Who's owned a sports tourer? (like FJR, etc.) - Page 5 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #41
Billyrides

I've done a SS1000 on both a ZZR1200 and a ZX14. Somehow I think that you prefer to spread your thousand miles out over a longer period of time, but it certainly can be done in a day.

Only problem I have ever had with sport tourers on long rides is that you are more or less locked into one leg position. Doesn't matter how comfortable that position is, your knees still get sore from staying in the same position in my case for anything over 600 miles in a shot.

I am seriously considering a Concours 1400 in the future. I started my ST days with a Yamaha FJ1100 followed by two 1200s but the FJR is a bit small for me compared to the Kaw. If it isn't a Concourse, it will be a Triumph trophy. I loved my Speed Triple so I am excited to try one of these bikes out. ST is awesome but I have never been able to bond with Honda.

To go back to your question, if I wanted a touring bike for strictly touring, it would be a Vision or a big ol BMW. The next step down in my eyes puts the CR, XR and Sport Tourers in very similar categories. Although it is shocking at how well some of these ST perform, they also do a great job eating up the roads. Same with the CR and XR although obviously to a lesser degree.
2012 Harley FLHTP (Keeping service techs busy)
Billyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #42
i h8 winter

Look into a Sv1000 or 600 that'd be a cheap way to try a sport bike and if you like it you could add the bags and taller bars.
i h8 winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #43
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius View Post
I want to get into long distance touringÖ

And my priorities consist of: Agility, Speed, nimbleness, basically a bike I donít have to manhandle on every turn.

So Iím thinking swapping one of my cruisers for a sports tourer. The FJR1300 is probably one to look at, if I can find one used, but Iím willing to consider anything really. Just want something nimble and comfortable.

So, has anyone here had or have a sports tourer? Am I in for a complete shell shock coming off a cruiser?
I've put a lot of miles on the Honda ST1300, and both the Concours 1000 and the 1400. I also have a lot of miles on a newer Honda VFR800. Haven't ridden the FJR more than a few miles...

The ST1300 and both Kawi's are tremendous "all day" bikes. They perform like sport bikes, have great ergos, are great cold weather bikes too with their excellent fairings. The FJR is similar but IMHO isn't quite as comfortable for the long haul (sportier ergos)...

I am 49 yrs old and can only own one bike right now and comfort means more to me now than it did 10 or 20 years ago. I just sold my VFR which is a great sport tourer, although more on the sporty side than the others I listed--ergos more like the FJR, a lot less wind protection than the others.

I bought the XC because I thought it is by far the most comfortable of all these bikes and I like the fact that it can handle a whole lot more gear than the others. Try riding them all if you can!!!!
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #44
Rollin'

Quote:
That's a nice pic. Those are definitely the sites I'd love to ride through. Why not take a couple of weeks off and cruise over to yellowstone, through pikes peak in Denver, and whatever else is along the way. God I can't wait till I have a bike ready for this

If I were to mod something like a Vegas or a KP for this, then I might as well use my Hammer. I actually think it's a great bike for highway duty. I just love the Hammer too much as it sits, I don't want to cruiser-ise it. You understand...
Yep. Why not -

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #45
Ninja

Ducati ST4S ABS - superbike engine, race suspension, all day comfort and luggage good for week+ long trips. It is surprisingly reliable and has never let me down. Maintenance can get pricey unless you're wrenching it yourself. It is pretty darn close to perfection.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

2013 XCT Sunset Red
Stage 1 Flash
CATS removed
Tri-oval exhaust
Lloydz' Air Filter
Lloydz' ATS
PCV with AT
Lloydz' Touring Cams (tuned by The Vic Shop)
Lloydz' 1/4 turn throttle ring
Madstad Road Glide shield

2006 HD VRSCR
2006 HD FXDB blacked out
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #46
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Ducati ST4S ABS - superbike engine, race suspension, all day comfort and luggage good for week+ long trips. It is surprisingly reliable and has never let me down. Maintenance can get pricey unless you're wrenching it yourself. It is pretty darn close to perfection.
A man after my own heart:

After about 70k miles on those things, I developed a bad case of Golfer's elbows. I didn't realize the bike was causing it until I wrecked the last one and lost it in a subsequent fire while it was in the shop. After being off of it several months, my arms started working again. Serendipity.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #47
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
A man after my own heart:

After about 70k miles on those things, I developed a bad case of Golfer's elbows. I didn't realize the bike was causing it until I wrecked the last one and lost it in a subsequent fire while it was in the shop. After being off of it several months, my arms started working again. Serendipity.
Nice collection. Formerly in my stable...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00486.jpg (39.2 KB, 7 views)

2013 XCT Sunset Red
Stage 1 Flash
CATS removed
Tri-oval exhaust
Lloydz' Air Filter
Lloydz' ATS
PCV with AT
Lloydz' Touring Cams (tuned by The Vic Shop)
Lloydz' 1/4 turn throttle ring
Madstad Road Glide shield

2006 HD VRSCR
2006 HD FXDB blacked out
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #48
Bryk

Quote:
Well... the Triumph/Ducati dealership didn't have any of the sports tourers, and neither did the yamaha/honda/suzuki dealership near my house. They did have a 650vstorm and a Ulysses. All I did was sit on those bikes since they are brand new and didn't even have oil in them. They felt so different! I sat on the Ulysses and really liked the seating potition, my posture, and the angle on my knee bend was acceptable. My legs felt fairly relaxed which was nice. Then I got on the vstorm650 and my knee felt more bent and the overalll position felt more cramped, like a crotch rocket, oh no... not this one. I'm 6ft, and am really weird about having my knees too bent, or bent past a certain angle. Anyway... need to get on one of the real sports tourers, but first I gotta find a place that even carries them...
The Triumph Trophy ST is new for 2013 and last I heard was January 2013 was when it was going to hit showrooms(In the US).

Reflective Light Yellow Rimstripes,
Passenger Armrests,
Klockwerks Flare Windshield.
2 inch Pullback Handlebars,
Lower Locks,
Rivco LED Mirrors,
Heel shifter.
CycleOps Gloss black winged V trunk rack
Madstad windshield bracket
Kruzer Kaddy Driver Cup holder
Bryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Nice collection. Formerly in my stable...
So your body is breaking down too, eh?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #50
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
If they offer side cases that'd be a good option.
Ask and ye shall receive:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement