running really rich - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
hammer316

Default running really rich

Hi was hoping i can get some direction on what might be the problem.Both spark plugs are dry black!!!!I am talking really black!!!Now this is my first Fuel injected bike but from my carb days black means rich.Some guys are saying replace your throttle body adapter and i dont really understand that to me if you have a cracked tb adapter you would be taking in air and i would think that would be a lean condition?the bike is a 2007 hammer shot gun pipes and stag1 download i assume as i bought used.Had bad idle and cleaned TB which didnt even look bad to me but fixed the idle problem but still cant figure out why the plugs are so black.Any ideas would be great
hammer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Vic's run really rich while they warm up. If the bike is running normally; I wouldn't worry about since you already cleaned the TB's.

If you want to play it on the safe side you could always carry some plugs and plug wrench with you until you have confidence in the bike.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
hammer316

Bike is running ok hard to start but i did a load test on the bat and i need a new one.Still plugs that black are goining to Foul I have always had a carb bike and could jet it no problem i know guys say vic run rich but that isnt right to me.a good running motor should be light brown or tan.Should be the same weather its a carburated bike of FI bike am i wrong?Bikes put away now but going to look into in the spring.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
visionjohnny

what are you getting for mileage
Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
hammer316

i am getting about 28-30 mpg
Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer316 View Post
Hi was hoping i can get some direction on what might be the problem.Both spark plugs are dry black!!!!I am talking really black!!!Now this is my first Fuel injected bike but from my carb days black means rich.Some guys are saying replace your throttle body adapter and i dont really understand that to me if you have a cracked tb adapter you would be taking in air and i would think that would be a lean condition?the bike is a 2007 hammer shot gun pipes and stag1 download i assume as i bought used.Had bad idle and cleaned TB which didnt even look bad to me but fixed the idle problem but still cant figure out why the plugs are so black.Any ideas would be great
Yes, change battery, get a pair of new spark plugs, and add SeaFoam to your fuel. You never know what the previous owner ran on it - could have been high octane gas, and riding it like a granny, which causes excessive carbon buildup. Change the basics as they have to be changed anyway, put the right gas in the bike, and ride it the way it was meant to be ridden. Then check plugs, and report back.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
dahc

crossroads are you saying not to run high octane?i usually run 93 from mobil 1.i have heard others say not to run high octane.vic says too.can you explain why you do that.
2012 Victory Zach Ness Edition #30

Conquest Customs Ground Pounders,Lloyd's Torque Tubes,VFC-3 Fuel Controller and Pro One Oil Cooler
dahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
highpriority

lower octane makes more power.
highpriority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriority View Post
lower octane makes more power.
Not exactly. It just depends on how the bike is tuned.

With Vic's there is no adjustment of the timing. Well, there is now thanks to Lloydz, but the bike is tuned to run on premium. Also, with a Power Commander 5; there is some ability to advance and retard the timing.

I tried running lower octane just like some of our more knowledgeable Vic mechanics talked about and then all I found was I lost power and sometimes the motor would ping. Both of these are solid indications that this is probably not the best thing for the Vic motors.

Do what you want of course; but I am going to stick with premium gas.

As the saying goes; "your mileage may vary".
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Not exactly. It just depends on how the bike is tuned.

With Vic's there is no adjustment of the timing. Well, there is now thanks to Lloydz, but the bike is tuned to run on premium. Also, with a Power Commander 5; there is some ability to advance and retard the timing.

I tried running lower octane just like some of our more knowledgeable Vic mechanics talked about and then all I found was I lost power and sometimes the motor would ping. Both of these are solid indications that this is probably not the best thing for the Vic motors.

Do what you want of course; but I am going to stick with premium gas.

As the saying goes; "your mileage may vary".
Yes Bbob, but you ride in Arizona - you need 91 octane.

I have follwed KevinX's advice, and I run 89 octane when it's 75-95F (basically summertime for me), and 87 octane when temperatues are consistently below 75F (basically wintertime for me). No pinging, no carbon buildup.

---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement