Madstad Brackets! - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
BThomas
Premium Member

Default Madstad Brackets!

I wrote a little bit about this upgrade a couple weeks ago on another thread, but now after riding with them in some Oregon winter weather for several hundred miles and after listening to guys talk almost everyday about their frustration with upgrading their windshields, I thought I owed it to some of you to mention these brackets again!

I came to the XC after riding some very nice sport tourers that are excellent at wind management (think bikes close to Goldwings) and am used to that kind of ride.

When I first rode my new XC with the upgraded Ness Flip screen, I thought all was well until I got above 70... At 70 and above, I was overwhelmed with dirty air bouncing my head around like a bobble head doll.... At first I couldn't believe I spent $20K for a bike that I couldn't ride the Interstate with.

After reading about the Madstad (thanks Johnah5!) on the Forum, i thought I'd give it a try as (at $100) it was less than most wind screens.

I installed it and some soft lowers that I bought off ebay and I have to say that wind management on my XC is perfect for me--no issues up to over 100mph, I can hear my stereo fine, my head doesn't bounce around and my wife says all is good and doesn't ask me to slow down!!!! I put my Ness Flip as low as it goes in the bracket where my field of vision is right over the top of it--perfect with the rain we have here! I am 6'3, almost 6'4 and usually wear a half-helmet.

Madstad sells their updated bracket for our bikes. It fits in the stock fairing holes and uses the stock wind screen holes--no drilling, no added plate; 10 minute install. It has two round finger adjustable set screws that loosen/tighten it up roadside for adjustment (takes about 10 seconds). It adjusts a few inches up/down/forward/rear with whatever screen you attach to it. I've been using my Ness Flip but will put on my stock screen once it warms up a bit out here.

If you use a dark screen and keep it below your field of view, you don't even see the brackets which look much better in person (you forget about them) than they do in pictures...

Anyway, I just shake my head when people say how bad the wind management is with the XC; it's obvious to me that those folks who criticize it have never used a Madstad!

I understand that wind management is very dependent upon your body size, style of helmet, etc., but if you haven't found your sweet spot yet, give this thing a try!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-25 10.21.34.jpg (22.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-25 10.21.44.jpg (30.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-25 10.22.08.jpg (29.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-28 10.42.40.jpg (21.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-11-22 14.12.18.jpg (42.5 KB, 82 views)
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

+1000
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Emack76

I'm fairly short at about 5'8". I currently look through the stock xct shield. I really have to crane my neck to see over it. This sucks when the fog whites out the shield!

It sounds like this bracket will allow me to adjust so I can more easily see over the shield right?

Sent using Motorcycle.com Free App
Central Missouri
Emack76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emack76 View Post
I'm fairly short at about 5'8". I currently look through the stock xct shield. I really have to crane my neck to see over it. This sucks when the fog whites out the shield!

It sounds like this bracket will allow me to adjust so I can more easily see over the shield right?

Yes, but you will need a new windshield too, because the stock XCT uses a different bracketing system. I would recommend an 11" shield for your height. There is a Klockwerks shield for sale in the classifieds section for $100 shipped that would work well for you I think. Just make sure you have rubber washers on both sides of the shield.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
ChuglyXJ

It doesn't appear that you would be able to adjust lower then stock height. I replaced the stock shield on my XCT because I was not happy looking through it as well, I'm 5'10" and the Klock Werks is perfect for me, but I bet you could find a stock XC shield and this setup for less then a KW with out cracking issues.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Emack76

How confident are you on that recommendation bbob?

Central Missouri
Emack76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
How confident are you on that recommendation bbob?

I'm not sure which part you are asking about but yes; an 11" shield should work just fine for your height. It's too low for me but should be ok for you.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
BThomas
Premium Member

Quote:

As BBob said, you would need a different windscreen than your stock XCT shield which is both taller and bracketed differently than a stock XC shield.

You and I are so far apart height-wise that I can't begin to tell you what size screen would work best but the Madstad allows you to lower whatever size screen you have lower than it would be w/o the bracket (at least an inch or so).

If you're trying to end up with a screen that you look over as opposed to through, I would start by trying to find a screen that, when installed w/o Madstad, is comfortable for you to see over by an inch or so. That way, you would be able to adjust it down for rain or up for long distance touring... (BBob, do you agree with this statement? You've probably tried more shields on your bracket than I have)
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
If you're trying to end up with a screen that you look over as opposed to through, I would start by trying to find a screen that, when installed w/o Madstad, is comfortable for you to see over by an inch or so. That way, you would be able to adjust it down for rain or up for long distance touring... (BBob, do you agree with this statement? You've probably tried more shields on your bracket than I have)
Yes. That's a very fair statement IMHO. I'm 5' 9.5" and look over a 13" shield perfectly without the Madstad bracket. Using the same shield on the Madstad bracket I can adjust it with it at its lowest position to tilt back and look over it the same way and about the same angle as it was without the bracket or I can tilt it up and forward to both raise the shield height and change the angle so the wind is directed higher over my head and whomever I might have on the back. I can raise it high enough to barely look over the top or high enough to look through it for maximum comfort in either cold or extreme hot weather. We desert rats have learned to keep as much wind off our bodies as we can on super hot days so we dehydrate slower.

IMHO the Madstad bracket is a must-have item for any XC or XCT rider. Besides the fair price; the results are fantastic. One time I hit a strong head wind with the shield as vertical as I could make it. My gas mileage dropped as much as 10 mpg so I just reached up, while still riding down the road, loosened the two top adjusting bolts with knobs on them and leaned the shield as far back as I comfortably could and gained back 8 mpg or so.

Only the Vision, in the Victory line up, has an adjustable height windshield. This is a close second for height adjustment and even better for angle adjustment.

IMHO, even if someone does not care for the looks of them, at the price they are still a must-have for touring because conditions change all the time on the road. With the Madstad bracket; we can adjust to those changes easily just like closing or adjusting the various crash bar lowers available or stock like on the XCT.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
Savage

I've got the Baggershield on order (two piece height adjustable 8'' to 14'') and i'm thinking of these Madstad brackets as well.

Thats gotta give you a lot of height and angle options.

Anyone tried this combination ?
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement