Wrist pain from handlebar angle - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
orbiker

Default Wrist pain from handlebar angle

Does anyone else have wrist pain from handlebar angle?

I have been riding Harleys for a long long time. Since I have started riding the XCT (about 2500 mile so far) my wrists have started to hurt after riding. I think the angle is ergonomically incorrect.

Is this happening to anyone else?
KEN

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Nope. Not yet. I did find the stock bars to be too short though. Going to some Plus 2" bars fixed that. Gonna try some adjustable Ness apes next and see how I like them.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
RonBou

Garage

You can try adjusting the bars up or down. There are 4 allen bolts under the bars to give you several inches of adjustments. Just be cautious that your clutch lever (also adjustable just a little) doesn't hit the display button. Don't ask mde how I know that.

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour (Stage 1)
2011 Victory Cross Country (traded in on XCT)
2009 Triumph Rocket III Touring (traded in on XC)
1998 Valkyrie Tourer (Hydralocked - sold as is)
1966 Honda 305 Dream (for sale)
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler (project)
1982 Honda CB900 Custom (need to put back together)
RonBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Also, grinding off the hole locating pin in the switch housing will allow full adjustment. That pin is there for consistent assembly at the factory. It has no practical purpose after that.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Lostintexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post

I have been riding Harleys for a long long time. Since I have started riding the XCT (about 2500 mile so far) my wrists have started to hurt after riding. I think the angle is ergonomically incorrect.

KEN
I have noticed it some. Had the same "problem" on the Goldwing, although you could adjust them some if you knew how. Trouble is, these are solid bar so short of taking a pipe bender to them and taking the chance of popping off chrome you are kinda stuck.
Some solutions:
Let go of the death grip. When in traffic and working the controls they are fine, but you payed for a cruise and it is a good enough one, use it. Let your hands rest lightly with thumbs on the bottom. Your hands are still in position for what ever jumps in front of you. Move around and change positions, it helps. The XCT is very true going down the road in every condition I have ridden in so far. Surprising for a bar mounted fairing.
Adjust the height of the bars. Two of the screws are enough to move the bars up and down. Make sure you have a heavy blanket all the way across your tank, they let go all at once. I learned that one on a Yamaha.
A throttle rocker helps but the XT has a very "long" throttle so some may not find it any help.

One person mentioned the handlebars are too short, IMHO they are fine but the factory seating is too far back. Move forward an inch or so and I find the handling and agility improves quite a bit. Just my observation, YMMV

Good luck on finding a solution and be sure to share it. I'm in if you find a better way.

Cheers
Lostintexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
RICZ

+1 on what Bbob said about those locator pins, ground those off right away so I could have the levers at a proper angle for me. BTW, just snug the clamping screws enough to hold the adjustment, but loose enough so in the event of a go down, the assembly will rotate, saving the levers so you can continue the ride.

Lostintexas suggested a throttle rocker - I won't leave home without one. They can be rotated to different positions for different conditions, providing you get the kind that grips by friction. A rocker allows you to loosen your grip and relax your hands, a key to all day riding. You can shorten the throttle rotation with a 1/4 turn adapter from Lloydz. Its not that dramatic, just speeds things up a bit and shortens the rotation a little. Easy install.

At 5'-10" and 29" inseam, I found the seating position a bit far back, so when I had the saddle customized (in person) I had him move me up about an inch. Viola! That did it, no custom bars needed and a more comfortable reach to the foot controls. I also had heat installed in the saddle - I love it!

Want to know exactly where your grips should be? Do this: Sit on your bike with it straight up and feet up and with a ruler or other straight stick in each hand, close your eyes and position your hands where you ideally want them to be when riding. Open your eyes, then do what it takes to match that location of those sticks.
2010 Red XR. 2007 Red Chrysler 300C. Compliment the lines of your Cross bike with the best and cheapest license plate laydown bracket. Now even better. http://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...highlight=ricz
Steady your Cross bike on your lift with this cheap device...
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...t=lift+adapter
RICZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
orbiker

I agree with all the comments.
I have cruise control to help with the straight roads, but the curves should not be carved in cruise. I also have a backrest, so I don't need to grip the grips very hard.
I think my arms are just about 2" too short. I am 5'10" and must have short arms. If I lean forward I can correct the forearm to wrist angle (it should be as straight as possible). Elbows should also be bent slightly and mine are not.
I will be putting the Ness Modular bars on and then get the seat customized to sit a little down and forward a bit.
I think all of the Victory Motorcycles were built for people 6'2" or taller.

My mobile easy chair will be ready to roll the backroads of the USA soon enough. KEN

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Here are some pics of how someone on the club forum fixed this issue. Fairly self explanatory I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000210.jpg (32.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000211.jpg (30.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000219.jpg (17.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000226.jpg (28.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post

KEN
Yes. The angle sucks.
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
RICZ

Bbob, I'm assuming in picture 3 that the lower one is the end product of the bending? More angle was added?
2010 Red XR. 2007 Red Chrysler 300C. Compliment the lines of your Cross bike with the best and cheapest license plate laydown bracket. Now even better. http://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...highlight=ricz
Steady your Cross bike on your lift with this cheap device...
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...t=lift+adapter
RICZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement