect. On the cooler days I'll add a pair of light wt. windpants over them. Leather jacket and some fleece jacket as well if the temps are cooler.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Lem
Lifetime Premium

I rode down into the single digits on my V-star 950 (Windshield and lowers only, no other wind protection). I wore my Shift leather jacket with the winter liner, Full face modular helmet, summer vented gloves (big mistake haha), and my camo pants (was in the Navy, so the blue and grey sort), and uniform boots. Only part of me that was uncomfortable was my hands, and if it was wet and I got splashed on much then my legs would get cold.

I used to carry a one piece motorcycle rain suit I bought on Amazon a couple years ago, but honestly I rode more in the rain without it just because it was annoying to put on, although it did work well when I had it on. I once (accidently) rode through about 8 inches of water, was over my boots but that little bike didnt miss a beat. was soaked to my underwear that day but my whole upper body and head was dry thanks to the full face and my leather jacket.

I love riding in all weather, when people look at me crazy for pulling up on my bike in a downpour or a light snow and ask why its not in the garage I just tell them my vehicles are vehicles, and not garage queens. Hell I once took my vette out 5 hours into a blizzard, found out the hard way that 12 inch wide tires on a rear wheel drive do not cut through the snow very well haha. Had to have help getting going again when I made the mistake of stopping at a stop sign.

2009 Pearl Red V-Star 950
Sold

Last edited by Lem; 11-05-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
rainman123

My rain suit from Wally world insulated chaps rebel leather jacket electric gloves which so far ain't used much since I put heated grips on only on low so far and just bought a snow bib a couple weeks ago and is very warm at 29 degrees so far and wear a full face when it's cold or raining also have soft lowers which makes a big difference on the feet
98 t-bird traded for rocket
73 sportster sold
72 honda 350 long gone
rainman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
TonyChip78

Garage

For those that have them, any thoughts on sizing the Frog Toggs for fit over pants? Should I just go up a size or are they already size appropriately. In the mean time I'll look for a local vendor.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
RMH

I haven't tried a lot of different options, but a few years ago decided to get a Tourmaster Air Intake, 3 layer, original series I believe. Wear it in almost all weather, except 95+ days. The thinsulate liner is just increadible for passive warmth. With just the outer vented layer it is very comfortable in the 80s and low 90s.

For the complete warmth package, I'll wear either a short or long sleeve T-shirt, then a long sleeve slightly loose fitting shirt somewhere between a T-shirt and swearshirt (not sure what it is made of), then the 3 layers of the Tourmaster jacket. On the legs I will wear long underwear, then jeans, then leather chaps. For rain, I put on a pair of Tourmaster rain pants and sometimes boot covers. Add a good pair of gloves with heated grips and a neck scarf (the one piece tube that slips over the head), and an open face helmet with a visor.

My wife and I ride lots of long weekend trips 2 up and at least one week long trip a year. Until recently she wore a Joe Rocket jacket with just a wind/rain liner. Under that she wore 2 to 3 shirt layers. A couple months ago she bought a Tourmaster Air Intake 2 jacket. The last two 3 day weekend trips we did just happened to coincide with cold fronts coming through the area we were riding. She kept saying she had no idea how warm I was on our earlier trips wearing my Tourmaster jacket and she just thought it was normal to be as cold as she was before. Thought it was just part of being the tough motorcycle wife that she was. Almost to the point of wanting to beat me over the head for letting her be so cold while I was nice and warm in my Tourmaster. I just thought she was sufficiently layered with shirts that she was as or nearly as warm as I was.

So now we are both sold on Tourmaster Air Intake jackets and though we both found ours at discounted sale prices, would readily buy them again at full price if needed.

Cheers,
Randy

2007 Honda VTX 1300 (Traded up)
2007 Honda VT750 Shadow (Traded up)
25 years without a bike :(
Honda CB 125, 360, & 550 in my youth, late '70s - early '80s
RMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
jfusaro

I love my Aerostich suit.

http://www.aerostich.com/

I have a two-piece Road Crafter set that I have owned longer than I care to admit. A little pricey up front, but well worth the money. I threw away my leather jackets and rain suits when I bought the Aerostich, and never looked back.

Good comfort. Good ventilation. Good rain protection. I have ridden in some torrential downpours and stayed dry.

I use the jacket by itself, most of the time. When it gets cold or wet, the pants zip onto the jacket to make a one-piece set. Nice.

I just bought two Nike Pro-Combat Dri-Fit shirts. They fit well under the Aerostich and make a noticeable difference on the cold morning rides to work.

A also have an old pair of Danner combat boots with a Gore-tex liner. They are good for cold and wet, too. Got them from Cabella's.

It was in the 30's this morning, when I left the house. I need to break out the insulated gloves, now. My fingers were pretty cold when I got to work. I will ride up until the snow falls, and the salt trucks come out of hibernation. Then, I'm done.
Forged Highway Bars
Lock & Ride Passenger Backrest
-------------------------
Previous Rides:
1993 Honda Gold Wing Interstate
1992 Yamaha TDM 850
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400 (Road Racer)
1991 Yamaha FJ1200
1982 Yamaha SECA 750
1972 Yamaha LT3 Enduro 100
-------------------------
My Other Money Pits:
Photography
Woodturning
Model Railroading
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Emack76

All this proofs me to 25degF on my XCT. I'll try colder weather this week it looks like. Takes 3 min to dress down to jacket only in the parking lot at work, and the XCT has plenty of room to store it all + my laptop, coffee thermos, 2 extra pairs of gloves, extra sweatshirt, etc...
--Don't forget I have heated grips on the XCT which help a lot with the hands - though the heated seat isn't a deal breaker for me w/ the insulated pants.

+Tourmaster Rincon Jacket (removable insulation) $129 @ MotorcycleSuperstore
+Fieldsheer Mercury Pants (removable ins) $99 @ MotorcycleCloseouts
+Columbia Omni-heat snowmobile gloves $90 @ Dicks
+NorthFace neck gaiter $39 @ local outdoor shop
+cheapo thin baclava for under the helmet on those coldest days $6
+3/4 face helmet with face sheild (neck gaiter dams the bottom)
+Gortex, full-tongue 10" boots w/ 1200g thinsulate (cold/wet days)

I swap out my gloves for days in the 30's...and drop the baclava and winter boots as well:
+Firstgear riding gloves (100g thinsulate) $39 @ local dealership

I drop the pants and neck gaiter when temps get near the 50's.

NOTE: All this extra stuff changes the way I ride just a bit. Especiallyu sensitivity to all my levers...so I'm sure to practive slow manuevers when I start to don that gear.

Central Missouri
Emack76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement