How does the Hammer "Handle" versus the Suzuki M109R?? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
phatjoe

Default How does the Hammer "Handle" versus the Suzuki M109R??

Hello,

I actually sold my M109R because I just didnít like the way it handled. It just felt uncomfortable through turns. Iím attributing a lot to the 240mm rear tire.

Iíve been looking around for a vegas or a highball, BUT came across a hammer at a great price.

Iím a little hesitant because of my experience with the m109r. Can anyone speak to the handling difference between the hammer and the m109r?

Iím trying to see if I can test ride a hammer this weekend. But Iím hoping to get input from folks on this board as well.

THANKS!!
phatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
07PEARLJACKPOT

test ride all three,all victory dealers will let you
test ride their bikes. from my experience i have
rode all three and the highball wins hands down!
KURYAKYN FLAME PEGS
"JACKPOT" OIL COOLER COVER
CHROME STARTER COVER
MEMPHIS SHADES WINDSHIELD
VICTORY TOOL ROLL
RPW SLASH EXHAUST
S&S INTAKE
KURYAKYN ELLIPSE MIRRORS
07PEARLJACKPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Vegas Bagger

I came from a 9. The Hammer has a 250 rear so ithinking that the handling is going to be the same. On my 9 I put on the 250 rear and a 160 up front and it made a huge difference in handling. I havent checked to see what the Hammer is running up front.
Vegas Bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

The 109 has shaft final drive and that adds a considerable amount of unsprung weight. The suspension is better on the Hammer and the unsprung weight is less so the rear suspension controls wheel movement better. Still requires more steering effort than the bikes with 180mm or smaller rear tires, but not as choppy of a ride as the 109.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Marius

If the rear tire was the problem on the previous bike chances are it will also be the same on the hammer.
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Mr_Buzzcut
Premium Member

Garage

It took a few rides to get used to but I think the hammer handles nice. BTW I have the Hammer S with the pulled back bars. They say the Hammer with the V bars doesnt handle as good because you have to reach for them.
Lloyds VM1 cams
Lloyds ATS
PCV
RPW Thor exhaust
1/4 turn throttle ring

USMC 87-92
Mr_Buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Marius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Buzzcut View Post
It took a few rides to get used to but I think the hammer handles nice. BTW I have the Hammer S with the pulled back bars. They say the Hammer with the V bars doesnt handle as good because you have to reach for them.
This is true. I am actually in the process of converting my Hammer to a Hammer S seating position (which only involves handle bar mod and footpeg extensions)

I did the footpegs already and absolutely love how that changed my feel position. I feel much better planted on the bike now.

I'm going to install 2inch risers to raise the factory v bars next, and then probably swap over to the jackpot handle bars if the risers don't provide enough pullback. I do like the look of the v bars, so I will try to make them work if I can.

But regardles... some riders never get use to that big tire, so if that was your main issue on the 109 then you could still be turned off by the tire on the hammer. Best thing to do is test ride a few miles.
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...

Last edited by Marius; 11-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
TNXR

I know it is not the same but I have M50 with a 200mm tire and it really hurt the handling in the twisties but it does look cool. I agree that a 180 is about as big as you want to go on the back and still have a great handling bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement