Leather jacket cleaning - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
dahc

Default Leather jacket cleaning

What is the best way to clean your leather jacket?Should you use any type of conditioner on it?
2012 Victory Zach Ness Edition #30

Conquest Customs Ground Pounders,Lloyd's Torque Tubes,VFC-3 Fuel Controller and Pro One Oil Cooler
dahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahc View Post
What is the best way to clean your leather jacket?Should you use any type of conditioner on it?
You spill something on it already?
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
ammo_umb

I use the same leather conditioner I use on car seats.

2008 V-Star 1100 Custom Bobber project

2011 Crimson XR with Forged Highway Bars / Hard Bags / Passenger Backrest / Tall OEM Windshield / OEM Highway Bar Closeouts / Hardbag Protection Bars. Ness goodies including Smooth Layback Plate Frame/Mount, black Rad 3 Mirrors, black deep cut grips, black deep cut drivers floorboards, black deep cut shifter/brake pegs, and black deep cut passenger pegs. Witchdoctor black rack.
ammo_umb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
SteveYacht

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveYacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahc View Post
Leather is animal skin. It has pores and they get dirty, the leather will also dry out and eventually crack.

My (late) father used to make high end leather products by hand....... Wallets, belts, purses, bowling bags, saddles, etc. He taught me to use saddle soap, gently using an old towel or wash cloth, and in some cases a very soft, natural bristle brush. Wiping it clean and dry with another terry cloth towel..... all cotton.

To treat the leather and but some moisture back in, we used Lexol or a like product that contains lanolin......Just read the directions. Lexol also makes a cleaning product that works pretty damned well.

I use this same method on leather interiors, chaps, furniture, fine shoes (then shoe polish) and any high quality leather products.

What ever you do NEVER, EVER use Armor All or any other like product on any leather. THey are all petroleum based products with some degree of silicone. These will only server to dry up the hide and ruin it. Mink oil will make some leather water resistant, but it will also attack cotton threads........... have a pair of deerskin gloves that are coming apart because of this.

Good luck
U.S. Army Veteran
1968 Honda CB350
1973 Norton 750 Commando
1978 Suzuki 1000
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
1985 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country
SteveYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Bogman

Default old leather jackets

I have two leather jackets (Brooks). One was my Dad's from before I was born. He gave it to me about 30 years ago. It's about 50 years old. The other I got in college. It's about 25 years old.

If they get dirty, like lots of bug guts, I wipe them off with a slightly damp cloth and let them dry hanging in my closet. I use mink oil (in a paste like consistency) on them, but only about once per year or so. The oil soaks right in. I hang them to dry in the closet.

I have considered trying something different, but with 50 years without any issues, why change.
Bogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
dahc

Quote:
Originally Posted by depot picker View Post
You spill something on it already?
no not yet.just wanted to know how to take care of it.
2012 Victory Zach Ness Edition #30

Conquest Customs Ground Pounders,Lloyd's Torque Tubes,VFC-3 Fuel Controller and Pro One Oil Cooler
dahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveYacht View Post
Leather is animal skin. It has pores and they get dirty, the leather will also dry out and eventually crack.

My (late) father used to make high end leather products by hand....... Wallets, belts, purses, bowling bags, saddles, etc. He taught me to use saddle soap, gently using an old towel or wash cloth, and in some cases a very soft, natural bristle brush. Wiping it clean and dry with another terry cloth towel..... all cotton.

To treat the leather and but some moisture back in, we used Lexol or a like product that contains lanolin......Just read the directions. Lexol also makes a cleaning product that works pretty damned well.

I use this same method on leather interiors, chaps, furniture, fine shoes (then shoe polish) and any high quality leather products.

What ever you do NEVER, EVER use Armor All or any other like product on any leather. THey are all petroleum based products with some degree of silicone. These will only server to dry up the hide and ruin it. Mink oil will make some leather water resistant, but it will also attack cotton threads........... have a pair of deerskin gloves that are coming apart because of this.

Good luck
Great info!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
vindex1963
Premium Member

You could ride in the rain like I do.
Power Commander III USB
87.15 HP
100.11 TQ
Tuned by Thunder Mfg
Dyno Tune Thread
Oil lab results

2009 FLHTCU
"Some people are immune to good advice" -Breaking Bad-
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
so-crates

Lexol. THat stuff ROCKS!
2003 Vegas - straight pipes, Big Sucker air filter kit, black powder coated everything - foot controls, handlebars, clutch and brake housing, fork lowers, luggage rack, wheels, digital speedo with powder coated housing. Relocated key switch, red plug wires. Mustang solo seat. LED ring blinkers in front. Black DEI pipe wrap.
so-crates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
ftwflh

Send a message via Yahoo to ftwflh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogman View Post
I have two leather jackets (Brooks). One was my Dad's from before I was born. He gave it to me about 30 years ago. It's about 50 years old. The other I got in college. It's about 25 years old.

If they get dirty, like lots of bug guts, I wipe them off with a slightly damp cloth and let them dry hanging in my closet. I use mink oil (in a paste like consistency) on them, but only about once per year or so. The oil soaks right in. I hang them to dry in the closet.

I have considered trying something different, but with 50 years without any issues, why change.
DITTO hear.I still have my old Brooks jacket (gf wears it at times)]
A good jacket dont need "cleaning" wipe off bug juice seal it wear it.
The older and stained and cracked they get the better they are.
1996 GMC truck
2005 Trailblazer
ftwflh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement