My Vic is lifeless...:-( - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory V92C

Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
motor_head

Default My Vic is lifeless...:-(

I'm hoping someone else has experienced this and has a miraculous cure.
I was putting a new battery on my 2000 V92c and got ready to fire her up.....nothing. I checked the connections and polarity and all was good. I went to the fuse panel and discovered a blown FLASHERS/IGNITION fuse (10 amp) . I figured no big deal and replaced it. Turned on the key and blew the same fuse again. Did this once more then decided I had some diagnosing to do. I have found that if I unplug the ECM, the electrical system is all good , the starter works, and the fuse stays intact. Plug the ECM back in and it blows again as soon as I turn the key. Obviously if I isolate the ECM from the system, I eliminate the issue.

My question is: Should I assume that the ECM has an internal short and needs replacement, or could it possibly be that when its plugged in , it completes a circuit (Flasher?Ignition circuit?) and causes the condition. I have looked all over for a legible wiring diagram, so I can grab a meter and check it out, but haven't been successful in finding one. The bike had no problems prior to this. Hopefully the V92 gurus here can gimme some insight.....Thanks in Advance!!

Last edited by motor_head; 11-28-2012 at 11:02 AM.
motor_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_head View Post
I was putting a new battery on my 2000 V92c and got ready to fire her up.....nothing. I checked the connections and polarity and all was good.
Just so myself if no one else, is clear here. You have been riding this 2000 V92c with NO prior problems and I am guessing the Batt went bad. You replaced it and now you blow the fuse with the ECM connected ONLY when you turn the key to on.

Not to long ago, someone got a ground slipped onto the positive terminal and was blowing fuses when trying to start. This is sounding similar. How many of what wiring do you have on each terminal??
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
motor_head

That's correct. No prior problems. My battery was old and had slowly lost power, so I replaced it. The key factor could possibly be that I jumped it from a car charger the last time I started it, but it didn't exhibit any problems at the time, and I was careful not to get the hot cable against a ground. I waited about a month after that ride before replacing it. The fuse doesn't blow until the key is switched on, then it's instantaneous. If the ECM is unplugged, all is good.
The battery has the standard leads, as well as a set of maintainer leads. From what I can tell, they show no signs of overheat/burns/arcing or evidence of shorting or grounding out. The new battery reads 12.5V across the terminals right now.
We're having some unseasonably warm weather for November here in Texas, and no being able to ride is killing me

I did manage to find a PDF file of a service manual, but when I enlarge the Wiring diagram enough to try and read, it becomes blurry and completely unlegible.

Last edited by motor_head; 11-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_04V92TC View Post
J...How many of what wiring do you have on each terminal??
You didn't answer this question. Do you only have one for ground and one for positive, or do you (like many of us) have other direct connections to the battery for added accessories?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
You didn't answer this question. Do you only have one for ground and one for positive, or do you (like many of us) have other direct connections to the battery for added accessories?
I actually thought from another rider on your model there are 2 additional wires besides a battery tender or something of that sort being fed from the Batt. A few months ago a rider had question about which wire was on the positive and negative but I cant find the post. Obviously this is in addition to a tender or GPS direct wiring. So your saying you have only a single positive lead to the batt and a single Negative lead to the batt in addition to the battery tender???? When you unhook the ECM do you hear the fuel pump spool up??
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
motor_head

OK, I'll try to clarify.

What I called the "standard leads" from the battery actually has two cables crimped into both the Positive and Negative cable. I am unsure of where the second of those two goes, but in addition to those, there is a smaller set of charger/maintainer leads attached to the terminals. In effect, three cables to each terminal.

As to the fuel pump, I do hear it pressure up when I turn the key with the ECM unplugged.

Last edited by motor_head; 11-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Vicbuilder

It is not unheard of the blow the ECM on those years. The ECM will come apart and 90% of the time you can see a burnt spot on the circuit board. But before you do that unhook both front turn signals from the harness. Sounds crazy but humor me, sometimes the sockets short out internally and can do crazy things with the rest of the bike.
Vicbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicbuilder View Post
It is not unheard of the blow the ECM on those years. The ECM will come apart and 90% of the time you can see a burnt spot on the circuit board. But before you do that unhook both front turn signals from the harness. Sounds crazy but humor me, sometimes the sockets short out internally and can do crazy things with the rest of the bike.
+1. Just read a rider resolving a blown fuse with that troubleshoot technique. Funny they would tie running lights into that circuit.

If you want to try used parts, pinrest used bike parts of Ohio have a good rep. The test run their bikes before parting them out.

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
motor_head

I'll check on those two suggestions and report back with my findings. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
motor_head

Update:

I isolated the two front turn signals by unplugging them inside the headlight bucket. For some reason now, instead of blowing the FLASHER/IGN fuse, its decided it would rather blow the ECM fuse. I replaced the ECM fuse, turned on the key and blew it again. I hooked the turn signals back up and with the ECM fuse blown, but with the FLASHER/IGN fuse intact, the flashers and turn signals function. Installed another ECM fuse, turned on the key and blew it a third time.

I removed the ECM and opened the case. Ever so gently so as not to touch any circuitry, I removed the circuit board and checked both sides with a magnifying glass. No sign of arcing or burned circuits or components. The decal seals on the ECM had been broken, so I guess someone had been inside it at some point in it's life.

I'm back to square one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement