How much is too much -- electrical thread??? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Default How much is too much -- electrical thread???

So, I have a 2012 XC with a Vic heated seat, Vic grip heaters, a Kury LED license plate light and a RF Amp with speaker upgrade (5.25 Polks). Additionally I have a trunk that goes on sometimes with it's own speakers pulling from the amp.

I'd like to add HID lights (right away) and possibly even running lights down the road (next year).

My question is how many electrical accessories will my system handle? Am I close to overloading it?

I don't know how to figure this out and have searched as best I can but can't come up with a thread that addresses it. A friend of mine said that the XC has a "bad ass" alternator and that I shouldn't worry about it.

What do you think?

Thanks!!!
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Goatlocker95

According to Total Motorcycle Cross Country review the charging system puts out 48 amps which is around 576-624 watts. Pretty respectable for a motorcycle charging system. The same site states the Harley Ultra Classic puts out just slightly more at 50 amps (585W @ 13V, 2000 RPM, 650W max power @13V)

My guess (and yes it is a guess) is that you don't have anything to worry about. However, you could get a battery meter so you can monitor your charging system.

If the battery meter shows 12 volts then you are about at the max draw on your system. If it shows more then you have additional power available. If it shows less then you are starting to draw more power than you charging system can handle and the battery is being drained.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatlocker95 View Post
According to Total Motorcycle Cross Country review the charging system puts out 48 amps which is around 576-624 watts. Pretty respectable for a motorcycle charging system. The same site states the Harley Ultra Classic puts out just slightly more at 50 amps (585W @ 13V, 2000 RPM, 650W max power @13V)

My guess (and yes it is a guess) is that you don't have anything to worry about. However, you could get a battery meter so you can monitor your charging system.

If the battery meter shows 12 volts then you are about at the max draw on your system. If it shows more then you have additional power available. If it shows less then you are starting to draw more power than you charging system can handle and the battery is being drained.
Thanks a lot for the help! Is my stock ammeter different than the battery meter you showed me here? The one I have seems to always be at about 14 and I haven't noticed that it goes lower when I turn on my heaters and such so I'm probably fine...

Again, thanks!
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThomas View Post
...I'd like to add HID lights (right away) and possibly even running lights down the road (next year)....
The HIDs use less current than the stock halogens, so you won't be using more but rather you will be saving some energy there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
BThomas
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
The HIDs use less current than the stock halogens, so you won't be using more but rather you will be saving some energy there.
Very cool! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement