Thoughts around Loud Pipes - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Rider's Lounge > Victory Forums Lounge

Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
OkieHoss
Lifetime Premium

I think loud helps thats a no brainer but I think some people have the "That motorcycle will give way or he will move over" People have that Im bigger than you attitude so move..My bike is loud but Ive still had some move over on me..I hit the stebel air horn and stayed on it once as a Van that knew I was there for miles (lady driver) . Her husband was in the pass seat..She pulled back over after I laid on the horn for a minute..Then He pointed at her and shook his head.. I flipped her off with the universal I love you sign and he pointed over his shoulder as to say it was her not him..It looked like he was ripn her ass too..
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
ftwflh

Send a message via Yahoo to ftwflh

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I have stage 1 pipes. They aren't particularly loud. I had three people pull out in front of me today. Horn is weak too. Guess all that's left to do is carry a firearm. Those make a lot of noise and save lives. I like life. I have always been a saver.
This reminds me of what I read in Easyriders years ago.
"Little old lady hits a biker tells cop I didnt see him" same little lady calls cops later saying she saw "a biker with a gun on his belt"
Moral of the story is carry a gun and be seen
On the loud pipes saving lives......if you live in deer country they do help.But most the time it is because the owner looks at is as I do MUSIC TO THE EARS
1996 GMC truck
2005 Trailblazer
ftwflh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
KOTOR

People driving cars make minor or major mistakes everyday. Sometimes these mistakes end up causing accidents sometimes not. Many accidents are avoided just because other drivers were more attentive at the time then the person making the mistake. I think this happens way more often then we realize on a daily basis. I try to be the extra attentive person that's going to avoid the accident, double so when on the XCT.

I love the sound of a sweet sounding exhaust. Terribly loud pipes for the sake of being loud or supposedly saving lives just doesn't make sense to ME. That being said I smile sometimes when the young guy on a sportbike or a v-twin with a loud exhaust pulls up to a stoplight and constantly blips the throttle. They are enjoying listening to their own exhaust note and also saying "hey look at me". Thats cool. If I were young again I guess I can see myself wanting to do the same thing.

When on a motorcycle you will be cut off by other drivers. That's a given. Most of the time it was an honest mistake. I won't try to kick their door, knock the mirror off, or god forbid pull out my .45 and start shooting. If I'm doing my job while riding I should be able to avoid the situation. Lets hope that someday I won't be the inattentive driver or rider.
KOTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
ftwflh

Send a message via Yahoo to ftwflh

Now on blip of the throttle just to hear pips is BS sometimes.On my old Shovelhead if you get to a stop light for more than a minute or so the carb (yes a carb)will load up a nd if you dont blip it will stall.It is tuned to a tee for riding but hates to idle for long periods.Old bikes have quirks and all the old Harleys I have rode are like this.
1996 GMC truck
2005 Trailblazer
ftwflh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
fishslapr

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I have stage 1 pipes. They aren't particularly loud. I had three people pull out in front of me today. Horn is weak too. Guess all that's left to do is carry a firearm. Those make a lot of noise and save lives. I like life. I have always been a saver.
this was good!!

2011 Crossroads
2003 Honda XR650L
fishslapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
2Mont

I think that loud pipes may occasionally help you be heard enough to draw attention to you. Not the so loud your neighbors hate you loud, just loud enough.
Being aware and seen and everything should be a given.
So, if all of those good habits are on your side, and a driver happens to avoid you once or twice because they heard your loud pipes... can't be a bad thing! I will take my chances with being heard more often than not.

Go loud or go quiet, just go safely!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #17
agm1563

Garage

I always smile when I go down a parking lot and set off car alarms, just one of those feel good things.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
Ballbreaker

Loud pipes are fine, its the assholes that think every traffic light is a starting tree at the drag strip. They race through the gears for 15 or 20 seconds and finally reach highway speeds.
Ballbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
8BallHammer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbreaker View Post
Loud pipes are fine, its the assholes that think every traffic light is a starting tree at the drag strip. They race through the gears for 15 or 20 seconds and finally reach highway speeds.
Must be a Harley if it takes them that long to hit highway speeds. On my Hammer, it's about 1/2 that time
Big City Thunder Thunder Monsters
Controls 2" forward
Blacked out turn signals
De-badged

2013 AF Green CC
Mostly stock

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
8BallHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
SilentUnicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BallHammer View Post
Must be a Harley if it takes them that long to hit highway speeds. On my Hammer, it's about 1/2 that time
Advertisement