the dragon - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
rainman123

Default the dragon

friday me and my ole lady went for a ride stop in sweetwater for gas and after we left my bike started running like the chitty chitty bang bang it wouldnt idol and kept dying thought was going to have to get a trailer to haul it back home but wasnt going to do that if i could help it told her i would try to ride it back home well after we got out of town i opened it up and went a couple mile then pulled into another parking lot was running fine now stb told me when i opened it up a puff of black smoke came out of the pipes it wasnt bad gas cause we both fillled up from the same pump any way told her we was gonna go ahead with our ride so back to through sweetwater and headed to sweetwater valley farms to get some cheese and they got bout 40 different kind of cheese from there we proceeded to the dragon very vfew riders there and of coarse 1 stupied idiot passing in a curve and all the stores thru there are closed till march we went into robbinsonville thru murphy nc then thru coker creek and tellico tn and back home and the rest of the trip the bike ran fine
took it to the dealer saturday to have it checked out couldnt find anything wrong but they went ahead and changed plugs its still running fine and all in all it was still a good ride
98 t-bird traded for rocket
73 sportster sold
72 honda 350 long gone
rainman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
TNXR

Glad to hear all is now good with your XR. I have been on those roads hundreds if not thousands of times in a cager and a dozen times or so on a motorcycle. I don't care for the dragon much anymore as far as riding it but I do like hanging out at the store on the NC side and watch the different kinds of bikes that come and go.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
rainman123

To me the dragon is over rated better roads like the skyway or devil triangle
98 t-bird traded for rocket
73 sportster sold
72 honda 350 long gone
rainman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman123 View Post
To me the dragon is over rated better roads like the skyway or devil triangle
Depends what you're looking for. I've ridden quite a few good roads all over the planet, but when it comes to my favorite technical road, the Dragon is still it. It just has so much variety all so densely packed into so few miles and no cross roads or residential driveways. And so many of the corners have such great visibility. And with so many corners so close together, one can have a lot of fun without going ridiculously fast.

For someone who enjoys technical sporty riding, it just doesn't get any better IMO. Best done on off days and off hours to avoid cops, traffic, slow pokes, and amateurs still learning to maintain their lane.

For most cruiser riders, I agree that the Skyway is a much better road as it's far more scenic and once you've got one corner down on it you've got them all down. It's actually a little too fast of a road for sport biking IMO as one could easily lose their life getting too carried away there. Seen it happen a couple times there. Not good.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
ridealittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Depends what you're looking for. I've ridden quite a few good roads all over the planet, but when it comes to my favorite technical road, the Dragon is still it. It just has so much variety all so densely packed into so few miles and no cross roads or residential driveways. And so many of the corners have such great visibility. And with so many corners so close together, one can have a lot of fun without going ridiculously fast.

For someone who enjoys technical sporty riding, it just doesn't get any better IMO. Best done on off days and off hours to avoid cops, traffic, slow pokes, and amateurs still learning to maintain their lane.

For most cruiser riders, I agree that the Skyway is a much better road as it's far more scenic and once you've got one corner down on it you've got them all down. It's actually a little too fast of a road for sport biking IMO as one could easily lose their life getting too carried away there. Seen it happen a couple times there. Not good.
i haven't checked the stats, but living near the dragon i hear of a lot of fatalities there. just from the news i think probably a lot more deaths on the dragon than any other road around here. i think some summers its close to 1 a month.
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
roadrunnerdavid

I've only ridden the dragon once, and I guess it's because of its reputation and all the hype, but I was kind of disappointed, there was definitely a big "that's it?" when I passed the dam on the Tennessee side...I enjoyed it, but if it had been anymore crowded, I probably wouldn't have...
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman123 View Post
friday me and my ole lady went for a ride stop in sweetwater for gas and after we left my bike started running like the chitty chitty bang bang it wouldnt idol and kept dying thought was going to have to get a trailer to haul it back home
Check your battery terminals that they're tight. loose plays heck with ignition system and I've heard it don't take much.
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridealittle View Post
i haven't checked the stats, but living near the dragon i hear of a lot of fatalities there. just from the news i think probably a lot more deaths on the dragon than any other road around here. i think some summers its close to 1 a month.
Could be. It gets awfully crowded and a lot of people ride very poorly. Meeting someone head on is a good way to eat it.

From my perspective it seems safer. I don't tend to ride there when it's crowded and if I do go thru during such times it's at a far reduced pace. When I think of a sporting wreck there I think of lowsiding into the weeds. Again the speeds generally aren't very high and there seems to be pretty good run off in most areas. You try to get those lean angles on Cherohala and lose grip, you'll end up following the geese down to a valley pond 6000 feet below the direct way.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunnerdavid View Post
I've only ridden the dragon once, and I guess it's because of its reputation and all the hype, but I was kind of disappointed, there was definitely a big "that's it?" when I passed the dam on the Tennessee side...I enjoyed it, but if it had been anymore crowded, I probably wouldn't have...
Working for a MC mag, you probably get to ride a lot of roads. Do you have a technical road you prefer?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
TNXR

I am on the dragon quite a bit in my work truck through out the year and you won't beleive the idiots on that road. I don't think I have ever been on it in a cager when a motorcycle didn't pass me on the solid lines and it is not always sport bikes either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement