Dyna beads vs ride on - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
robvision
Premium Member
 
robvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 393
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
How big was the nail? Was the correct dosage for the tire size used?
It was a 3 " common nail
There was more ride-on in the tire than there should have been.

There was a stream of ride-on sprying everywhere - what a mess

It didnt plug the hole at all - it was like one of those high powered water guns shooting what looked like dirty milk...
__________________
[SIGPIC]
Rob
2013 XCT 2013 Suzuki KQ750 AXI Power Steerring
Victory Sport Touring Flag Ship
Lloydz Idle Air Valve
Lloydz PTW
25000 km
Rear Rack
Passenger Grab Handles
Modified Heel Shifter
HID Hi and Low
Oil Temp Gauge
Ride-On TPS
Modified Stock Pipes
K&N air filter
G-man Bully FI Controller
Heat Troller
LED Driving lights
robvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Donzo
Senior Member
 
Donzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 260
Default

I use it for the balancing effect on tires. The potential sealing of a small puncture is gravy. Bet ride on will seal a puncture better than dyna beads.....
__________________
Enjoy the miles....we only get so many!
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Gunslinger
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: JOCO KS
Posts: 614
Default

I have it in my tires and plan to do a puncture test soon at my upcoming tire change. I'll do the drill test along with riding over a board with a nail or two protruding. My guess, it will spray the shit all over the place. But, it does a great job balancing the wheels!

I have had nails and staples in previous tires, and as long as they are in the tire, it never lost pressure (before I started using ride on).

Based on the results of my puncture test, I may go to airsoft pellets. I believe the larger diameter pellets (and lower cost) will do a better job of balancing and distributing themselves than the dynabeads. Actually, dyna beads come in a variety of sizes.... the larger ones go in during tire mounting, while I believe the smaller (and IMO, less effective) beads were a concession for those who wanted to add to an already mounted tire.
__________________
2011 Silver/black Vision, Ness Big Honkers, Ness Twin Sucker, PC-V w/AT, Lloydz VM1-DR cams, Lloydz Adj Intake, Lloydz Variable Timing Wheel.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
CrossRoads
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
I have it in my tires and plan to do a puncture test soon at my upcoming tire change. I'll do the drill test along with riding over a board with a nail or two protruding. My guess, it will spray the shit all over the place. But, it does a great job balancing the wheels!
That's a wonderful idea. I should have done that at my last tire change, but now that you mentioned this, I will run over a few nails to test it right before I change the tires again.
__________________
Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HID upgrade kits: VictoryHID.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
OkieHoss
Lifetime Premium
 
OkieHoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 579
Default

HMMMMMmmmm awaiting puncture test results before i decide..I like that I can reuse the dynabeads in my next tire..I dont like the fact that if a pucture happens I could have a hell of a mess on my hands not counting the fact it wont seal the hole...
__________________
2013 black XCT. Loyds ats,air filter, custom flowmaster exhaust. 3rd brake light strobe. Low and Hi HID.
OkieHoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
CrossRoads
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHoss View Post
HMMMMMmmmm awaiting puncture test results before i decide..I like that I can reuse the dynabeads in my next tire..I dont like the fact that if a pucture happens I could have a hell of a mess on my hands not counting the fact it wont seal the hole...
Until someone proves it different, I think it's safe to believe the Ride-On video demonstration. If you have not seen it yet, here it is:
__________________
Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HID upgrade kits: VictoryHID.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
visionjohnny
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 4,582
Default

I have ride-on in my tires and yes I lost air from the tire all summer long. Air does seal out the side Walls and thats normal. Tires are a porous rubber.
Ride-on says the product clings to the center of the tire not the side walls.
Ride-on only seals certain size puncture so yes a big nail like a 8 penny it might not seal where it will seal a 6 penny.
Dyna beads only balance where ride-on seals and we all hope seals when were in the back roads doing what we love,
__________________
2008 vision
35 different model bikes over the years. Member of Twin City Victory Riders. Sent from computer where I search before i ask.
Mpls,Mn.
Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
lstayner
Senior Member
 
lstayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prairie City, IA
Posts: 194
Default Centramatics

I had a set of Centramatic wheel balancers on my Goldwing. I have been bugging these guys since I got my wife's 1st CR to make them for a Victory. A few weeks back I got to ride a Vision with them on. I ordered 2 sets on the spot. Until they come in, I went ahead and put Dyna beads in both bikes until we change out tires. The dyna beads did not do as much for me as the Centramatics do.

They run about $300 for a set but they never wear out and can be moved from bike to bike. They seem a bit costly at 1st but on the GW I increased tire life on the rear by 20 -25% and on the front by 25 - 30%. Taking that into consideration and the replacement cost of either dyna beads or Ride on I break even fairly fast.

I also carry tire plugs and a compressor at all times. So far I haven't had to use it.

Here is the website and I see that they haven't updated it yet to include Victory bikes but they are available.

http://centramatic.com
__________________
ATGATT because walking away in disgust is better than riding away in an ambulance.

Larry

2011 Pearl White Vision 50,291 smiles in 2 years
lstayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
Pop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NH zipcode but CO for a few more years
Posts: 859
Garage
Default

The vid for Ride On and similar vids for other products show standing or close to standing punctures. Sources of punctures in the vids are of similar diameter and are removed after puncture and the punctures themselves are similar and in a specific area of the tire.
What you can believe in from the vids is that if you have a puncture of a certain size, type and location, the source of which does not remain in the tire, and it happens at a standstill or very low speed then there is good cause to believe that the puncture will seal. Any other assumption about these products abilities to repair tire puncture is not validated by the demonstrations.

Another thing is that assuming it does work, you are left with a tire that may have lost a pound or two but otherwise you might have no idea that it has a hole in it. That isn't a comfortable position to be in.

Regardless, I been thinking I'll try this stuff out because I have had slow speed tire punctures where the nail came out and I was left on the side of the road wishing for a plug and a compressor. Just because it's not an absolute solution doesn't mean it's useless.

As far as balancing goes...
1. Is it even necessary on a motorcycle wheel? Maybe so, maybe not, maybe only if out of balance conditions present themselves while under way. You are a whole lot more likely to hear a guy say "I was washing the bike and I see where my wheel weights come unglued" than you are to hear him say" I had to get the bike towed home cuz my weights flew off and it rode like a rodeo bull".
2. Do liquid additives work ? Do beads work? Plenty of us insist they do. Odd that the proofs are testimonials and You Tube vids but you can't find ironclad data that shuts up us doubters. Just doesn't seem right that after the amount of time that these things have been on the market, someone can't produce stats that demonstrate that they work as well as or better than weights or nothing for that matter, and that the use of them empirically increases tire life or wear characteristics or something.
Now don't go hating because you invested in Dynabeads or whatever and spent part of a Sunday trying to get more stuff in your tire than on it. If it gives you peace of mind for a few bucks and you believe that it improves anything then it's money well spent. Screw what anybody else thinks.
I just can't reconcile a world full of tire balancing equipment with the lack of alternate pour in options when you go for tires. Hell, you would think that the shop would put up signs saying balance with weights- free, balance with pour in product of your choice -20 bucks and then push the 20 dollar option. Just saying...
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
lstayner
Senior Member
 
lstayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prairie City, IA
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
The vid for Ride On and similar vids for other products show standing or close to standing punctures. Sources of punctures in the vids are of similar diameter and are removed after puncture and the punctures themselves are similar and in a specific area of the tire.
What you can believe in from the vids is that if you have a puncture of a certain size, type and location, the source of which does not remain in the tire, and it happens at a standstill or very low speed then there is good cause to believe that the puncture will seal. Any other assumption about these products abilities to repair tire puncture is not validated by the demonstrations.

Another thing is that assuming it does work, you are left with a tire that may have lost a pound or two but otherwise you might have no idea that it has a hole in it. That isn't a comfortable position to be in.

Regardless, I been thinking I'll try this stuff out because I have had slow speed tire punctures where the nail came out and I was left on the side of the road wishing for a plug and a compressor. Just because it's not an absolute solution doesn't mean it's useless.

As far as balancing goes...
1. Is it even necessary on a motorcycle wheel? Maybe so, maybe not, maybe only if out of balance conditions present themselves while under way. You are a whole lot more likely to hear a guy say "I was washing the bike and I see where my wheel weights come unglued" than you are to hear him say" I had to get the bike towed home cuz my weights flew off and it rode like a rodeo bull".
2. Do liquid additives work ? Do beads work? Plenty of us insist they do. Odd that the proofs are testimonials and You Tube vids but you can't find ironclad data that shuts up us doubters. Just doesn't seem right that after the amount of time that these things have been on the market, someone can't produce stats that demonstrate that they work as well as or better than weights or nothing for that matter, and that the use of them empirically increases tire life or wear characteristics or something.
Now don't go hating because you invested in Dynabeads or whatever and spent part of a Sunday trying to get more stuff in your tire than on it. If it gives you peace of mind for a few bucks and you believe that it improves anything then it's money well spent. Screw what anybody else thinks.
I just can't reconcile a world full of tire balancing equipment with the lack of alternate pour in options when you go for tires. Hell, you would think that the shop would put up signs saying balance with weights- free, balance with pour in product of your choice -20 bucks and then push the 20 dollar option. Just saying...
You make some good points but for me the proof is in the results. Goldwings are notorious for front wheel cupping even when the tire pressure is correct and the tire was balanced at the time of installation. Adding in my case the Centramatic balancer eleiminated the problem and as a result I got more mileage from the front tire. On the Vision, I do not have the same issues in the front as the Goldwing but I do think the ride will be improved once I get them on the bike. I am not sold on the Dynabeads after having ridden now on both.
__________________
ATGATT because walking away in disgust is better than riding away in an ambulance.

Larry

2011 Pearl White Vision 50,291 smiles in 2 years
lstayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum