How to improve the handling on a Hammer? Any suggestions?? Thx - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Hammer Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
phatjoe

Default How to improve the handling on a Hammer? Any suggestions?? Thx

Hello,

I sold my suzuki m109r because I didn't like the handling of the bike. I attribute a lot to the size of the rear tire. I started looking at other bikes, BUT I came across a really good deal on a 2010 Hammer... I may give a large tire bike another go...

I test rode one today and it did feel a little better than the m109r in corners. If I wanted to further improve the handling, any recommendations?

THANKS
phatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Speedblue

Keep that rear tire aired up to max psi. --- Get a rear wheel off of a standard Vegas, or buy an aftermarket wheel with a smaller width rim. Just a couple of ideas.
Speedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblue View Post
Keep that rear tire aired up to max psi. --- Get a rear wheel off of a standard Vegas, or buy an aftermarket wheel with a smaller width rim. Just a couple of ideas.
Keeping the tire air up high will help but putting a thinner rim and tire on it would just make it look silly with the back fender being wide and the tire being too thin for it in my opinion.

It's just the nature of wide tire bikes. The perfect width is 180. After that the handling starts to degrade. The 250 tire isn't bad though. When it starts to get worn in the middle is when the handling really suffers. The flat spot is almost like running a flat car tire.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Replace the rear shock with a Penske, put some Amsoil 'Shock Therapy' fork fluid in it.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Mattbastard

Switching to a 180 sized rim will only bring the width in 1.25" on each side.

I've actually been mulling this exact mod over. I already put on the progressive shock, which raised the back end up a little, but I still want my turn in to be a little more comfortable.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
visionjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatjoe View Post
Hello,

I sold my suzuki m109r because I didn't like the handling of the bike. I attribute a lot to the size of the rear tire. I started looking at other bikes, BUT I came across a really good deal on a 2010 Hammer... I may give a large tire bike another go...

I test rode one today and it did feel a little better than the m109r in corners. If I wanted to further improve the handling, any recommendations?

THANKS
Your not being fair to us. What do you want for handling? You want a ninja handling with a chopper look?

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Hello,

THANKS
Put the Boardwalk's beach bars on it. They are nearly long enough to lever the earth. This should make the effort to turn it somewhat less intense.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
rwbrown

Quote:
Hello,

THANKS
The first time I rode on my buddy's Hammer, I was astounded at the amount of countersteer required to move into a turn. But I loved how it felt cruising and ultimately that's what led me to purchase one. No kidding, 2nd or 3rd ride into the new bike, I no longer thought about it. And I don't have trouble switching between it and the other two bikes I own (Suzuki SV650 and Honda CRF250L). Maybe it's just an "acquired taste" for the handling. Personally, I love it!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
The Wolf

I just picked mine back up after getting Metzelers put on today. I'm blown away with the ease now of leaning into a corner compared to the original Dunlops. I know guys have talked about how much the handling improves going to this 260, and now I know exactly why!

I also had them pull the lowering link off this bike came with and put a stock size back on which improved the handling as well.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
8BallHammer

Garage

I have never owned a street bike before I bought my 2012 Hammer 8 Ball. I would probably kill myself taking corners on a "narrow" tire bike. Does the Hammer REALLY handle that bad??? It just depends on what you are accustomed to.For the looks it gives, I'll give my "fat ass" all the leverage I can to turn it.
Big City Thunder Thunder Monsters
Controls 2" forward
Blacked out turn signals
De-badged

2013 AF Green CC
Mostly stock

If they had an ass, they would be pants
8BallHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement