Acessory Outlets and amps XC - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 08-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
MTVic

Default Acessory Outlets and amps XC

On my new Tour the owners manual says:
Radio - 25 amp fuse
Accessory (under right side cover) 20 amp
12 - Volt Storage Compartment Outlet (under electrical cover above battery) 10 amp

What????

The bike has 3 outlets. OK, just guessing here, but I'll bet they are saying the storage compartment above battery is the lower fairing on left where ipod connector is. - 10amp - makes sense for small items, ipod, phones....

...under right side storage compartment... I'll guess actually feeds the Tour pack ( wouldn't that be left? Is it facing bike's headlight or as you sit on it?)

... so, and follow me here please, is the Outlet in the fairing coming off the 25 amp... or do you think it is wired with the 10 amp in the lower?

Reason I ask is I use a heated vest for winter, use to wire straight in to battery, but that was when the battery was under the seat. I can plug it into the accessory outlet, and want to be sure not to overload the outlet.

Anyone know the schematics on this and is it safe to use the fairing outlet, even with all the electronics, radio, and possible GPS?

Would it be better to tap into the accessory side cover and would that affect warranty?

Thanks.
MTVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
gregbenner

Mike, I am definitely not an electrician, but have had outlets for heated gear installed on many of my bikes, including my XC.

Heated gear draws a lot of amps.Plus, even though I have heated grips, I have heted gloves for when it is really cold and I will be riding all day (also have heated pants). If you haven't already, check the power requirements of the gear you use.

I have always been told to use a relay, which is what we did on my XC. Essentially direct to battery, but turns off with the key. We added a new power socket in the left sidecase (left when sitting on bike) and added a rheostadt on the "cheese" so I can easily adjust the heat while riding. The power cord itself just goes down from the jacket maybe 8" to the plug (on my heated gear, the power cords are on the left).

Just a thought.
2007 Harley Dyna
1976 BMW R75/5
1971 BSA Lightning
1947 Harley 45
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
drummer12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
We added a new power socket in the left sidecase (left when sitting on bike) and added a rheostadt on the "cheese" so I can easily adjust the heat while riding. The power cord itself just goes down from the jacket maybe 8" to the plug (on my heated gear, the power cords are on the left).

Just a thought.
Greg,

Found this thread while searching for electrical information.

Do you have any pictures of your rheostat installed on your cheese wedge?

I have been looking at this http://www.warmnsafe.com/single-mounted-heat-troller/ but couldn't come up with a good mounting spot. Cheese wedge may work.

Thanks,

Kyle
drummer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
visionjohnny

Go to the right place http://gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.php

read how to http://gerbing.com/Technology/powerSource.html

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
drummer12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
VJ,

Thanks for the response however I use Warm & Safe (the link was provided in my post) and the Gerbing products won't work.
drummer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Bikendad

Left side of a vehicle is Always your left as you sit in or on it as in the drivers side of a car (atleast in the USA).
Bikendad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
wspollack

I use a TourMaster heated liner (although not as much as on previous bikes -- those 1,731 CCs put out a lot of heat on their own). That liner, on max setting, takes c. 7 amps. The dash cigarette-lighter-style socket has no problem dealing with that. Since before purchasing my XCT, I already had a coiled cord for the liner (coax on the liner side, Powerlet male on the other end), I bought this for the XCT: http://www.powerlet.com/product/ciga...socket-cable/3 . I plug my coil cord into that extension, drape it over the handlebar by the clutch-side controls, and plug that into the dash. Works fine, no problems blowing fuses. (I plan to add a Powerlet through the plastic of the left side-cover, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.)

The official specs -- http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en...specifications -- say that the XCT has "48 amps max output." Unfortunately, there's no mention of how much is already in use by the base bike. It also doesn't show an RPM vs. alternator chart. For instance, my Suzuki 650 Burgman scooter could handle my heated vest/liner and gloves just fine... except at idle, when my voltmeter would drop precipitously. So, I changed out the two 35-watt halogen bulbs in my Motolights to 5-watt LEDs, and that pretty much fixed the problem.

The only way to really tell whether you're running a deficit is to use an amp meter. Barring that, the Vics seem to have plenty of juice to spare to run heated gear, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement