Communicators - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
zchiefn31

Default Communicators

I'm interested in which communicators you guys use. Bluetooth or intercom? Thanks for your responses.
zchiefn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchiefn31 View Post
I'm interested in which communicators you guys use. Bluetooth or intercom? Thanks for your responses.
2004 TC, CB on both (about to start the install on the 2011 Vision). I have used the BT from the GPS for my music and GPS calls. Then went to JM CB which tapped aux out from the GPS to my headset so had music, CB, and GPS calls as well as BT from phone to GPS for incoming call in case of emergency at home while on longer trips.

I personnally, like IComm VOX with my pax when they are back there (wife or daughter) but they don't ride with me that often. CB is a pricey way to go so it depends on how much of the features your going to use. I ride with a group that uses the CB for the most part a fair amount but not enough to be a pain. I like the felxability when we switch lead to talk to back/forth for change of plans and CB offers commonailty over BT. So, maybe look at a couple additional questions on how you plan to use it.

Are you riding solo majority of the time, 2up, and/or do you ride with a group that you would want to have some form of communicaiton with that would take you down the CB route?

CB head unit is required to take advantage of the ICOMM package/software along with a couple cables and I believe you will also have to purchase the riders headset that has the passenger/rider connectors in it (if it is like the vision).

Do you have a GPS, if so, is it BlueTooth. Will you tie it into your ICom (Im assuming you have the GPS plug like the Vision for a seperate Audio input beyone the Aux/Ipod)

I paid the extra cash and am happy with IComm and CB installed on both bikes.

Safe ridin
Tim
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Term

I just bought a Sena SMH10 Dual. Got it installed and charged last night. Me and the wife sat in the house and talked with our helmets on. I think it's going to work pretty well, seems to have good sound quality and should be loud enough. From the reviews I read most people had good things to say about it. I paired it with my IPHONE, and it has a AUX input if I prefer to use that. Using bluetooth with my phone can drain it pretty quickly, so I like it has the aux input. I only wanted it so me and the wife could communicate when she rides with me and the connecting to my phone, not sure how bluetooth would work with other riders. I will give it a good testing this weekend, I hope.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
zchiefn31

Tim, this is my first cycle in many years so I have yet to develop a riding group. I will ride 2up with my bride so I want to communicate with her during our travels. Haven't yet decided on CB or GPS. Started with the XCT, two Shoei Quest helmets and riding gear. Now for the goodies.
zchiefn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Goatlocker95

Another vote for the Sena. I have the SM-10 as well but the SM-5 is cheaper and will most likely do everything you want (it wasn't available when I bought my setup).

The SM-10 sells for $284.25 a pair on Revzilla.com while the SM-5 is $186.71. The SM-10 has a range of 900 meters with a 12 hour talk time. The SM-5 has a 400 meeter range and 8 hours of talk time. Another option is the SM-5 with a built in FM receiver which goes for $119.25 each.

If you are only going to use the intercom with your wife or someone close to you then the range won't matter. As for talk time, your call on if the extra 4 hours of talk time is worth $100 bucks.

You can connect any Bluetooth enabled device in addition to the intercom (i.e. GPS). To share a Bluetooth enabled device between you and your passenger, or connect a non-Bluetooth enabled device you will need the SM-10 dual stream Bluetooth stereo transmitter. For external communications though it is limited to systems that use Honda Gold Wings and Harley Davidson accessory 5 or 7 pin DIN cables.

I use the SM-10 to connect to my Midland 75-822 portable CB. It can also be used to connect to most FRMS radios. But as far as I know it doesn't allow you to share those connections between you and your passenger.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
visionjohnny

Hows Blue Tooth Gloves
http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2012/11/30/...rcycle-gloves/
Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Jagular

Bluetooth. We use the Nolan integrated BT units.

'12 Vegas 8 Ball - Arlen Ness HD cafe fairing, MBW LED signals, side-mount plate, factory cruise, heated grips, Corbin heated seat, more...

'12 Nissan Leaf SL - red

'10 Cross Country Tour, black, way too much to list now. Some videos are available here: My Youtube Channel Feed

'01 Honda Magna, black, too much to list
Jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
GreatWhiteNorth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchiefn31 View Post
Remember this important yes/no consideration zchiefn31:
Helmets without intercoms - I pick coffee stop.
Helmets with intercoms - bride picks coffee stops.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
kmoulds

Another vote for the Sena SMH10. I've been usung it with a mate who rides a HD and it is great. If you want to add a CB then you can do this by using the SR10 unit. But the best thing is NO WIRES.

Cheers Kym
kmoulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Lem
Lifetime Premium

My better half and I have a pair of Nolan N104 helmets with bluetooth setups in them, fairly pricey but very comfy and durable and warm for colder rides. I have it setup so my helmet is the "master" which is connected to my phone/bike and my wifes helmet connects to my helmet allowing us to communicate just as if we were standing in a quiet room together. We havent tried it but I believe we could even set it up so that her helmet had seperate bluetooth connection to her phone so we could listen to different tunes if we wanted to (Kind of moot now that I have a bike with speakers).

These helmets are superb in cold weather/longer rides, I love the modular design over a more standard full face, and the flip down sunshield is sweet. We dont wear them much in warm weather as we wear half helmets and just talk normally (Or yell on the freeway lol). One thing I do notice though, is with the fullface on, I gotta wear ear plugs or my ears will be ringing after any ride longer than a few minutes from the exhaust sound echoing around in the helmet.

Clarity of the Nolan system is superb, and once you get the hang of how to use it its very user friendly. Battery life can be a little dissappointing as on a long trip we have run out, but thats to be expected with battery powered equipment.

2009 Pearl Red V-Star 950
Sold
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement