brukus bag mounts - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
wspollack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcflyguy View Post
Where do yo buy these bracus bag mounts and do they come with the screws and spacers and other hardware?
Thanks bcflyguy
I got mine from their site, although I believe there are some motorcycle shops that are dealers.

This is their regular link: http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...parts&pc=12995 ; however, here's the link for VMF members, which will save you a few bucks:

http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...parts&pc=12573

Click on the appropriate product link, and you'll see exactly what you get.

I exchanged a few emails with Brukus after getting my set in July, and they went through the machining, etc., involved in the hardware, after I suggested that they might sell more if they lowered the price a bit; they said that their material and machining costs were pretty high, so they couldn't go lower. So, to each his own: you can go the hardware-store route, or Brukus, or do nothing.

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
bcflyguy
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Send a message via MSN to bcflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
I got mine from their site, although I believe there are some motorcycle shops that are dealers.

This is their regular link: http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...parts&pc=12995 ; however, here's the link for VMF members, which will save you a few bucks:

http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...parts&pc=12573

Click on the appropriate product link, and you'll see exactly what you get.

I exchanged a few emails with Brukus after getting my set in July, and they went through the machining, etc., involved in the hardware, after I suggested that they might sell more if they lowered the price a bit; they said that their material and machining costs were pretty high, so they couldn't go lower. So, to each his own: you can go the hardware-store route, or Brukus, or do nothing.
Thanks for the info Bill. Just ordered them and they should be her in 10 days
bcflyguy aka Neil
bcflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

These are great and not just for security reasons.... I have a lot more confidence in these than the stock quick release system--relatively cheap insurance for spendy bags. Top shelf hardware and a good design!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
gulliverstoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcflyguy View Post
Where do yo buy these bracus bag mounts and do they come with the screws and spacers and other hardware?
Thanks bcflyguy
google it - brukus.com

and yes - everything is there - install is 5 min - they are peachy
Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Raccoon

Not a bad solution, however I just bought a right angle ratcheting screwdriver set from Lowes for $10. (great for tight spaces) It includes about 5 or 6 different sizes of "security Torx" bits that fit the screws that are used in the Brukus kit.

Just a heads up, the security screws are readily available from most hardware stores, as are the blind nuts.

I did the same thing to my bags after hearing about them falling off, however I used brass toilet tank to bowl bolts. They have a very shallow head which keeps them low profile and the brass is water and weather proof. I crimped the blind nuts a bit to make the screws an "interference" fit to prevent vibration from loosening them. I wasn't going for security as an anti-theft, but as a "save $1K on a replacement bag" type of security.

I believe I can't really stop someone from taking my bags if they want them bad enough and they have enough time to do so (short of welding them on), but I CAN prevent them from falling off inadvertently.

Ride On.

2012 Cross Country, Sunset Red/Silver
KlockWerks Flare Windshield
DIY Polycarbonate Lowers
Victory iPod Connection Kit
Victory Custom Logo Mirrors
DIY LED Interior Saddlebag lights
Jamestown Bronze Liberty Gremlin Bell
Victory Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
Kewlmetal Black Powdercoated Luggage Rack
Corbin Gunfighter
LED Driving/Aux Lights
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
wspollack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Not a bad solution, however I just bought a right angle ratcheting screwdriver set from Lowes for $10. (great for tight spaces) It includes about 5 or 6 different sizes of "security Torx" bits that fit the screws that are used in the Brukus kit.

Just a heads up, the security screws are readily available from most hardware stores, as are the blind nuts.

I did the same thing to my bags after hearing about them falling off, however I used brass toilet tank to bowl bolts. They have a very shallow head which keeps them low profile and the brass is water and weather proof. I crimped the blind nuts a bit to make the screws an "interference" fit to prevent vibration from loosening them. I wasn't going for security as an anti-theft, but as a "save $1K on a replacement bag" type of security.

I believe I can't really stop someone from taking my bags if they want them bad enough and they have enough time to do so (short of welding them on), but I CAN prevent them from falling off inadvertently.

Ride On.
Raccoon,

Just a minor clarification: the Brukus bolts have a pin in the center. The Torx-LIKE tool that they provide has a hollow center, so that its shaft fits over that pin, so that the rest of the tool can engage the rest of the inside of the bolt head. Thus, I'm pretty sure that an ordinary Torx bit won't work on these bolts.

That said, in keeping with what you say, anyone with a pry bar can open the saddlebag lids and get at the contents. Anyone with a knife, screwdriver, key, etc., can damage them big time.

I got my Brukus set shortly after buying my XCT mostly because I read some posts of the stock fasteners coming updone. That is, not only don't I want my bags stolen, I don't want them bouncing down the road, either.

Regarding damaged bags, BTW, I also posted a rant concerning how expensive parts for the bags are (see http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11516 ), the executive summary of which is that it's cheaper to buy a new set of TWO than to buy parts for ONE bag. Go figure.

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
Raccoon

Quote:
Raccoon,

Just a minor clarification: the Brukus bolts have a pin in the center. The Torx-LIKE tool that they provide has a hollow center, so that its shaft fits over that pin, so that the rest of the tool can engage the rest of the inside of the bolt head. Thus, I'm pretty sure that an ordinary Torx bit won't work on these bolts.

That said, in keeping with what you say, anyone with a pry bar can open the saddlebag lids and get at the contents. Anyone with a knife, screwdriver, key, etc., can damage them big time.

I got my Brukus set shortly after buying my XCT mostly because I read some posts of the stock fasteners coming updone. That is, not only don't I want my bags stolen, I don't want them bouncing down the road, either.

Regarding damaged bags, BTW, I also posted a rant concerning how expensive parts for the bags are (see http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11516 ), the executive summary of which is that it's cheaper to buy a new set of TWO than to buy parts for ONE bag. Go figure.
For clarification, the pin in the head of the "Bruckus" bolt is what makes it a "security Torx".

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/...FUxxQgodcBUAsw

If you were led to believe that the Bruckus bolts were manufactured by them to have a pin in the head, you were mistaken. I recently purchased and used a few of these from my LHS to attach my front yard garden hose box to a fence, to help discourage theft.

Hope this clears my previous message up if there was confusion.

DIY Polycarbonate Lowers
Corbin Gunfighter
LED Driving/Aux Lights
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
wspollack

Quote:
For clarification, the pin in the head of the "Bruckus" bolt is what makes it a "security Torx".

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/...FUxxQgodcBUAsw

If you were led to believe that the Bruckus bolts were manufactured by them to have a pin in the head, you were mistaken. I recently purchased and used a few of these from my LHS to attach my front yard garden hose box to a fence, to help discourage theft.

Hope this clears my previous message up if there was confusion.
Nope, I wasn't led to believe that - I just assumed it. I didn't know that security Torx were different than just plain ol' Torx. Thanks for the post - I learn something new every day. I sit corrected.

Bill P.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
Raccoon

Quote:
Nope, I wasn't led to believe that - I just assumed it. I didn't know that security Torx were different than just plain ol' Torx. Thanks for the post - I learn something new every day. I sit corrected.
No problem, glad I could inform you. I am a machinist, so hardware like this is kind of up my alley. There are different types of regular torx screws as well. Torx is actually a brand name, and are sometimes called "star" bits.

Here's an interesting Wiki on Torx and other screw drive systems, if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

The only real "security" type screws that you can readily purchase that I know of anyway, are the "one-way" screws that you would normally see on public bathroom hinges and latches. The driver engages the screw or bolt to tighten it but not to loosen.

Of course this renders the bags non-removable. Not good.

DIY Polycarbonate Lowers
Corbin Gunfighter
LED Driving/Aux Lights
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
wspollack

Quote:
Here's an interesting Wiki on Torx and other screw drive systems, if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
Thanks, Raccoon. Oh, I'm interested in this stuff, all right. Four years ago, I started a thread to inform people about JIS screws on a motorcycle (okay, maxi-scooter) forum, here: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28818 . I wrote several follow-up posts in that thread, and eventually rode a side-trip of a few hundred miles, in order to show one of the leaders of that forum four different screwdrivers.

Bill P.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement