New To Victory Forum - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Forums > Rules and New Members Introductions

Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
zchiefn31

Default New To Victory Forum

Hello everyone. I am buying a new 2012 Cross Country Tour. How will I ad air to the shock to adjust the ride for the weight on the bike? Thanks for your help.
zchiefn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchiefn31 View Post
Hello everyone. I am buying a new 2012 Cross Country Tour. How will I ad air to the shock to adjust the ride for the weight on the bike? Thanks for your help.
Are you asking where or what process is used for best results?

I check mine when cold along with tires weekly. Set my air compressor for 70psi to ensure no overcharge, hookup my gauged air chuck and pump it up about 5psi above my desired pressure. Then disconnect and check once with good air gauge to bring it back down. I do it this way because you loose about 3 psi each time you hit it with the air gauge. If you want to buy a air pump then something that is a zero loss bike shock pump. Cheaper than factory by about 50% (I know there were other recommendations on the site here, I just cant find it at the moment).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-Air-Shoc...ht_2556wt_1028

Hope this answers your question. Remember to set you pressure for your weight and check it regulary so you have best performance and get max tire wear!

Safe riding,
Tim
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
ridealittle

i have one of the harley pumps. it works great for the vic. pricey about 40.00 but very well made.
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
T-man
Lifetime Premium

The air valve is behind the R side cover. A chart for correcting air pressure to load weight is under the R saddlebag lid. DO NOT use compressed air as you could easily damage the shock. It has a very small air capacity and fills quickly with a bicycle pump. Oh, and welcome to the site.
2001 TTR-125 Yamaha
1991 Honda NT650 Hawk (crashed,repaired,sold)
1982 GPZ 550 Kawasaki (sold)
1980 GS 750E Suzuki (crashed,repaired,sold)
1972 Schwinn Paperboy (stolen)
Tricycle 1960
Born 1957
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-man View Post
...DO NOT use compressed air as you could easily damage the shock. It has a very small air capacity and fills quickly with a bicycle pump. Oh, and welcome to the site.
Well I deffinately dont want any info I post to be misunderstood so maybe I should have expanded just to make sure no one thought I meant hook 120psi compressor to the the shock and punch it.

I adjust my regulator down line of my compressor to 70psi which has a 25' hose on it. Using a trigger controled tire inflator assembly with a pressure gauge on it as well as a bleed valve, I gently inflate to 3-5 psi above my desired pressure then double check with GOOD tire gauge. I do this evey week when checking my tires (and bike for the weeks preride)to ensure best performance of suspension and tires.

Hope this clarify's so like T-man notes, no over inflation occurs.

Safe ridin,
Tim
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va

Last edited by Tims_04V92TC; 11-21-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
webbiker

I just bought my XC and my air pump. Got the pump at Amazon (click link below)...

Amazon Amazon

Good price and good quality. As mentioned previously, stay away from compressed air as it will blow out your shock if not very careful.

Last edited by webbiker; 11-21-2012 at 12:41 PM.
webbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
DakotaRider

Garage

Welcome from South Dakota. The XCT is a great bike. Hope you enjoy riding yours as much as I do mine.

Current Bike:
2012 Victory - Pearl White XCT - Dutchess
Rapid City, SD
Previous Bikes:
02 Goldwing - Stream Silver Metallic GL-1800
07 Goldwing - Dark Orange Metallic GL-1800
DakotaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
GatorJoe
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Welcome from North FL .. 1700 miles on my 2012 XC now and loving it .. Used my old hand pump had for my 09 Ultra traded in on the XC and works fine ..
Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
zchiefn31

Thanks everyone for the welcome to the forum and the information/advice on the air shock. My dealer gave me an overview of the bike yesterday when I signed the papers. I'll get the full introduction tomorrow when the bike is delivered. Don't think I'll get much sleep tonight. Will post tomorrow after my first ride. Happy Thanksgiving.
zchiefn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_04V92TC View Post
Are you asking where or what process is used for best results?

I check mine when cold along with tires weekly. Set my air compressor for 70psi to ensure no overcharge, hookup my gauged air chuck and pump it up about 5psi above my desired pressure. Then disconnect and check once with good air gauge to bring it back down. I do it this way because you loose about 3 psi each time you hit it with the air gauge. If you want to buy a air pump then something that is a zero loss bike shock pump. Cheaper than factory by about 50% (I know there were other recommendations on the site here, I just cant find it at the moment).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-Air-Shoc...ht_2556wt_1028

Hope this answers your question. Remember to set you pressure for your weight and check it regulary so you have best performance and get max tire wear!

Safe riding,
Tim
I do the same as you... Very good directions. Didnt know about zero loss pumps... Thanks; congrats and good luck sleeping tonight to the newbee!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement