Bike stalls while riding/shifting gears.... - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
newoldrider

Default Bike stalls while riding/shifting gears....

I have a 2011 XC and when I down shift I have a habit of revving the engine slightly just prior to dropping the bike into the next lower gear and releasing the clutch. I've shifted this way on every bike I have ever owned and have never had a bike stall on me before. My cross country stalls almost every time. Has anyone else experienced this? What is wrong with my Victory?

I purchased this bike used and have owned it for two weeks now. I appreciate any help.
newoldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldrider View Post
I have a 2011 XC and when I down shift I have a habit of revving the engine slightly just prior to dropping the bike into the next lower gear and releasing the clutch. I've shifted this way on every bike I have ever owned and have never had a bike stall on me before. My cross country stalls almost every time. Has anyone else experienced this? What is wrong with my Victory?

I purchased this bike used and have owned it for two weeks now. I appreciate any help.
Once the bike's fully broken in, you will be able to blip the throttle a bit more, but do a slow blip compared to what you're used to. Do a fast one, and it will shut off. Breaking it in along with you getting used to the kind of blip you can do will take care of the issue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
newoldrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Once the bike's fully broken in, you will be able to blip the throttle a bit more, but do a slow blip compared to what you're used to. Do a fast one, and it will shut off. Breaking it in along with you getting used to the kind of blip you can do will take care of the issue.

The bike has 15k miles on it so I would expect it to be broken in at this point. I've also tried giving it small "blips" and it still cuts the engine off. This is my first Victory so I'm still trying to figure the bike out. There are some other anomalies which I find a little odd as as well.

I know I need a new battery would this cause it to stall?
newoldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Lostintexas

Stop doing that. The problem should go away. It is nothing but a "bad" habit and has no function for a Vic.

If you get the stall with the clutch, there is a switch in there somewhere that needs to be fixed. Only you can tell the difference.
Lostintexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Speedblue

Default Mods?

Is the bike stock. Does it have customized exhaust. IF it has modified or aftermarket mufflers and air filter was the fuel system reflashed or stage 1 installed at least. If not the bike may be running to lean.
Speedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
ridealittle

if you try to blip the throttle on my 2011 xr it makes the engine cough. i just quit doing it.
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
RICZ

newoldrider,
I installed a Llodz IAV that helped that situation on my XR. I also raised the idle speed to 1,000 by adjusting the stop screw behind the right cheese wedge and near the front jug.
I'm curious as to what RPMs you use for shifting. Too many use revs that are too low. Try @ 3,000 if you are one of the many.
RICZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Goatlocker95

Increasing the engine speed to match the bikes speed when downshifting isn't necessarily a bad thing. But you should keep the rev up until you engage the clutch.

Victories HATE to be blip'd.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Tarzan
Lifetime Premium

I can and do "blip" my throttle as a regular practice.I have to just to downshift. It would die sometimes when I first got it, but after I had it tuned correctly I haven't had that problem since. Sorry guys, but the engine dieing like that is not normal.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
06vitory

Try cleaning the throttle body
06vitory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement