Starter - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 11-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
jlynch34

Default Starter

My bike starts up fine but sounds like the starter is constantly engaged, hit kill button engine turns off but starter still grinding, take key out same thing ,had to disconnect neg from batt to stop it. What could it be, I'm nit really knowledgeable about these things ,Help please anyone

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Speedblue

Default Relay

Possibly the starter relay is stuck on. Try pulling it out and if it stops,that is more than likely the problem. If it continues to stay engaged I would say more than likely a short in the harness. NOTE: I did not look at a schematic,but most newer vehicles do run a relay for the starter.
Speedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
jlynch34

Not sure where that relay is, checked starter switch seemed fine, don't have owners or repair manual, very frustrated just got it back from dealer because it wouldn't start

Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Bad V V

I'd take it back to the dealer.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
visionjohnny

Might even be a weak battery. Check to see how good it is even check the cables and see if there tight

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
ridealittle

the starter solenoid is probably stuck closed, there will be a large cable from the battery to the solenoid, then from the solenoid to the starter, either the solenoid is stuck or something is telling it to stay closed. the 2 small wires activate it. if you un-hook the 2 small wires and it still runs the starter it is the solenoid.
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!

Last edited by ridealittle; 11-18-2012 at 02:21 PM.
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
jlynch34

Thanks guys ill try tracing the wires and see what happens

Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
jlynch34

Update: reconnected neg cable to battery and all is fine, I hate intermittent troubles

Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
ridealittle

if it does it again. dis-connect the 2 small wires going to the solenoid. if it doesn't stop cranking you have a bad solenoid. if it does stop you have a problem somewhere else. the 2 small wires just put 12v to the solenoid to pull the contacts in.. it is just an electromagnet with 2 contacts inside. it just connects the large cable from battery to starter. the 2 small wires activate it. if the solenoid does stick it will crank even with the key off as long as the battery is conected. it won't start the motor with the key or kill off but it will crank it .
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
jlynch34

Turns out it was the starter relay, replaced it and running fine now, saved me a trip back to the dealer, thanks for the help guys:thumbup::thumbup:

Advertisement