Anyone Have Problems With Loydz Air Filter - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
BeoBob

Default Anyone Have Problems With Loydz Air Filter

Installed the Loydz air filter on my Cross Country last night. Haven't taken it for a spin yet because it's cold and raining. Which brings me to my question... the new filter leaves a 1" gap between the tank and frame exposing the filter. Anybody have problems with rain water getting in there? Anyone come up with a solution to this potential problem?

Thanks.
2013 Cross Country Tour: Stage 1 exhaust, Lloydz Hi-Flow air filter, cams (HOH-VM1-DR), timing gear (HOH-PTS), Power Commander V, Auto Tune module, Gustafson flip shield, OEM passenger backrest with Cycle Ops luggage rack, Vic HID, heel shifter.

2011 Cross Country: Burnt and Traded
BeoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
GatorJoe
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Subscribed.. See you live near me and know about Florida's Rain ..
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
ChuglyXJ

Rain in Florida, only every day... I do still really enjoy my visits there.

My guess is that the gap is there to draw in more air as it is a filter with a much higher flow rating. I am looking into getting one over the winter, bike gets parked once there is snow/ice covering the road to my place.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
BeoBob

Yes, it rains often here and I have to ride through a monsoon on occasion. The last thing I want is for the bike to ingest enough water to cause damage or premature wear/failure. When cleaning the previous filter I noticed a white ring on the frame where the filter sits (as well as whole bugs, leaves, and other various debris stuck in the filter). Looked like water had sneaked past the factory seal and sat there until it evaporated. If that can happen with the seal in place I'm wondering how much water and other stuff is going to get in there without the seal.

I have a Kawasaki as my #2 bike. It has an aftermarket intake installed with a K&N filter that is completely exposed. I park and throw a plastic bag over the intake if it rains hard.

The XC is my long distance bike. Don't want to park if it starts raining hard... put on the rain gear and keep rolling.
2013 Cross Country Tour: Stage 1 exhaust, Lloydz Hi-Flow air filter, cams (HOH-VM1-DR), timing gear (HOH-PTS), Power Commander V, Auto Tune module, Gustafson flip shield, OEM passenger backrest with Cycle Ops luggage rack, Vic HID, heel shifter.

2011 Cross Country: Burnt and Traded
BeoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
dtmmil
Premium Member

I have wondered this also, but I have seen people that have posted about taking the strip out and still running in plenty of rain without issue. I put a lloyds in the other day myself.
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, thrush glasspack mod conversion(#24201),Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(8*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

I've had mine several months. No problems observed.
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
kmoulds

I've had one since they were released and I haven't had any problems and I've ridden in some heavy rain.

Cheers Kym
kmoulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

You may get a few drops of water in there but nothing that will hurt it. HD's run the filter right out in the rain with no problems.

I almost bought one of these. Are you guys having good results with them? Is it worth the high price they cost?
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
vagabondjpm

I modified my strip to still use it with my Llyodz filter just so I didn't worry about rain or other contaminants. I ran the Vic performance filter without the strip for about 5K miles and it was black a night.

No, it doesn't cause any noticeable drawbacks. My setup is the signature and I have nearly zero popping and no complaints with roll on power.

Ride safe.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
ndabunka

Not certain of the cause of your concern. The filters COMPLETELY SEALS off the intake with, well.... the filter itself. If any water DID happen to get "too" the filter, the filter would simply absorb it, right? IMHO you would have to get a LOT of water in there (like a hose pointing into the opening which isn't going to happen under normal riding circumstances unless you were trying to ride through the NYC subways during Sandy)

Someone running the Lloyds on a Cross Roads might have an issue but I would don't that anyone with a Cross Country would have the same issues since the front fairing blocks the majority of the water from having any "direct" access to that opening so there is one more thing to comfort your thoughts.

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Klockwerks Windshield, Garage Door Mod, Custom Ness Highway Pegs, Ness Thunderheader slip on's, PC-V
ndabunka is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement