Trunk is easy off but not easy on--normal??? - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

It really is cumbersome being so big and at least 40 lbs so some technique as mentioned above will really help make the job easier. I don't remove/install mine too often these days. While I really like having the extra space and speakers; the extra weight that's rear of the rear wheel makes for what feels like an extra 100 lbs or more and makes the bike feel unbalanced to me. I realize not everyone feels this so this is just my humble opinion.

Basically I leave mine off most the time but if I had a girlfriend or wife who rode with me often; I'd leave it on most the time. Sorry about going off topic but thought I'd throw that bit of opinion in the mix.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
BigRedXerII

I have had my XC for 2 years now.I don't take the trunk off a lot but have learned a few things to make it easier as well. I mostly remove it to give the bike a good cleaning and once in a great while to do a solo ride. I ride two-up 99% of the time.
It is very important to install front brackets first and making sure they are all the way forward.
Then I open my trunk and put two hands in the bottom middle and give a hard downward push.
Getting the front mounts is the tricky part and I am sure that having an extra set of hands would make it easier.

I wipe a little silicone on the rubber from time to time to keep them soft and help with install also.
'91 900RR - gone
'02 1800 VTX Retro - Looking for a new home
'11 Cross Country - new ride looking new for twisties

"Its about the Journey and the Friends we make."
BigRedXerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
Bujee1

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
It really is cumbersome being so big and at least 40 lbs so some technique as mentioned above will really help make the job easier. I don't remove/install mine too often these days. While I really like having the extra space and speakers; the extra weight that's rear of the rear wheel makes for what feels like an extra 100 lbs or more and makes the bike feel unbalanced to me. I realize not everyone feels this so this is just my humble opinion.

Basically I leave mine off most the time but if I had a girlfriend or wife who rode with me often; I'd leave it on most the time. Sorry about going off topic but thought I'd throw that bit of opinion in the mix.
Wife or girlfriend? You get to choose?
I usually put a towel on the fender so I can let the trunk rest there while I'm getting it in position.
I timed myself. It takes 8 minutes to swap the windshield and trunk. From tourer to bagger, easy peasy.
Bujee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
Hatchet

, much, much easier than a Harley.

Traded in a 2009 Harley Electraglide Classic
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Thanks to all of you for your input on this. I left the trunk on the last two days and sprayed the rear bracket with a touch of WD40.. Opened the trunk lid and pressed harder this time--popped into place. Im confident at this point that I dont have a problem--just a really tight fit....

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
JMcKeown

Send a message via Skype™ to JMcKeown

Taking the trunk off is not a problem, but when you put it back on you have to get the front forked bars lined up and the trick is the push down fairly hard till the back ones "POP" in. This is a tight fit so the truck does not rattle around when you are riding. First time you do it its a little unnerving as you would think it slips right into place and you do not want to force anything but again push down fairly hard till you feel it "POP" in

Jim
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
JMcKeown

Send a message via Skype™ to JMcKeown

I guess I should take this oppurtunity to talk about the trunk removal. I have seen people talk about removing the seat to get the plug that goes to the trunk in and out. When you remove the left hand side saddlebag you will see the bracket that holds the bag. On that bracket close to the front you will see a slot cut out the the bracket. When you remove the trunk plug it will not fit between the bracket and the rear fender. If you align the plug with the plug locking tab facing out that tab fill fit into that slot giving the plug enough room to now fit between the bracket and the rear fender.

Jim
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThomas View Post
Hello All,

I've had my 2012 XC for exactly 1 week. I ordered a trunk which, once I figured out the safety bolts, came off quite easily.

However, last night I tried to put it back on and I had to fight the thing for almost 10 minutes to get it to seat on both brackets so I could re-lock the quick release levers...

It's almost like the trunk is about 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch too long between the brackets because I couldn't get it to seat... Didn't expect this and am very disappointed as I'm almost afraid to take it off again since I don't ever want to go through that again.

Is this normal or do you think something's out of adjustment in reference to the brackets on the rear of my bike?

Thanks for any help you can give me....
UPDATE:

So.. I had the tech at my dealership look at this during my 500 mile service... He told me something that others may find helpful if your trunk is really tough to get on and off or if it becomes loose down the road. My sales guy didn't know about this either.

Vic supplies two different-sized sets of bushings for the front and rear bars (on the bag bracket) that the trunk snaps onto. One set of bushings are thinner than the other set to accommodate factory manufacturing tolerances. Not only did i have the larger diameter bushings, but they were also put on backwards with the flange sections towards the middle instead of to the inside and outside compounding my problem...

He replaced my bushings with the thinner ones and now my trunk snaps on and off easily. He also gave me a set of the larger ones in case things change down the road.

So...if your trunk is too hard or too easy to take on or off, there is an easy fix for this! Thanks again for all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
Old 11-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThomas View Post
UPDATE:

So.. I had the tech at my dealership look at this during my 500 mile service... He told me something that others may find helpful if your trunk is really tough to get on and off or if it becomes loose down the road. My sales guy didn't know about this either.

Vic supplies two different-sized sets of bushings for the front and rear bars (on the bag bracket) that the trunk snaps onto. One set of bushings are thinner than the other set to accommodate factory manufacturing tolerances. Not only did i have the larger diameter bushings, but they were also put on backwards with the flange sections towards the middle instead of to the inside and outside compounding my problem...

He replaced my bushings with the thinner ones and now my trunk snaps on and off easily. He also gave me a set of the larger ones in case things change down the road.

So...if your trunk is too hard or too easy to take on or off, there is an easy fix for this! Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks for the update, BThomas.

By the way, some of the dealer installed backrests or trunks will come without the plastic bushings all together. That's when you know your local dealer is really cutting corners (or forgot to read the instructions).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Thanks for the update, BThomas.

By the way, some of the dealer installed backrests or trunks will come without the plastic bushings all together. That's when you know your local dealer is really cutting corners (or forgot to read the instructions).
Wow! No kidding!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement