Trip Computer Changing Readouts On Its Own - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
wspollack
Senior Member
 
wspollack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 751
Default Trip Computer Changing Readouts On Its Own

My trip computer seems to be changing readouts on its own a lot lately. By that, I mean that I usually leave the readout on Trip A, which I reset with every gas fillup. I've noticed in the past few weeks that when I start the bike, it sometimes shows the odometer, instead; I could've sworn that it stays on the same function you left it on, when you shut down the bike and then re-start it.

I went for a short ride today, and it seemed to be changing the readout about every mile, or less, sort of cycling through the various values on its own. What was different today, BTW, is that it was 47 degrees out, and I had the seat, grips, and my heated liner on ("medium" heat). That's a lot of current draw, so I wondered whether that contributes to anything. (Nope, I haven't checked my battery terminals for tightness since maybe April, at which time I applied the official torque to them, after adding some farkles.) OTOH, I plugged in my Battery Tender Jr. when I got home, and it was "green" immediately (which means that the battery wasn't low, which in turn means, I believe, that it wasn't being drained, as a result of insufficient alternator output or because it wasn't connected well).

This may be an issue for the dealer come next spring. In the meantime, has anyone else noticed the trip computer's cycling through its different readings, more or less on a whim?
__________________
Cheers,

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
CrossRoads
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
My trip computer seems to be changing readouts on its own a lot lately. By that, I mean that I usually leave the readout on Trip A, which I reset with every gas fillup. I've noticed in the past few weeks that when I start the bike, it sometimes shows the odometer, instead; I could've sworn that it stays on the same function you left it on, when you shut down the bike and then re-start it.

I went for a short ride today, and it seemed to be changing the readout about every mile, or less, sort of cycling through the various values on its own. What was different today, BTW, is that it was 47 degrees out, and I had the seat, grips, and my heated liner on ("medium" heat). That's a lot of current draw, so I wondered whether that contributes to anything. (Nope, I haven't checked my battery terminals for tightness since maybe April, at which time I applied the official torque to them, after adding some farkles.) OTOH, I plugged in my Battery Tender Jr. when I got home, and it was "green" immediately (which means that the battery wasn't low, which in turn means, I believe, that it wasn't being drained, as a result of insufficient alternator output or because it wasn't connected well).

This may be an issue for the dealer come next spring. In the meantime, has anyone else noticed the trip computer's cycling through its different readings, more or less on a whim?
Your clutch lever is touching the cycle button on the handle bar. Loosen the two screws that hold the clutch assembly in place, and rotate it downwards until the clutch lever no longer lands on the button.
__________________
Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HID upgrade kits: VictoryHID.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
wspollack
Senior Member
 
wspollack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Your clutch lever is touching the cycle button on the handle bar. Loosen the two screws that hold the clutch assembly in place, and rotate it downwards until the clutch lever no longer lands on the button.
One other thing I forgot to mention: I went for a long ride - probably last nice day of the year around here - on Monday. Monday evening, I decided that I'd like the clutch lever higher, so I loosened the bolts and swung it up a tad, i.e., as high as it would go, as I then encountered some resistance (maybe ran out of slack, vs. a cable tie, or something).

Of course, I didn't think about that change at all, as I was sure this was an electrical/electronic issue. Just got back from dinner, read this, and went out to the garage, and squeezed the clutch, while looking at the display-change switch. I must say: whoa, that's a dumb design of the switch position, or the curvature of the lever, or both.

Thanks much, CR! I'm not sure whether I'll just live with it, or put the lever back where it was. But you're right on the money.
__________________
Cheers,

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Creek_IP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mule Town, L.A. (Lower AL)
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
Thanks much, CR! I'm not sure whether I'll just live with it, or put the lever back where it was. But you're right on the money.
You can probably rotate the lever down a tiny bit and get the clearance you need while still having a more comfortable grip on the clutch. It's worth the minute it will take to try.
__________________
Riding a 2012 Imperial Blue Cross Country
Creek_IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum