leaving bike tied down on trailer - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
bcflyguy
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Send a message via MSN to bcflyguy
Default leaving bike tied down on trailer

Need advice please.
I have loaded my 2012 XCT on a trailer which is in my garage, ready to leave for Arizona on Jan 1 2013. Is there a problem with leaving the bike tied down compressed in the front shocks for the next 5 weeks until I leave. Will I wreck anything like seals or anything??
Information please
Thank You
bcflyguy aka Neil
bcflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
toejam

If its going to be that long of time before you leave, I personally would only apply enough pull on the straps to keep the bike upright until you get ready to leave. Why put the seals under undue pressure if its just going to sit?

2010 Midnight Cherry XC 116 Big Bore - Gone
2006 Hammer - Gone
toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Probably wouldn't hurt anything but why risk it. Just lean it over on the kickstand till the day before you leave. Do you have it on a trickle charger?
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
gibson
Lifetime Premium

If it was mine, I would not for that long. Only for the trip.
gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Pop

Garage

Putting compression on springs doesn't affect the set of the springs but it does induce force. The forks of a bike are not intended to be reservoirs for the stored force resulting from spring compression for extended durations. That doesn't mean that the forks will explode or show any sign of failure from doing it. I haven't been exposed to the possible results because I haven't considered loading my forks for that amount of time.
Unless and until you have a compelling reason to put the forks in compression then it seems sensible to leave the forks unloaded.

Where I lead me I will travel
Where I need me I will call me
I'm no fool I'll be ready
God knows I will be
And in the meantime make a little money
And buy a little mercy

That was written by Townes Van Zandt
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
dtmmil
Premium Member

When I raced cars(I know its different) but I was always told never leave them bound down, and when possible take all the weight off the springs, same with snowmobiles, so I treat my motorcycles the same.
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, thrush glasspack mod conversion(#24201),Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(8*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
so-crates

I sure wouldnt leave it like that if it were mine...

Heck, they talk about flat spots on your tires just from leaving the bike sitting there too long without moving it (at least, the ads for those bike lifts say you can get flat spots if you lewave your bike too long...Ive never seen it, as I live in CA and my bikes never sit that long )
2003 Vegas - straight pipes, Big Sucker air filter kit, black powder coated everything - foot controls, handlebars, clutch and brake housing, fork lowers, luggage rack, wheels, digital speedo with powder coated housing. Relocated key switch, red plug wires. Mustang solo seat. LED ring blinkers in front. Black DEI pipe wrap.
so-crates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
bcflyguy
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Default Thank you

Thanks to all for the information. Much appreciated
I will immediatly unload the forks LOL
bcflyguy
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Pckrfan

Sounds like you have a space issue that would cause you to leave the bike on the trailer for that long a period of time. I bought Baxley chocks for two reasons. One, I could leave the bikes on the trailer for an extended period of time if need be without having to tie them down like I would for a trip. Second, it allows me to,self load both bikes without worrying about getting them centred or getting another pair of hands to hold the bike upright while I tie them down. There are other similar chocks on the market that may be better for you, but I chose Baxley and would never be without ' em.
XC/XR heated tour seat & bag bars
Ness derby covers & Rad III mirrors
Avon heated grips, air horn and lotsa blacked out stuff. (Green Goblin artwork by Bad Boy Designs in Peoria AZ)

Artificial intelligence is absolutely 100% NO match for natural stupidity!
Pckrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
bcflyguy
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pckrfan View Post
Sounds like you have a space issue that would cause you to leave the bike on the trailer for that long a period of time. I bought Baxley chocks for two reasons. One, I could leave the bikes on the trailer for an extended period of time if need be without having to tie them down like I would for a trip. Second, it allows me to,self load both bikes without worrying about getting them centred or getting another pair of hands to hold the bike upright while I tie them down. There are other similar chocks on the market that may be better for you, but I chose Baxley and would never be without ' em.
Thank you for the info Pckrfan. Where can I look at/ buy these Baxley chocks
Thanks bcflyguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement