Sounds like a cold drill motor - Page 4 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory V92C

Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #31
lawnstriper

Understood . The only rust I have is on the sprocket and shaft surface . None in the cover or case , just some black grime from the belt over time.
Thanks,
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh1 View Post
I had the same loose sprocket nut on my V92TC when I bought it this past spring. Beside using 262 (red) locktite on the nut,I also used one of the locktite retaining compounds (green - can't remember the number) on the splines between the shaft and pulley. Retaining compounds are designed to fill the space between parts such as where a bearing has wallowed out its housing. There was a fair amount of backlash from where the shaft had fretted away material from the pulley spline. My concern was that the nut only pulls the pulley onto the shaft. With increased backlash between the splines, it would be possible for alternating acceleration / deceleration to let the pulley begin to slip behind the nut - then it's back to square one again.

On a technical note, the red dust is the result of "fretting". Fretting occurs when two pieces of metal are able to move against each other while under pressure. Microscopic particles of metal are ripped from the surface and they quickly oxidize. Since the pulley is steel (iron) you are seeing tiny rust particles.

I've put about 3k miles on it since the fix and recently pulled the cover and that pulley is just a tight as new.
Good info here MH1! Got to get that number for the "green' goop.. hehe Thanks for the addition! No one likes to worry bout a loose pulley.

Looks like your about to be back up and running lawnstripper. I do hope that was the issue and that you get some weather to ride in to check it out...

Tim
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #33
mh1

Garage

I believe I used 680. I'm out of town for a few days so I can't go out to my shop and check for sure. 680 is high strength and for larger gaps. If the pulley is still somewhat tight on the shaft then might use 609. It is much thinner.

There is lots of good info on the loctite web site. Here is a link to their catalog.

http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_d...inal545410.pdf

Go to page 120 to read about retaining compounds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #34
lawnstriper

Thanks guys , appreciate the help :thumbsup

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #35
mh1

Garage

Lawnstriper, it sounds like your pulley is not nearly as far gone as mine was. So after this fix you should be in great shape. Ride it and enjoy! These are great bikes!

BTW, I believe that big nut is supposed to be 48mm but that is not a common metric size. I'm sure Victory would sell you one It's a good thing that 1-7/8" fits

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #36
lawnstriper

Yeah , I looked real close at it and can't see any indication it even moved . Splines seem to be snug fit . No backlash that I can see.
I believe it will be fine as soon as I get the tools to re-torque the nut. Already got the Loctite.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #37
lawnstriper

Here are a couple pics in case someone else needs the info also
ImageUploadedByMO Free1354641334.338471.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1354641350.392564.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1354641367.254098.jpg

Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #38
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh1 View Post
Lawnstriper, it sounds like your pulley is not nearly as far gone as mine was. So after this fix you should be in great shape. Ride it and enjoy! These are great bikes!

BTW, I believe that big nut is supposed to be 48mm but that is not a common metric size. I'm sure Victory would sell you one It's a good thing that 1-7/8" fits

I checked my socket. It's craftsman 1 7/8" 3/4 drive. Reduced to 1/2 for my torque wrench. Hope that helps. There are different positions you can put the retaining ring on to ensure it is snug clockwise against the nut. Looking for the all good report.
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #39
Bugkiller

I have an '04 TC that makes the same noise. The noise isn't constant though, it will do it in neutral if I rev the engine up to around 2800 rpm's, so it couldn't be the drive sprokett nut, right?
I reached up there and the nut isn't loose and there's no red dust. The bike has 12,500 miles on it and the last owner had a new belt installed at 7500. (It came off, so it probably was the nut).
I've read on here that the starter constantly turns on this engine, and it could be a starter bearing, but again, the noise isn't constant, only around 2800 rpm's.
Other than this noise, the bike runs fine.
Do any of you have the same noise on your V92tc? Could it just be something typical to this engine?
Bugkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #40
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugkiller View Post
I have an '04 TC that makes the same noise. The noise isn't constant though, it will do it in neutral if I rev the engine up to around 2800 rpm's, so it couldn't be the drive sprokett nut, right?
I reached up there and the nut isn't loose and there's no red dust. The bike has 12,500 miles on it and the last owner had a new belt installed at 7500. (It came off, so it probably was the nut).
I've read on here that the starter constantly turns on this engine, and it could be a starter bearing, but again, the noise isn't constant, only around 2800 rpm's.
Other than this noise, the bike runs fine.
Do any of you have the same noise on your V92tc? Could it just be something typical to this engine?
Hmm, nothing while in gear. What oil ya using just out of curiosity and you are changing it no greater than 4K or about right? Did it quiet down after last oil change??

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Sponsored Links
Advertisement