Paint or Powdercoat - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Nycskool50

Default Paint or Powdercoat

I've decided to paint my bike over the winter and shit-can that gaudy tribal flame motif once and for all. My plan is flat black tins with some nice old-school pin-striping. I have a paint shop and a powder-coat place who are both willing to do the same work for the same price. I need some EDUCATED opinions on both options. Thanks for the help
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
8BallHammer

Garage

Can't speak from personal experience, but it is my understanding that powder coating is more durable.
Big City Thunder Thunder Monsters
Controls 2" forward
Blacked out turn signals
De-badged

2013 AF Green CC
Mostly stock

If they had an ass, they would be pants
8BallHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Billyrides

I remember back in 2003 replacing the hood on my F150 and being shocked that it wasn't steel.

I think you will find the same thing with a lot of the Victory parts. When I started taking "metal" parts off of my XR to go to the powdercoater, they ended up in the painters bin instead because they were plastic. In other words, on some of the parts, you may not have a choice.

Powdercoating holds up great and I PC most of the things that I can PC on my bikes. If it is the tins though and I am repainting them, I do just that, take them to a good painter. Anytime I have done a repaint, I have wanted something a lot more custom then what I could get at my powder coaters. Wheels, forks, any parts getting hit by road debris a lot, go with PC.
2012 Harley FLHTP (Keeping service techs busy)
Billyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
ridealittle

is it even safe to powder coat a gas tank after being used?
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
hammer316

had a set of tins on harley powder coated candy purple turned out great and alot strong than paint thats for sure.they colors of powder they have a really good alot of guys powder coat the tins the clear coat it
hammer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
pipehitter01
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Default Powder Coat

I am currently having my bike painted and repaired and Powder coated all the steel parts.

Good luck, I will post pics when complete.

2013 Judge
Black
WitchDoctor - Cam, Oil cover
Custom Paint - Luck 13 Number plate

2000 V92SC
Custom Paint
Apes
Ness mirrors
Ness turn and brake lights

Big Island Love!
pipehitter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
ChiTownVegas

For what it's worth, you can powdercoat plastic. I've had it done....
LLoydz 1/4 turn throttle ring
RPW Slash Exhaust
S&S Intake
PCV w/AutoTune
ChiTownVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Bad V V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycskool50 View Post
I've decided to paint my bike over the winter and shit-can that gaudy tribal flame motif once and for all. My plan is flat black tins with some nice old-school pin-striping. I have a paint shop and a powder-coat place who are both willing to do the same work for the same price. I need some EDUCATED opinions on both options. Thanks for the help
Hey some of still like that tribal paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyrides View Post
I remember back in 2003 replacing the hood on my F150 and being shocked that it wasn't steel.

I think you will find the same thing with a lot of the Victory parts. When I started taking "metal" parts off of my XR to go to the powdercoater, they ended up in the painters bin instead because they were plastic. In other words, on some of the parts, you may not have a choice.

Powdercoating holds up great and I PC most of the things that I can PC on my bikes. If it is the tins though and I am repainting them, I do just that, take them to a good painter. Anytime I have done a repaint, I have wanted something a lot more custom then what I could get at my powder coaters. Wheels, forks, any parts getting hit by road debris a lot, go with PC.
Only plastic parts on vegas, hammer and kp are the side covers.

I'd definely go with powder coat I had my old honda shadow and it looked great.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
NGArider

Only thing that has kept me from powdercoating more is how to touch up little nicks and scrapes.
KTM 950 Super Enduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
See, this is what happens when a whole nation quits bitchslapping our kids. Stupid people do not even get the chance to learn the importance of keeping their mouths shut.
NGArider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
visionjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridealittle View Post
is it even safe to powder coat a gas tank after being used?
They bake power coating on. So tank would have to go in a over for a few hour at 250 degrees. What do you think. You would have to pull fuel pump.

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement