Air Suspension on XR - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
TechnoGeek

Question Air Suspension on XR

I have an 2012 XR.
Having an issue where the Air Suspension looses air.
How much leaking is "normal" or "acceptable"
My warranty expires in a short time and now it just too darn cold to travel over 100 Miles to have the dealer look at it and maybe tell me some lose is OK.
So how much leakage is ok?
None?
less than 5 lbs in a month?
less than 10 lbs in a month?
TechnoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
TonyChip78

Garage

I rarely lose air from the air shock or the rear wheel. The front wheel is another story. At least it's the easiest to access.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Blueline

How much air are you losing? If it's 10lbs in a month, you might have to make that cold trip to the dealer for warranty. There were some bad shocks mostly in the 2011 bikes. The shock shouldn't lose any air.
116 Big Bore
"The Millinium Falcon"
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
How much air are you losing? If it's 10lbs in a month, you might have to make that cold trip to the dealer for warranty. There were some bad shocks mostly in the 2011 bikes. The shock shouldn't lose any air.
Funny you should say that about the 11's. My shock didn't lose much air until I had a passenger. Then it lost air really fast and put me and her on the stops.

Dealer replaced it and so far so good but it still loses air over time. I've learn to feel when it does so then I break out my trusty Fox pump and pump it up.

After pulling the faulty air shock the tech I looked at it and could not see anything wrong. I was kinda expecting to see a knick or some kind of sign of damage but neither of us could see any reason why it was bad.

By the way, if you have a 2012, you have a one year warranty without any copay but you still have at least 2 more years of warranty with the $50 copay.

Have you considered calling your dealer and asking them if you could bring it in when it warms up again since the riding season is over where you are and honor a warranty claim for the first year? Yeah. They probably could not do that without approval from the mother ship.

Of course there is the option of renting or borrowing a trailer to get the bike to the shop. More effort but definitely a warmer option.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
TNXR

My 2011 has stayed at 40 pounds where I originally had the dealer set it and I mainly ride 2-up till the weather gets below 70 degrees. I've only had mine a couple of months and 1000 miles but hopefully I won't lose any air when it gets older.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Buster

I have a 08 Vision, my shock started leaking on a 2000 mile ride. I did a check and it lost a lot of air. Called the dealer and said my air shock is bad and loses 10 lbs of air in a few days. Had the shock replaced and I now check if 2,3, maybe 4 times a season. I run my shock at 50lbs, I do a lot of 2 up riding, and I'm to lazy to change air preasure all the time. I will now lose about 2 to 3lbs each time I check it. I think I lose that much because of the low volume in the shock each time I check it. I live in Michigan so riding is from April to November.

So to answer your question, have it replaced, it will only get worse as time goes on. If I lost 5 to10lbs in a week or so I would complane.

Buster
Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
sparkyo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGeek View Post
I have an 2012 XR.
Having an issue where the Air Suspension looses air.
How much leaking is "normal" or "acceptable"
My warranty expires in a short time and now it just too darn cold to travel over 100 Miles to have the dealer look at it and maybe tell me some lose is OK.
So how much leakage is ok?
None?
less than 5 lbs in a month?
less than 10 lbs in a month?
go get it repaired. mine holds air and no leaks (knocking on wood!)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
TechnoGeek

Default responce

I will call dealer tomorrow and see what my options are.
they will probably want to keep it to check pressure at a later time so that means two trips.
Well its got to be better that worrying about leaking.
Guess I will start searching for a trailer to borrow.
TechnoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
gcubed

ugh, i didn't know it was an issue on 11s. My rear shock definitely loses air over time, but time as some a month, not actually during a ride. I've taken 2-3k mile rides and the air pressure was the same start to finish fully loaded with passenger and luggage. Too late for me to worry about now i guess, at least it holds during a ride
Advertisement