running really rich - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Yes Bbob, but you ride in Arizona - you need 91 octane.

I have follwed KevinX's advice, and I run 89 octane when it's 75-95F (basically summertime for me), and 87 octane when temperatues are consistently below 75F (basically wintertime for me). No pinging, no carbon buildup.
I tried it in the lower temps like now when it's 70-85 and still no go for mine BUT... I have the Lloydz cams in it so that might be the difference on why it needs the higher octane. I keep forgetting about that.

Looking forward to see if the new Lloydz air filter will make a difference I can feel with the butt dyno.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
Marius

If you are running abnormally rich that downloaded tune could be way wrong for your bike.

Another possibility is one of the sensors not working right. But if that was the case, you probably would get a check engine light.
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
hammer316

Well not really sure what download is on the bike i assume stage1 but dont know because bought the bike used.The bike is put away for the winter will have to deal with in the spring.
hammer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Gunslinger
Lifetime Premium

You need to take it to the dealer and have them do a TPS reset and calibration. You are indeed running overly rich. Some of the answers that were previously posted do not apply to your year of bike, given that it's open loop fuel injected and not closed loop fuel injected. The Power Commander 5 only works on 08 and newer closed loop FI bikes. The older (07-) open loop bikes have a throttle position sensor that the dealers software program (called Digital Wrench) can adjust. It has to be done properly by a good tech. While they are hooked up, they can also tell you exactly what base map you are running too.

Just as an aside, are you sure you don't have an auxiliary "Dobeck" style fuel controller attached, such as a Ness Bigshot, Lloydz VFC 2 or 3, or something similar? If so, you can easily dial those back yourself, as no doubt, if one is there, it's undoubtedly supplementing unnecessary fuel.

If it's there, chances are it would either be mounted under the seat, or behind the left or ride plastic side covers.

Anyway, just a thought on the fuel controller.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)

Last edited by Gunslinger; 11-26-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
hammer316

Thanks for the info.I know there is no fuel controller on the bike.Not much i can now as the bikes put away for the winter will deal with it in the spring
hammer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
vindex1963
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
You need to take it to the dealer and have them do a TPS reset and calibration. You are indeed running overly rich.
Agreed.

If the throttle position sensor needs to be reset nothing you do will help. Mine ran like a new bike after it was reset and passed emissions where it failed before and my MPG went up also.
Advertisement