What kind of rider are you? - Page 3 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
handyhoward

Garage

I decide on a direction and start riding... sometimes I ride in circles just to see the area and visit out of the way places. When I have gone as far as I want in one direction I pick another.

Last big adventure was my desire to ride around each of the Great Lakes... so my plan was to ride in BIG circles. Had a blast... I even ran out of fuel crossing the border at Sault Ste Marie and had to be pushed out of the way by the border guard. After circling the Lakes, I headed northeast to Maine... and crisscrossed the coastal areas headed south for a while... crossed back to the Skyway to the Tail and then on south from there to home. About 32 days of riding... and 2 days of hiding from the weather.

2013 Indian Vintage Chief FE... #7 of 25

2011 Victory Vision Tour Premium...
handyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
Kevrox

Garage

A lot of times, we will just head out and see where the road leads.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
Lem
Lifetime Premium

The majority of my rides are to a specific destination by whatever route I feel like going, or i'll turn my GPS on to that address/location and if I see some interesting looking road head down that and let me GPS reroute me after I am done exploring it. When my wife and I just want to go out for an hour or three for a ride though we just meander around, and if I dont know my way back from wherever we end up I just hit home on the GPS until I am somewhere I recognize (The GPS option on the XCT is excellent, slightly antequated compared to google maps on my phone but the way its integrated into the bike and the motorcycle glove friendly screen makes it awesome. It even shows up who's calling my phone so I know if I need to stop and answer or if I can call back in a couple hours, unless I am wearing my FF helmet with built in bluetooth then I can answer while I ride )

2009 Pearl Red V-Star 950
Sold
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
LongRIder

I'm 55 years old and have been riding since early teens. Got a motorcycle before I owned a car. My friends and I ride every Wednesday night, and every Sunday. We may ride 100 - 150 miles on a Wed. and 200 - 300 on Sundays. Mostly on the backroads of RI, MA, and CT. I also ride to work every day, ( weather permiting) 60 mile round trip. We also usually do one big trip in the spring. usually 2500 - 3500 miles in 8 days. I have a compass mounted on my dash and maps in the saddlebag. I plan my routes ahead of time and write the routes in sequence on long trips. regular day riding I use my compass and just do lefts and rights paying attention to my direction. Then just reverse directions and do the same going home. We find more great roads like this!!! My friends always make me lead.....it sucks sometimes when I just feel like following and listening to the tunes. But, the good part is when I lead, I ride where and how I like. If they follow fine, if not? ......they always follow!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #25
orbiker

I enjoy the planning. The last 4 years have been eppic vacation rides. About 6 or 8 months out I will figure out where we are going and do some rough route planning. I will look at different interesting thing to do on the route on the internet via either mc chat boards or just direct searching.
Then I'll take a break for a month or so, before I plan some more. Most of the planning is just rough planning. Not too many things will ever get set in stone unless there might be a possible of a not available status, such as staying at Grand Canyon campgrounds (which fill up early). I try not to lock in a reservation unless it is unavoidable.
I like using paper maps, google maps and mapsource with the Garmin 60CSX.
We will wonder off the route in a moments notice for something interesting. We very rarely travel via the interstate unless it is not possible or practical.
Local rides are just navigated by memory anywhere inside Oregon. I'm running out of roads here that I have not been on before. But I keep looking!

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #26
Rollin'

I like to do rides that no one on a Victory has done before!
Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #27
orbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
Ya you have.
Did you ever get all that calsum carbonate off your bike. My old road king after the 2 years still has some of that crap here and there.

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #28
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
Do you ride on the moon?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #29
Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
Ya you have.
Did you ever get all that calsum carbonate off your bike. My old road king after the 2 years still has some of that crap here and there.
I think so. I washed it and washed it and washed it again.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Do you ride on the moon?
I like to do Iron Butt rides. I try to pick IBA rides that have not been done on a Victory.

Some of the "first" Victory rides -
IBA - 48 States in less than 10 days - done on a Vegas
IBA - 49 States in less than 10 days - done on a Kingpin
IBA - Over 2000 miles in less than 36 hours - done on a Vision 8-Ball
IBA - UCC - Key West, FL to Prudhoe Bay, AK - done on a Vision 8-Ball

Also the first person to ride a Victory in all 50 states.

I think riding on the moon would be easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement