Who's owned a sports tourer? (like FJR, etc.) - Page 4 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #31
lunaticrider

Garage

Ninja 1000 with the hard bag option would be my choice. Ride all day comfort but sporty enough to do a track day + fast enough to keep the smile on your face...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #32
Emack76

My buddy and I ride together a fair bit. He's got a '01 Concours 1000. It runs off and leaves my XCT. Being able to get to 8k rpm makes it no contest. It's also quite comfortable and he's never complained about ergos.

I'm 5'8" (while he's 5'10") and all the sport tourers are a bit tall for me. I'd rather not give up a plush seat or suspension mods to bring it down to my height...

I'll take the XCT all day long! The ability to sit upright with my feet on the rear of the boards, or stretch out into a clamshell is fantastic. Give me a LOT of seating positions in between for those long rides. Did I mention the ipod?

Good luck!
Central Missouri
Emack76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
Roadrocket

After 50-55 age & general physical condition dictate a lot of things
Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
T-man
Lifetime Premium

Might want to check out the Suzuki V-stroms as well. I've got the 650 version w/ a sergeant seat, bar backs, Jesse aluminum paniers (saddle bags) and taller windshield and its comfortable for 600 mile days. Engines are bullet proof and is faster and much more nimble than my XR. The foot pegs are also lower and further forward (more comfortable) than the sport tourers. The journalist love them. I lowered it 3/4" because of my short legs (easy 50 dollar fix). I'm 55,5'9", 175lb.s. Don't let the 650cc's throw you, it puts out 68 hp which is more than adequate for a 450lb bike. These engines have been used in club racing for years in Suzuki's SV 650 and are extremely reliable even after um.. well.. multiple get offs shall we say.
2001 TTR-125 Yamaha
1991 Honda NT650 Hawk (crashed,repaired,sold)
1982 GPZ 550 Kawasaki (sold)
1980 GS 750E Suzuki (crashed,repaired,sold)
1972 Schwinn Paperboy (stolen)
Tricycle 1960
Born 1957

Last edited by T-man; 11-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-man View Post
Might want to check out the Suzuki V-stroms as well.
Or go full bore adventure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=oLlrzjABTCY#!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #36
Rollin'

If you're only going to ride to 48 states I would buy a Vegas. 49 states - a Kingpin.
You want an adventure touring bike? A vision -

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #37
Marius

Well... the Triumph/Ducati dealership didn't have any of the sports tourers, and neither did the yamaha/honda/suzuki dealership near my house. They did have a 650vstorm and a Ulysses. All I did was sit on those bikes since they are brand new and didn't even have oil in them. They felt so different! I sat on the Ulysses and really liked the seating potition, my posture, and the angle on my knee bend was acceptable. My legs felt fairly relaxed which was nice. Then I got on the vstorm650 and my knee felt more bent and the overalll position felt more cramped, like a crotch rocket, oh no... not this one. I'm 6ft, and am really weird about having my knees too bent, or bent past a certain angle. Anyway... need to get on one of the real sports tourers, but first I gotta find a place that even carries them...
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #38
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius View Post
Well... the Triumph/Ducati dealership didn't have any of the sports tourers, and neither did the yamaha/honda/suzuki dealership near my house. They did have a 650vstorm and a Ulysses. All I did was sit on those bikes since they are brand new and didn't even have oil in them. They felt so different! I sat on the Ulysses and really liked the seating potition, my posture, and the angle on my knee bend was acceptable. My legs felt fairly relaxed which was nice. Then I got on the vstorm650 and my knee felt more bent and the overalll position felt more cramped, like a crotch rocket, oh no... not this one. I'm 6ft, and am really weird about having my knees too bent, or bent past a certain angle. Anyway... need to get on one of the real sports tourers, but first I gotta find a place that even carries them...
The Buell is probably a decent bike, but it shakes like a Harley at low rpms and parts/support may be limited with Buell having been out of business for a while now.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #39
Marius

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
The Buell is probably a decent bike, but it shakes like a Harley at low rpms and parts/support may be limited with Buell having been out of business for a while now.
Yeah, no joke, looks like they slapped a modified cruiser engine in there. The salesman mentioned the vibs as well. That's ok, I don't see either of the two being very good highway bikes. Not better than a connie or FJR anyway.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #40
Marius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
If you're only going to ride to 48 states I would buy a Vegas. 49 states - a Kingpin.
You want an adventure touring bike? A vision -

[IMG][/IMG]
That's a nice pic. Those are definitely the sites I'd love to ride through. Why not take a couple of weeks off and cruise over to yellowstone, through pikes peak in Denver, and whatever else is along the way. God I can't wait till I have a bike ready for this

If I were to mod something like a Vegas or a KP for this, then I might as well use my Hammer. I actually think it's a great bike for highway duty. I just love the Hammer too much as it sits, I don't want to cruiser-ise it. You understand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement