Jackpot handling - Page 5 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Jackpot Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #41
Speedblue

Default heavy

Yes this is suppose to be about tires. I never got to try the tires on the V-rod. Sat on the V-rod a few years ago at a bike show. I did really like the fact the pegs were in the mid-mount position,that did feel good for my short legs. Took the thing off the side stand. The bike fits the Harley HOG theme. That is one heavy feeling bike. Bike seemed very top heavy. Never took a test ride after that. Even though the x-bikes are not light in weight they are extremely well balance. I actually wanted to like that V-rod,but the way it is balanced it feels like it needs to loose about 100-lbs. to me. ---Back to tires, I am going to try the Avons on my XR when it is time.
Speedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #42
lunaticrider

Garage

The jackpot steering geometry is the issue more than the 250 rear tire that everyone is putting so much consideration into. Think about it - Rake + tall skinny front tire and add in the 250 rear = straight line bike. The bike wasn't designed to handle with that formula, it's designed to look good going straight...
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #43
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticrider View Post
The jackpot steering geometry is the issue more than the 250 rear tire that everyone is putting so much consideration into. Think about it - Rake + tall skinny front tire and add in the 250 rear = straight line bike. The bike wasn't designed to handle with that formula, it's designed to look good going straight...
Jackpot has one tenth of an inch (.1) more rake and half an inch (.5) less trail than my Kingpin, which handles pretty damned well. Might want to re-think your theory.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.

Last edited by half_crazy; 11-25-2012 at 02:49 PM.
half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #44
busajack

Garage

Heres Metz. for ya. Left 08 Raider, right 09 Raider hard to see but Metz. produced thousands of backwards treads for 08 Raiders and wouldn't even replace them after safety complaints. Notice the the super bikes busas, 14s, and the like never use the over priced Metzs. And what an as*ho*l Co. to deal with.
Had the Pres. of American Metz. cussing at me.
And their made off shore now not in Germamy. You don't know what you'll get.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #45
lunaticrider

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
Jackpot has one tenth of an inch (.1) more rake and half an inch (.5) less trail than my Kingpin, which handles pretty damned well. Might want to re-think your theory.

I'm looking at the whole combination the Kingpin has a 18" 130/70 front tire opposed the the 21" 90/90 jackpot.
My theory + the 250 rear tire, it's just not made to handle. With all that said some people will be able to ride the bike through twisties and not have any issues and maneuver it quite nicely and some will think it's a handful, that's where riding styles and experience play a huge factor. On my hammer other than the ground clearance I really don't mind the handling, i just drag hard parts through every turn...
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #46
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
My theory + the 250 rear tire, it's just not made to handle.
Not with those wheels it's not. But what's the problem? If you want a show bike, buy a show bike and enjoy it. If you want a bike that is designed to ride long and hard, there are plenty of those available too, unfortunately, Victory is just making fewer of them...
Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #47
Bigskyrider

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Silly tire sizes suck. The Dunlop E3s work marvelously on bikes with standard tire sizes.

And to the guy who thinks X bikes are girlie because they handle well compared to his bike with the show bike wheels, I'd suggest he just let about 25 lbs of air out if his wife's tires. That should make him happy as a hog in slop as her bike will handle like crap too!

Busa makes a good point about the Raiders working well with their big tire, but I'd bet they'd be a lot more responsive with a 180 on the back too. The Raider also has a wider front tire (bigger contact patch) that should give it more bite so that the rear can't push it around so easily.
Jeezzz touchy arent we. Why would I let air out of a tire.... If the Cross Country is for you then more power to ya Bro... The Cross County handles very nice, thats why my wife rides it...
Bigskyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #48
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I'm looking at the whole combination the Kingpin has a 18" 130/70 front tire opposed the the 21" 90/90 jackpot.
But you said it was the steering geometry that was the issue...

Quote:
The jackpot steering geometry is the issue more than the 250 rear tire that everyone is putting so much consideration into.
So which is it?

When you lean a bike over with a wide tire, the contact patch gets farther away from the centerline of the bike the farther you lean. The bike just wants to center up, that's why the steering effort is greater (just like with a freakin' car tire, except with the car tire it happens instantly not gradually).

If the tires are a reasonable width the contact patch of the tires stays close to the centerline of the bike and the bike is neutral in corners. Traction is a function of pressure/weight per square inch of the contact patch and the rubber compound (call it friction). A wider tire can have LESS friction.

16" tires have a higher profile/sidewall and more flex to the carcas and cruiser sizes offer few radial choices... where 18" tires are low profile and stiffer with more choices in radials.

Personally, I don't think handling suffers until the rear tire exceeds 200mm wide, or until Metzelers are mounted, whichever comes first. LOL
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #49
Kingpin50
Premium Member

I can tell you personally that a stock Kingpin handles alot better than a Jackpot. I've owned both this season. However, after a short amount of ride time, I can't even tell my Jackpot has a fat tire. I haven't been on my bike in 2 weeks and rode it yesterday without noticing any extra steering effort. . I notice more issues with the front feeling a little squirly at speed. I haven't read through all the replies to this post. So, if I'm suggesting ideas already discussed I'm sorry. I would check your wheel alignment with a tape measure between the swingarm bolt and rear axle on both sides to make sure the alignment marks are correct on the swingarm. What width handlebars are you running? Stock bars or something narrower? I hope you can figure it out.
Kingpin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #50
Azdave

Never had an issue with Screaming Eagle exhaust. Bike handled great but never felt like I had the bike I wanted. Nice in AZ with the liquid cool and fan
2006 Jackpot sold
2006 Vrod Screaming Eagle (sold)
1972 Kawasaki 1000
Azdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement