I mourn for my country - Page 51 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Rider's Lounge > Victory Forums Lounge

Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #501
ALStensby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Heard on the news this morning that the ACA is going to charge smokers up to 50% more in premiums for their health care.

Again, I no longer smoke and don't even like to be around it anymore although I frequently am, but smokers already pay a disproportionate amount in taxes and tend to be lower income people. This just adds insult to injury.

There is proof on both sides of the issue on whether or not smoking costs more in health care costs. Since smokers tend to die earlier they don't rack up as many costs as those who live longer but they tend to get sick more often so they cost more throughout their lives.

What do you guys think about this extra cost for smokers getting obamacare? Assuming the health care premiums will be, say, $1200 a year or $100 a month as a low estimate; that would make it $1800 a year or $150 a month for smokers.

What I don't know is how the gov going to know either way? What prevents someone from just saying they don't smoke so they can get the lower rate?
Agreed. I can't stand smoking, but it is what it is. I was OK with the push back they got some time ago because of the blatant lies to push their product. But in this day and age, if you don't know know it's bad for you, then it's on you and not the company. Allowing encroachment in this area simply opens up too many other doors. Not to mention the irony of the CiC being a smoker. lol If they allow a surcharge there, what's next? Bacon eaters? Motorcyclist? This may seem a bit far fetched, but there actually are some insurances that won't cover medical on motorcycle accidents (typically prop/cas but cars have med built in).

Last edited by ALStensby; 11-25-2012 at 03:15 PM.
ALStensby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #502
Azdave

Lance you add so little when you speculate. Remember your guy Boehner said he got 98% of what he wanted. If the NHL players got 98% of what they wanted there would be a hockey season. If Hostess employees got98% of what they wanted you have a Twinkie today
2006 Jackpot sold
2006 Vrod Screaming Eagle (sold)
1972 Kawasaki 1000
Azdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #503
ALStensby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azdave View Post
Lance you add so little when you speculate. Remember your guy Boehner said he got 98% of what he wanted. If the NHL players got 98% of what they wanted there would be a hockey season. If Hostess employees got98% of what they wanted you have a Twinkie today
Don't bring up Twinkies...I'm still mourning. lol

Last edited by ALStensby; 11-26-2012 at 09:03 AM.
ALStensby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #504
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

There's no hockey season this year? I didn't hear about that. Bummer for the hockey fans for sure.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #505
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Here is another issue that should be of great concern to everyone. Islamic Encroachment.
What's the difference between this and a MC club, a country club, or a fraternity? Aren't they all making their own rules (governing) for their members? If a member of such an organization breaks US law, are they given dispensation because they are members of a private club?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #506
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
There's no hockey season this year? I didn't hear about that. Bummer for the hockey fans for sure.
Sure there is, just no NHL. Plenty of great hockey for reasonable prices at lower level leagues.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #507
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
A consumption tax would hurt the poor the most, except that the plan is to give the poor a tax credit to get that money back,
One could make consumption taxes progressive too. And yes, the idea is to give low income people a credit for some level of spending.

Quote:
so it'll just stick it to the middle class, nice plan.
That's just it, with a consumption tax, only YOU are sticking anything to YOURself as YOU control YOUR consumption and thereby YOUR level of taxation.

You want people to have incentive to save to provide for their future, there you go. Besides, wouldn't it be nice to people engaged in our black market economy kick in a little to the kitty too?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #508
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
P.S.
It's wonderful to hear all you great thinkers and learned economists lay out Obama's brilliance or stupidity..
Mostly laying out how you are being played by wealthy corporate interests. Here is another prime example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2185585.html
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #509
Azdave

McCain states he could change his mind on Rice. He thinks its Condi Rice. Why won't this clown retire??? One of the worst senators in the US. Has done nothing for years

Lindsey Graham now says he would consider higher taxes. Another guy that needs to leave
2006 Jackpot sold
2006 Vrod Screaming Eagle (sold)
1972 Kawasaki 1000
Azdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #510
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Wow! Why is it a Russian mag gets it and our own MSM doesn't? Answer: The MSM is complicit.

Check out this really great and very true opinion piece in Pravda.

Obama's Soviet Mistake
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement